Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Time to say goodbye to the kittens...

COCO350
April 9th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Hi all,

Well it's time to say goodbye to my babies, I knew getting into this that I would be the one crying,I'm really upset, maybe it's the weather, or hormones, or turning 50 in a month, or just plain tired with all the work here at the farm and Balou's diabetes + the 14 cats in the house, I think I might end up single:laughing: I can't stop worrying about these kitties, one woman is coming tomorrow morning to adopt, I have all these questions, DH thinks I'll scare her away, I might actually. Why do I feel like it's too soon, what about the moms, wont they react? I feel absolutely terrible taking them away...Next week, they're all leaving:sad: I just dont know how I'm gonna cope with saying goodbye to those little faces...geez..I wish I was stronger and not so sensitive...

Corinne

Winston
April 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Corinne

Why not take a picture of each of those beuatiful faces and make a scrapbook of your success! OMG that would be so neat to go back and look at them all! :thumbs up

Thanks for being another kitty angel! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
April 9th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Winston has a great idea, Corinne! :thumbs up A scrapbook of lives saved! The kittens have gotten a great start because of you. They'll bring their human companions love and joy--what a wonderful gift to give...all because of you. :grouphug:

COCO350
April 10th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Two of them have left this morning, was hard to let them go, the thing is, I'm having a hard time trusting people when it comes to animals...I've seen so much cruelty towards animals:sad: anyway, guess I dont have any other choice than to hope that they are decent people...and love these kittens as much as I have.

The scrapbook is a great idea, thanks

Jim Hall
April 10th, 2009, 10:00 AM
all ou can do is hope and pray thats why adoptions and rescues make you fill out forms and get references can you stay in touhch with the adopters ?

14+kitties
April 10th, 2009, 12:44 PM
It is very difficult to hand our babies over to other people. Even the ones my kids took!
May I make a few suggestions? You can sign a contract with them; you can stipulate that if for any reason they can't keep the kitten(s) that they come back to you; you can ask to do a home visit, both before and after the adoption; you can request the cat not be declawed, remains an indoor only cat, etc; you can, and should, charge for the kittens. Even if it's only a nominal amount. That lessens the chance that the people are taking them for snake food or science labs. You are perfectly within your right to do all of that.

This is a great sample contract that you can change to suit your own purposes.

http://www.theanimalspirit.com/sample.html

All of this does not make it any easier but it does help to ease some of the doubts. It is still within your right to tell the adoptee you have changed your mind about them adopting if you feel something is not right.

chico2
April 10th, 2009, 04:41 PM
14+,that's exactly what I would do,to be sure these kittens don't get declawed,dumped somewhere as they get older,or are turned in to breeding-machines like my neighbors 3 females:yell:

CoCo,you have done such a great job with these little ones,if for any reason you do not feel the people are right for "your"kittens,just say no.
I don't envy you,I would probably match 14+ number of cats,if I fostered.:cat: