Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lost Weimaraner

Arrzee
April 8th, 2009, 08:40 AM
On April 29th 2008 my 8yr old weimaraner 'Heidi' went missing. Heidi is all gray with silver ears, gold eyes and a docked tail. She is approx. 60lbs and has a 1/2 scar on her back thigh. We live on a 75 acre hobby farm in a very remote area about an hour north of Kingston ON. On the morning of the 29th we were out at our pond-my dogs are never allowed out unsupervised-and Heidi spotted a deer in the woods. She took off after it with my 4yr old Great Dane. I attempted to follow but the brush was too thick and drove around to where the bush ends hoping she would come out-she didn't. That night, my Dane came home but without Heidi. Although we have lived in the area for 4 yrs, she has never been away from home alone. She has never run away and has suffered from separation anxiety since she was a puppy. Heidi is exceptionally smart and has a keen nose but the area is mostly bush and swamps. 3 days later she was spotted by my mailman but his car scared her back into the bush. I contacted trackers but they advised that there wasn't a chance of finding her this way due to all the water in the area. 3 weeks later she was spotted 8 km from my home but the call came 2 days after she was seen and she didn't return to that area. On Friday of the May 24th weekend she was spotted at the side of the road on Hwy 38 north of Verona-18km from home. This Hwy is used by both commuters and tourists traveling to/from cottages. She was seen at 6pm but I didn't get the call untill 2 hours later..by that time, she was gone. I realize that the chances of getting her back at this time are slim to none. She could be dead BUT there is also the chance that some well-meaning person picked her up and thinking she was a stray, decided to keep her. Normally she is very timid around strangers but under the circumstances would likely accept help. I have posted, listed and advertised everywhere I can and this site was mentioned to me by someone who saw her posted. I have hope...stranger things have happened. Heidi is like a child to me and in the past year not a day has gone by that I haven't looked for her. She has never given up on me and I owe her the same. If anyone has ANY info about her, please let me know. She is micro-chipped and her chip has been updated as 'missing'. She is also listed with the OPP as 'at large-possibly stolen'. There is a large reward for any info that leads to her return. Thanks for taking the time to read this and positive thoughts are very much appreciated.

cpietra16
April 8th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I am so sorry...and I hope you do get her back...its not knowing that usually makes it hard..I know I went thru it as well....go luck and i hope that she found her way to a good home.:fingerscr

chico2
April 8th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Sorry I can be of no help,but I can send:goodvibes::pray::fingerscrthat your very beautiful Heidi will be found and returned home.
Don't give up hope:grouphug:

mollywog
April 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
so sorry to hear about your beautiful Heidi. My thoughts are with you. :goodvibes:
I have forwarded this on to my doggy loving friend in Kingston- she goes to a lot of dog parks, and competes in agility so I figure it is worth a try!!
:candle: come home Heidi

angeldogs
April 8th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Sorry to hear about Heidi.Sending:pray::goodvibes:for a safe return home.

BusterBoo
April 8th, 2009, 06:54 PM
:pray: What a beautiful girl......

I am hoping you hear soon and she will be home with you where she belongs! :grouphug:

MrRoundel
February 9th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I was just alerted that there is a female Weimaraner that is in an animal shelter in Southern California. It's interesting in that the dog is female, young, and chipped. They are waiting extra days before putting up for adoption due to the presence of the chip.

If you have not found your dog, and would like information, post an email address, and/or phone number so that I can get it to you. I didn't see any method here for private messaging.

MrR

chico2
February 9th, 2011, 04:04 PM
MrRoundel,Heidi went missing in Ontario,Canada in April 2009,we have not heard back from the owner,so we can only hope Heidi is back home.
Of course there is a slight possibility someone had taken her to California..
Since the original poster has not been back here,there really is no way for us to contact her,unless she gets back here.
Thank you very much for posting,hopefully the chip will say where she's from and if by chance it is Heidi,the shelter can probably find out.

MrRoundel
February 9th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Chico2:
Thanks for your response/input. I'd seen that the dog was lost in Canada but figured, as you did, that there would be an outside chance that she was taken South. One never knows. I'm sure that there are a lot of chipped female Weimaraners out there. Thanks again.
MrR