Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How can I properly teach my dog?

htsource
April 7th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Okay, my dog likes to chew my feet when I'm walking around in the kitchen. Basically she wants attention but if I'm eating there's so much I can do. I keep calling her to keep her company but still...

I have tried as soon as she chews on my feet, I would make a sound and walk away from her. She seems to know what's going on but the she'll look for me around, if she can't find me she then barks. Once I'm returned, she'll do the same thing again. She's a little pomeranian.

I've tried spraying water as she's chewing my feet, that would scare her a bit but she'll come back and bite again. I hope my feet don't smell like her toys :)

Jim Hall
April 7th, 2009, 09:00 PM
maybe a little kong or some kind of chewie to gnaw on?

lol wrap a sock around a tennnis ball

ScottieDog
April 7th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Can you try to redirect her attention? When she starts to bite your feet, tell her sharply "leave it" then give her an appropriate toy. When she takes the toy praise her. One other solution would be to spray your feet with bitter apple spray. Many dogs don't like the taste of it. I'm not sure if you are barefoot when the dog is biting, but if you are wearing shoes, you might want to do a spot check to make sure the spray doesn't stain. Good luck.

htsource
April 7th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Thank you guys, much appreciated.

I think she knows her own way to guarantee my attenion is to bite me :) I've tried drawing her attention away, but she would come right back and if I'm busy eating, she'll be right there with her mouth wide open. I usually wear socks around the house.

I've used bitter apple in the past for furniture and I think she overcomes the taste of it!

Blackdog22
April 7th, 2009, 11:09 PM
How old was she when you got her?
What breed is she?
How old is she now?

BenMax
April 8th, 2009, 09:47 AM
ScottieDog is right on the money - redirect the behaviour.

Do you know how to do this?

htsource
April 8th, 2009, 11:02 PM
She was 4 months old when we got her, and she's 11 months now. She's a little lovely pomeranian.