Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I am so exhausted!

claw
April 9th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I have an odd case of insomnia. On weekdays when i have to go to school, i can not fall asleep. Sometimes i sleep an hour or two, but most times not at all. On the weekends i sleep like a baby. On weeknights i can't get my mind to be quiet, not for one minute. It's so frustrating.

I am soooo tired this week. It's not even funny. Sometimes i have to take a day off school to try and catch up on my sleep.

I am so stressed and unhappy when i'm this tired. :cry: I've tried so many things to help me sleep, but nothing really works and i don't want to go on sleeping pills.

I think i need a vacation.

Winston
April 10th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Claw I hear ya! I have those days too!

Have you tried things like reading or some kind of de stresser before you head of to bed? May sound a little strange but you must learn to shut your head off before you go to bed or you will always have trouble sleeping..

Dont let your school and stuff suffer though! its so important today to have a good education!

How is Karlton doing these days? maybe your worrying about him too much! and your folks! take it one day at a time its a lot easier to manage in small pieces!! :D

ancientgirl
April 10th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I have those days too. Stress plays a huge part of it, because your mind is constantly going on and on.

I sleep with a white noise machine. It helps me focus on the whooshing noise and not the quiet and the words in my head.

14+kitties
April 10th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Pick up one of your textbooks and start reading it. I bet it won't be long before you are sound asleep.
And if not, then you need to go see your doctor and have a long talk with him/her.

claw
April 15th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I talked to my councellor yesterday and i got a lot of stuff off my chest. Part of my insomnia problem may be because of the ADD meds that i am on. It's a stimulant so it's probably keeping me awake. I don't take it on weekends so the little vacations from the meds might be jerking my system around too much. I can't stop with med vacations though because it also makes my appetite go away and i've lost a lot of weight already. I'm naturally a small build, so weight loss is not helping me any. My councellor suggested a different type of ADD meds that she thinks might help to tone down the insomnia. I have to wait until sometime in may to see a psychiatrist to get the prescription though. :sad:

Karlton is doing great, by the way. Since he got neutered, his attitude has really improved. He is way more at ease now and is really playful.

ancientgirl, where did you buy your white noise machine? I really want to get one but i'm not sure where to look. I checked ebay, but the shipping rates are kinda expensive and there are none located in Canada.:confused:

14+kitties
April 15th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Hey Claw - try this site.......

http://www.fabove.ca/sound_conditioners.html?gclid=CM3f-5ui85kCFSQMDQodRA98SA

I am so glad to hear Karlton has settled so well. I hope everyone is doing their best to keep him inside. :fingerscr

TacoGrl
April 15th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I second the white noise machine...I don't have one, but I leave the bedroom TV on "sleep"...it stays on for an hour, but I am usually asleep by the time it turns itself off. Not too sure if it would work if the insomnia is from meds though...they affect your system chemically...stress is different...I have a lot of stress so the TV works for me...thankfully. :rolleyes:

kwilli
April 16th, 2009, 07:56 AM
if you have an ipod or some type of player, you can download a podcast of white noise and play in on your speaker... or burn a cd of it.
i often white noise it when my DH is away... before my iphone, i'd cd it and play it on my stereo in my room... now i have an app on my iphone and play it on my pod player...
works like a charm.

CearaQC
April 16th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Have a nice cup of tea made from Lemon Balm, it's calming. There are other common herbs also that will help. Do some stretching also to release tension and read a really boring book before sleep.

claw
April 16th, 2009, 07:25 PM
My mom actually surprised me yesterday when she came home with a white noise machine. :D I was so excited about it. It has multiple different sound settings, i used the thunderstorm setting last night. It was quite relaxing. I slept ok.

ancientgirl
April 16th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I've used a white noise machine for 20 years. I received one from a friend for Christmas, and it lasted me for about 16 years. When it was dying I managed to find the same company that made my old one was still in business. It cost me $50 but it's well worth it to me! I tried the others with different settings, but the actual white noise is the only thing that helps me.

Before this machine I used to use a fan or an air conditioner. :D

The plus with the white noise machine is better because it can travel with you!