Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Pulling It's Hair Out

Sherryd
April 8th, 2009, 07:18 PM
My cat started pulling his hair out of his back legs and inside his legs as well as his bottom belly area. i have had him to the vet 3 times and have gone back to the original cat litter; his food is the same; this started a month ago and he had a blood test and I was told he had low thyroid. Can anyone help me further as this constant licking, pulling hair out is driving me crazy as well as he is going bald! he is 10 years old, an indoor cat and is on Science Diet indoor hairball control and Sensitive skin. please help!

sugarcatmom
April 8th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I was told he had low thyroid.

How low? Do you know what the T4 value is? Is the vet concerned?

he is 10 years old, an indoor cat and is on Science Diet indoor hairball control and Sensitive skin. please help!

Could very well be a food issue. Diet related allergies often develop over time, and Science Diet products are full of potential allergens like grains and poor quality, overly processed protein sources. It would probably be a good idea to change your kitty's food to a grain-free, meat-based WET food, something like canned Wellness or Nature's Variety or By Nature Organics. You could also try a novel protein source like venison or duck from the Innnova Evo 95% line of products. A raw diet is another excellent option, if you're interested. More info on why kibble is bad for cats: www.catinfo.org And some info on feline fur-mowing: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/feline_fur-mowing.html

Could also be stress-related. Have there been any changes in your household? Even something minor like moving the furniture or new neighbors with a barking dog, to major stress like a new pet or person living in the house or someone leaving. My cat developed an OCD belly-licking problem when his brother was very sick (and died) and he's had it ever since. That was over 4 years ago. Since he isn't doing any damage other than having a bald belly, I just let him be. If there was excessive skin irritation or abrasions, I'd probably ask the vet about anti-anxiety medication.

So my first suggestion is a diet change, along with an evaluation of any possible stress your cat might be experiencing. Environmental allergies are another possibility, so if you use perfumed detergents or cleaning products, you might want to find something hypoallergenic and odor-free.

Hope that helps. Oh, and welcome to pets.ca!!

growler~GateKeeper
April 9th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I was told he had low thyroid.

Is your cat on treatment for Hyperthyroidism? Or has he had thyroid removal surgery?

Cats in almost all incidences have high thyroid not low unless they've under gone treatment for HyperThyroidism which can cause hair loss.