Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP! Inadvertent introduction to raw feeding

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I need some advice...

The Pack waited till I was on the phone in the other room and then ran a commando raid on two raw chicken breasts (with riblets attached) that I had just taken out of the fridge and put on the stove. When I got back, the plate was still there, licked clean, with the plastic that had been wrapped around the chicken neatly lying next to it, but any evidence of avian carcass was gone. :yell:

They ate less than an hour ago--so their tummmies are filled with kibble.

What, if anything, should I do? And should I worry about the kibble/raw factor?

I went through all the bones of a breast (including the restless) in my memory and I don't recall anything particularly sharp, so I'm not too concerned about that right now--but feel free to point out errors in my thinking about that if I'm wrong. :o

Any advice, wisdom, wisecracks, etc., welcome... It's been a bad day and it's only a couple hours old.... :rolleyes:

Love4himies
April 7th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I think I heard them licking their chops and snickering at Hazel for leaving the chicken out in full view :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry no advice on the kibble and raw mix, think it depends on their digestive systems.

I give my cats raw mixed with their canned and Jasper gets some kibble on top for extra calories and he has no problems with the mix.

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I'm just picturing having 8 dogs with explosive diarrhea and/or food poisoning all at the same time. :eek:

:o

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Gadz, they can be quiet when they want to be sneaky :frustrated:

:laughing:

Love4himies
April 7th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Unless the chicken was rancid, then I wouldn't worry about food poisoning. I am not too familiar with dog's digestion as I am with cats, but I think they have a fairly high acidic level that makes it a very harsh environment for bacterial growth.

I think the pack is looking very smug right now :D

Love4himies
April 7th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Sorry Hazel, I am still snickering to myself as I am picturing the pack sneaking the chicken from the counter. Wonder who was in charge of looking out for the hoomans?

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM
The Princess-Queen is our resident counter-surfer. I'm pretty sure the Sheriff helped. The Deputy has a smug look on his face. Grace looked amazingly satisfied. Princess Lil Belle normally does stove duty. The other three were looking very innocent. :o

Take your pick. I'm giving them away free to a good home today! :laughing:

clm
April 7th, 2009, 12:03 PM
:laughing: I'm sorry Hazel, but I can just imagine how quiet your pack can be when up to no good. :laughing:

Cindy

ancientgirl
April 7th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hazel, you mean they actually unwrapped the chicken from the plastic? :laughing:

You know, I saw a program on Food Network, I think it was that Rachel Ray special about pet food, and there was a woman doing a little seminar at some camp and she was mixing raw with kibble. So I'm guessing it would be okay for them.

Although, since they are likely not used to raw you may need to watch out for said explosive poopies.

As for the bones, I've always read that as long as they aren't boiled and really raw they should be no problem:shrug:

I'm sure the pack will be fine.:D

Love4himies
April 7th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Hazel, you mean they actually unwrapped the chicken from the plastic? :laughing:

I think it was a team effort, one of them lifted the plastic and the other quietly took a piece of chicken. :laughing: :laughing:

cpietra16
April 7th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Wow...didn;t you hear the crunching from the bones.....:laughing:were they whistling and looking at the ceiling when you walked in on them....:laughing::laughing:.
Dogs 1- Human -0

I had a rescue dog frm the reserve who got away from us one day when we wenting camping... only to came back 20 minutes later.... when he got back, we packed the car ...got him into the car...drove off....heard strange sound from the back....

:yuck::yell: dog threw up his catch....a full mallard duck with all feathers in tact, and body.......i guess he was rushed and had to eat very quickly so that he could get back to the car.,...:yuck:

anyway....he survived...:D

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Yep. :rolleyes:

I think it was a team effort, one of them lifted the plastic and the other quietly took a piece of chicken. :laughing: :laughing:

I can picture that!! :laughing:

Wow...didn;t you hear the crunching from the bones.....:laughing:were they whistling and looking at the ceiling when you walked in on them....:laughing::laughing:.
Dogs 1- Human -0

Well, that's pretty much the whole picture...

I was on the other end of the house, on the phone, looking something up for someone. I heard something weird...but nothing particularly alarming. :o No crunching; no arguing; no plate clinking or plastic wrap rustling... It wasn't until Cole came into the room smacking his lips and looking very very smug that I thought something might be up. :laugh:

I had a rescue dog frm the reserve who got away from us one day when we wenting camping... only to came back 20 minutes later.... when he got back, we packed the car ...got him into the car...drove off....heard strange sound from the back....

:yuck::yell: dog threw up his catch....a full mallard duck with all feathers in tact, and body.......i guess he was rushed and had to eat very quickly so that he could get back to the car.,...:yuck:

anyway....he survived...:D

Oh, ugh!! But :laughing:!

So far, no one here is feeling sick...in fact, they're all quite energetic after the morning's bonanza! :dog:

ancientgirl
April 7th, 2009, 01:46 PM
LOL, that's funny. Reminds me of when I used to keep the treats in the cupboard. Until I realized one of the gang opened up the cupboard, took the bag of treats, then quietly closed the cupboard again. :frustrated:

I hope nobody gets any funky poops.:fingerscr

onster
April 7th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Oh hazel, poor u!!

lol
its too funny tho.

Not to scare you, but a while ago I had posted a woohoo thread over my kitties eating raw (chicken back and lots meat it was).

The next day I went to clean the litter box. Omg it was like a scene from a horror movie. Someone definitely had diarrhea poop. Poop on the walls, poop on the floor poop on the side of the litter box. Small droplets, big droplets but one thing was for sure - poop was everywhere!!! :yuck:

that said, good luck :p

Love4himies
April 7th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Onster, aren't you glad it isn't Bunduk getting into trouble for once. :laughing:

onster
April 7th, 2009, 01:52 PM
YES :D:D

:laughing::crazy:

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 02:21 PM
:eek: Well...no diarrhea yet...but Brier just thew up on the carpet--sticks, bark, bile, a little kibble, and it smelled like he's been eating poop again. :rolleyes:

However, this time of year with all the sticks, acorns, etc, newly available because the snow melted, this is a normal occurrence. So I don't know if the chicken had anything to do with it or not :o

Dog Dancer
April 7th, 2009, 02:51 PM
:eek: I'm sure they'll be fine. They're big doggies and should be able to handle it. Hope Brier is okay with his tummy now. It probably was co-related to his "other" snackers.:yuck: I'm lucky my two are not counter surfers, although they're tall enough. Caught hubby once when we first got together telling the dog to clean off his dinner plate that was sitting on the coffee table!! Told him I'd kill HIM if I ever saw him doing that again - teach my well behaved dogs to eat off the tables!!!

luckypenny
April 7th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Take your pick. I'm giving them away free to a good home today! :laughing:

I want them all please :D.

Lucky used to catch his own meals :rolleyes: as well when we fed kibble and there weren't any ill efects that we noticed at the time. I'd be more worried if they ate the cellophane.

So, when shall we expect the pack :goodvibes:?

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Hope Brier is okay with his tummy now. It probably was co-related to his "other" snackers.:yuck:

I have to agree...this sort of thing happens around here frequently. Frankly, I'd rather have it smell of chicken than of...well...you know... :o :eeew:

I'm lucky my two are not counter surfers, although they're tall enough. Caught hubby once when we first got together telling the dog to clean off his dinner plate that was sitting on the coffee table!! Told him I'd kill HIM if I ever saw him doing that again - teach my well behaved dogs to eat off the tables!!!

We never had counter surfers, either, until just a few months ago when Cass started exploring :shrug: Unfortunately, new 'tricks' like that are learned by the rest of the Pack in short order... :frustrated: I really can picture Cass sitting innocently by Brier, egging him on. "Yeah...that's it, big boy. You can reach it. Just a little more stretch....ah, yes....there ya go! Now toss some my way...." :dog:

I want them all please :D.

Lucky used to catch his own meals :rolleyes: as well when we fed kibble and there weren't any ill efects that we noticed at the time. I'd be more worried if they ate the cellophane.

So, when shall we expect the pack :goodvibes:?

As soon as they get their luggage in order. :laughing:

The little :evil:s!!!! I thought the same about the cellophane--I was greatly relieved to see it sitting so neatly next to the plate. I'm sure they would have folded it if they could have managed. :p

No ill effects as of yet--in fact, Cole seemed to have an unusually high degree of energy all day :D

Mat&Murph
April 7th, 2009, 09:48 PM
The boys are big enough to sneak stuff on the counter. I go out the room and Matt sneaks on the counter. I swear Murphy keeps watch. LOL The tricks they learn

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Your boys don't even have to stretch! :laughing:

Is the top of the refrigerator even safe? :D

Love4himies
April 8th, 2009, 08:23 AM
How did the pack survive their new food source?

hazelrunpack
April 8th, 2009, 08:05 PM
With flying colors. :D I've noticed a few longing stares toward the top of the stove today....but my new thawing place is on top of the fridge. Sorry, doggies! :laughing:

luckypenny
April 8th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Wow, they must have a lot of luggage :rolleyes:.

Freezer's full of yummy chicken guys...can't wait for your arrival :goodvibes: :D.

hazelrunpack
April 8th, 2009, 09:16 PM

Yeah...I suppose there's no real gentle way to break it to you, but to say it flat out...they're not coming :p

They discovered the Dangerous Butterflies are back--Mourning Cloaks all over! So they have to stay to patrol the yard and make sure everyone stays safe from butterflies. :D

:sorry:, Auntie LP :o