Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

First time...

ownedbycats
April 10th, 2009, 11:28 AM
at an off leash dog park. It was so nice that we wanted to be out and about with our puppy so Dad and I took her to the off leash dog park, the one that is fenced in. (her obedience still needs work when there are distractions present) Our yard just isn't big enough to let her really run, and she needs the exercise. She has now had all her shots, so no worries there. She was so funny. She spotted the other dogs running around before we even got the car doors open. when we took her leash off she flattened out into her "racing" positon and tore in huge circles, stopping to sniff any dog she could see:crazy:, except the Saint Bernard. there was a pack of about four dogs, a couple labs, a retriever, and an I-don't-know-what chasing each other around. Sunshine caught up to them, they sniffed noses and when she managed to outrun all the bigger older dogs she stopped in bewilderment wondering where they all went. When she realized she was now being chased instead of chasing someone else, she started crying. (The other dogs never touched her, in fact they completely ignored her and ran right past). We walked in a circle around the park, and found that about a third of it turns into pond in the spring (we didn't know this and had no towel with us.) At one point there is a bunch of branches laid across the mud that the people use, the dogs just splash through the mud, except for ours, she tried to balance on the "logs" with the people. there's a board walk over the deepest part of the puddle and again, Sunshine was one of only two dogs that didn't try to go through the water. the people were using the path, so she was using the path. She was really good about coming back to us, although she kept wanting to jump on all the people too. Jump on the people, jump on the dogs, race in circles:laughing:(Yes, i know, no jumping, but everyone she jumped on started to pet her, so it was hard to convince her that she can't do that.). She pretty much collapsed with exhaustion once we got her to stop moving, although I think she would have kept going if we let her.

ancientgirl
April 10th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Aww how cute! Sounds like she really had a blast!

hazelrunpack
April 10th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I'll bet she sleeps well tonight! :laughing: Sounds like a great day and a great park!

Etown_Chick
April 11th, 2009, 01:48 PM
owned,
yup, tha'ts a dog park all right! heheh. I am SO glad our lakes have receded..much easier on the car for the drive home.
She'll get the hang of the park - doggies teach each other. (Mine's chosen to only learn BAD things at the park, but at least he learns..I guess.)
I think you are very lucky to have a fence. We've pushed for one, at least by the busy road, but no luck.