Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

VISTA nightmares

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2009, 10:28 AM
My second Dell computer in four years bit the dust last week and I cleaned out my digital camera savings fund to buy a new computer. It has Vista on it. I'm distraught at what I've lost and need some suggestions about where to go from here. (Please keep in mind that going to hell is not an option...I appear to have already landed there :rolleyes:...so that suggestion isn't necessary :o Also, remember I'm broke now so I can't afford a lot of software. :sad:)

1. Windows mail is supposed to easily import Outlook Express files. Although I backed my email up religiously when I backed up my last computer, I can't get the contacts and the old email files to import--they just plain aren't recognized. No error messages--just no files imported. :shrug: Anyone know if there's anything I can do about that?

2. My Ipswitch WS-FTP program is not compatible with Vista. Does Vista have a file transfer protocol of some sort built in that would enable me to upload files to and maintain my website? :fingerscr If it has one, I haven't found it, yet...

3. Any idea why I can't download certain online games anymore, like Sudoku (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/04/opinion/main908623.shtml) or the Daily Crossword (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/03/10/opinion/main543377.shtml)? Haven't been able to download them even though I downloaded the newest versions of both Flash and Java :shrug: I can't tell if the problem is with the site or with my new software. :sad:

4. I won't even go into how I feel about Vista's photo editors, but if anyone has any suggestions as to how to change where images are imported to (My Pictures in a file stupidly named... :frustrated:) I'd appreciate it! Seems like Vista tries to do everything for you but I'd rather set it up to do it my way... Yeah, I'm a fussy old bat. :o

Any suggestions for ease of transition or even for good reading material on Vista would be appreciated. I'd like to be fully functional again by 2010 but I'm not holding out much hope. :cry:

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Hazel, I feel for you. My laptop came with Vista, and I have to admit it is a huge pain in the butt, but I've sort of grown used to it.

One of Vista's main pains is downloading stuff. It's constantly asking for permission to do so. Did it alert you something was trying to download?

My computer knowledge only goes so far. Doesn't Aslan work with computers? Maybe she can help.:shrug:

cell
April 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Download XP burn it to a disk and reformat and use that until Windows 7(?) comes out. My BF had vista on his new laptop and only kept it for around a month.

Dee-O-Gee
April 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hey Hazel--

Poor girl :sad:

Point #2 - I got my FTP from Tuscow (link below) even though I work off of XP, Tuscow does have some freeware that's Vista compatible.

http://www.tucows.com/search.html?search_scope=win&search_adv=0&search_size=&search_size_multi=b&search_terms=FTP&srch_pf=win&search_lib=

I have a website but it's for a 1974 antique British TR6 car hubby and I are restoring. :crazy:

Bina
April 5th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I'm going to put in another vote for downloading XP and re-formatting.
My current Dell was bought last year through my husband's office, they are still able to order "used" models with XP.
Good Luck!

rainbow
April 5th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Hazel, as you well know I am "the" computer dummy here but I just wanted to give you some :grouphug: :grouphug: and a whole lot of :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :fingerscr :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I'm back to crying again. Vista is worthless....especially if you have dial-up. I can't burn XP out to a disk at 24.4 Kbps dialup speed. It just took me 5 stinking hours trying to download 25 M of software that didn't turn out to be what I thought it was :cry:

This absolutely totally sucks. Vista has sent me back to ground zero--no newsletters, no website.... Lucky for you, due to the anonymity of cyberspace, you just missed a total meltdown. Much better to have saved the money and put it toward a functional digital camera system with some bells and whistles than to have bought this piece of crap and end up with a totally dysfunctional computer system. It's good for bulletin boards and putting pictures where I don't want them on the computer.

Congratulations Microsoft on another wonderful contribution to the world of home computers. :frustrated:

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Hazel, I'm sorry you are having so many problems. I wish I knew more about programs to help you.

Dee-O-Gee
April 5th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I'm back to crying again. Vista is worthless....especially if you have dial-up. I can't burn XP out to a disk at 24.4 Kbps dialup speed. It just took me 5 stinking hours trying to download 25 M of software that didn't turn out to be what I thought it was :cry:

This absolutely totally sucks. Vista has sent me back to ground zero--no newsletters, no website.... Lucky for you, due to the anonymity of cyberspace, you just missed a total meltdown. Much better to have saved the money and put it toward a functional digital camera system with some bells and whistles than to have bought this piece of crap and end up with a totally dysfunctional computer system. It's good for bulletin boards and putting pictures where I don't want them on the computer.

Congratulations Microsoft on another wonderful contribution to the world of home computers. :frustrated:

As this is a brand new computer--was there any guarantees where you can take it back and buy a refurbished XP O/S?

I too am sorry that I'm not familiar with Vista and would love to help you avoid unecessary meltdowns 50354

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Point #2 - I got my FTP from Tuscow (link below) even though I work off of XP, Tuscow does have some freeware that's Vista compatible.

http://www.tucows.com/search.html?search_scope=win&search_adv=0&search_size=&search_size_multi=b&search_terms=FTP&srch_pf=win&search_lib=

:thankyou: for that link, klmccallum. I've bookmarked it to look at later.

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2009, 03:25 PM
As this is a brand new computer--was there any guarantees where you can take it back and buy a refurbished XP O/S?

Best Buy doesn't carry anything with XP on it anymore. It's all this Vista crap :sad: And my other option was the place where they're trying to double-bill me. :shrug: Don't want to deal with them...

chico2
April 5th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Aww Hazel how frustrating,when we got our new PC,we specifically asked for Windows XP to be installed.
Our computer-genius(friend of my sons)himself likes Vista,but he is a computer-expert.Good Luck:fingerscr

onster
April 5th, 2009, 03:51 PM
awwww hazel im so sorry ure going thru this frustration.

I thought a new pc would be the end of ure troubles :sad: (btw Dell reaaaally sucks IMO my friend's Dells are forever breaking down :frustrated:).

Maybe someone can send you a cd with XP burned on it? I would, I have loads of empty CDs but dunno where I could download a good copy :shrug: Wouldnt want to make it worse!!

This is pretty much why Im switching to a mac when my laptop finally dies. :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Anyone know if you can still even purchase the Windows XP Pro OS?

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Hazel, when I got my laptop, I considered changing Vista to XP. I called Best Buy, and Geek Squad said they were able to do that. I decided against it because it was too expensive. I think they may still do that. I know my boss just purchased a computer and had to especially order it to come with XP.

Give Geek Squad a call.

http://www.geeksquad.com/

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I'll call them tomorrow. The one guy there has been very helpful and is very knowledgeable. :fingerscr that they can do it...

Do you recall how much it was going to cost, AG? :eek:

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Hazel, it was less than $300, but close to it.

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Ouch. That's about $300 more than I have budgeted right now :o

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Yeah, that's why I still have Vista on my laptop. I've just learned to live with it.

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I may have to learn to limp along with it, too. :sad: But I'm not gonna be a happy camper! :frustrated:

Have you found any good 'I hate Vista' forums? :laughing: I'd love to join... :o

ancientgirl
April 5th, 2009, 05:50 PM
LOL, no I haven't found any forums.

It's hard to get used to, but eventually you will at least be able to use it without too much trouble. If you can get someone to set it up the way you want it, to allow you to do what you need, then you should be okay after that.

I still wish I had XP, but since I don't have that money to spend to change it back I have no choice. If the next Windows OS is like XP was, I may try to scrounge up the money to change it. But I'll wait until the iron out the kinks first.

The thing is, I was told after the summer Microsoft will no longer offer support for XP.

badger
April 5th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I don't have any suggestions for you about getting your email back. I've had to reload everything twice in recent months and lost the entire contents of OE in the process. You might try loading Gmail, which is way better, has more memory and stores your stuff on their servers so nothing is lost. You have to be invited, however; let me know if you'd like me to put in a word, all I need is your addy. I still use Outlook Express, in tandem with Gmail, because I cant be bothered to notify the bank, etc.

My techie downloaded Firefox for me the last time we had to reload Windows (XP) and I highly recommend it. Don't mess with the Vista, just download Firefox and use it instead, at least until you've gotten Vista sorted out. On my system, Firefox is faster and has fewer glitches (freezes, etc.).

Winston
April 5th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Its tough to find in some locations but I wouldnt pay more than 100.00 for it! if that! the thing too is you have to make sure its a legit copy because you wont be able to update anything from microsoft and unfortunately we need some of their patches...The other thing too is it would mean rebuilding your system? they will charge you if you dont know how to do it.

Hazel its really frustrating...I am standing firm! No Vista until I absolutely have too!

Alot of the origional cd's that you get with pcs have the extra software so it might be worth it to check out what the cd says!

Mat&Murph
April 5th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I hope you are feeling alittle better Hazel. I have never used Vista. Been to paranoid. I get my computer stuff at a guy I know through a friend, Got a great rebuild laptop for 200 with Windows XP Pro. But It is here in Oshawa. Wish I could be more help :grouphug:
and Drooly kisses from the boys

14+kitties
April 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Hazel - have you checked your emails? :rolleyes:

want4rain
April 5th, 2009, 09:51 PM
HRP, lemme do some asking around. i know a few people proficient in Vista. might be able to come up with some answers....

if i dont get back to you in a few days... my breast pump ate me.

-ash

Dee-O-Gee
April 5th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I'm the first to admit--I hate change :yuck:

I'm sure that once you speak with people that have had experience using Vista and get a better insight on the operating system--you'll move right along :thumbs up

It's just a learning curve Hazel--think positive 50376

If you are who I think you are--you're gonna set yourself on a mission to conquer your Vista Fiasco 50373

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Yes, as a matter of fact, I just did :D

Very helpful, although I'm too tired to try all the suggestions tonight! Thank your son-in-law for me :grouphug:

T&C, I'm still waiting for that link to load. Sigh... :o

badger, I'm stuck with IE until I give up on Publisher. I still snail mail out a few newsletters...and then put it out on the web, so I need something that will handle both phases. Unfortunately, Publisher web files are not browsable by Firefox. :sad:

However, this whole issue might end up moot if I can't get my software to work. :wall:

Winston, the software is on a disk I have, but it tries to do something that works with XP, not Vista--tells me it needs to run something by 'run as...' and that an administrator has to do it. But my account is the administrator account and I can't figure out how to get around it. :o :fingerscr I can find out when I call HP tomorrow...

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. :grouphug: Just venting was actually quite helpful :laughing: At least I'm not threatening the machine with a sledge hammer any more and I've smiled at least twice since dinner :thumbs up

:p

:thankyou:

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM
HRP, lemme do some asking around. i know a few people proficient in Vista. might be able to come up with some answers....

if i dont get back to you in a few days... my breast pump ate me.

-ash

:laughing: :laugh: Okay, so now I've out-and-out laughed tonight! This is an improvement! :thankyou: w4r, and give Alex a big kiss on the nose for me. :D

I'm the first to admit--I hate change :yuck:

I'm sure that once you speak with people that have had experience using Vista and get a better insight on the operating system--you'll move right along :thumbs up

It's just a learning curve Hazel--think positive 50376

If you are who I think you are--you're gonna set yourself on a mission to conquer your Vista Fiasco 50373

Oy, you mean the panic was that apparent? :crazy: :D

I hate change, too...but when I changed to XP it wasn't nearly as traumatic as the change to Vista. :rolleyes: Still, I'm already making plans to get around the obstacles...and some of the dark despair and black clouds are rolling away. :eek:

It's not a learning curve, though--it was more like being in the lane when the semi sped through...a flattening experience. :laughing:

But you're right--in a month or two, I won't remember what all I've lost...so I'll feel better about it. See? Senility has it's up side! :thumbs up

:laughing:

Thanks for the pep talk. :o

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Oh, and M&M, you don't know how immeasurably helpful those drooly kisses were in the interim. :cloud9: Thank the boys for me, please! :D

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2009, 10:14 PM
hmmmmm...this version of Adobe flash is not supported on 64-bit machines...IE just died cuz of it. I coulda sworn I updated that two nights ago...must've lost the connection at some point :frustrated:

Once I figure out how to get the appropriate version, that might clear up some of my IE problems! :thumbs up

want4rain
April 5th, 2009, 11:00 PM
well it didnt eat me and i have a response.... pardon the orneryness of it all. :D an answer is an answer after all!!! his responses are in red.

-ash

Disclaimer: I don't have Vista. Everything I know about Vista I have discerned helping my poor brother untangle the mess he made on his - and maybe I learned a little at work too... I don't have an Apple either, but I honestly believe you probably should have bought one.

Moving along - Responses inline

My second Dell computer in four years bit the dust last week and I cleaned out my digital camera savings fund to buy a new computer. It has Vista on it. I'm distraught at what I've lost and need some suggestions about where to go from here. (Please keep in mind that going to hell is not an option...I appear to have already landed there ...so that suggestion isn't necessary Also, remember I'm broke now so I can't afford a lot of software. )

1. Windows mail is supposed to easily import Outlook Express files. Although I backed my email up religiously when I backed up my last computer, I can't get the contacts and the old email files to import--they just plain aren't recognized. No error messages--just no files imported. Anyone know if there's anything I can do about that?
Aren't easily recognized? Pish... If only MS would settle on a format. If only Outlook and Outlook Express didn't both use the work Outlook in their title - the only thing they have in common. I assume you are using Windows Mail and not Outlook on the new computer. Need to know what files/folders you are attempting to import specifically and how you are doing it - Outlook Express keeps them in two or more different places - the address book is a different file entirely - look for *.wab and import separately. It has never EVER been intuitive but I have never failed to import e-mail and addresses from Windows 95 right on up to Vista. Its just in an attempt to make it easy, they manage to make it easy in a very tiny subset of situations - and nearly impossible in all others.

2. My Ipswitch WS-FTP program is not compatible with Vista. Does Vista have a file transfer protocol of some sort built in that would enable me to upload files to and maintain my website? If it has one, I haven't found it, yet...
WS-FTP is so 1999 :) Download Filezilla Client - Open Source Freeware http://filezilla-project.org/

3. Any idea why I can't download certain online games anymore, like Sudoku or the Daily Crossword? Haven't been able to download them even though I downloaded the newest versions of both Flash and Java I can't tell if the problem is with the site or with my new software.
Need specific URLs and what browser are you using - I recommend using Firefox and Internet Explorer before calling something a problem. Also, any specific error information would be helpful - Personally, I stay away from these downloadable game things - they pollute your computer with crap, but whatever... I'm paranoid. I anticipate that past computer problems were very likely related to these online games and toys. Vista in and of itself should not be keeping you from downloading whatever you like, but the increased security and firewall function may potentially be inhibiting the games' operation (and thus lengthing the usable life of your computer for other things...)

4. I won't even go into how I feel about Vista's photo editors, but if anyone has any suggestions as to how to change where images are imported to (My Pictures in a file stupidly named... ) I'd appreciate it! Seems like Vista tries to do everything for you but I'd rather set it up to do it my way... Yeah, I'm a fussy old bat.
Download Picasa (picasa.google.com) and disable all the auto import stuff in Vista. If you need help figuring out how to get Vista to Automatically import photos, let me know - I'll make finding out a personal goal.

Any suggestions for ease of transition or even for good reading material on Vista would be appreciated. I'd like to be fully functional again by 2010 but I'm not holding out much hope.
Most of what I read to solve these problems is found online, simply using google - sorting through the useless "information" and getting to the useful nuggets is tedious and perhaps a bit of an art form, but it is certainly do-able. I expect that your biggest stumbling block is that Microsoft built Vista under the guise that everyone does not like Windows - so they changed everything. Everything you learned about Windows before - forget it and start over. What you remember from your previous life is likely holding you back (thus my assertion that now is a fine time to get an Apple - pretty much the same learning curve)

Good luck!

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Aw, thanks w4r. Not much help though, I'm afraid. I can't afford to buy an Apple! :laughing: I blew my budget recently on a computer purchase... :p

Actually, Vista and I are starting to get along a little better. I have a few more suggestions to try on the email problem. I've never had trouble taking Outlook Express files from one OS to another before, either...but it was inevitable! :D

I think I figured out the game thing--somehow, an early version of Adobe flash player is installed. It's not supported on 64-bit machines, so IE hangs or dies when I try to look at the daily Sudoku and Crossword on the CBSnews site. (Nope...I never read the news....just do the puzzles! :laughing:) So tonite when I'm logged off of pets.ca, I'll deinstall Flash and try to download Flash 11 again. I think that version of it is compatible with my machine! :fingerscr

I've bookmarked the filezilla site for further study... :D When I'm rested. Actually, I loved 1999, and WS-FTP is like second nature after all this time... :laughing: We old codgers like to keep our bad habits! :p

Oh, and I've been trying to google, yahoo, etc for 3 days now...so difficult at 24.4 Kbps... :o (yes, some of us old codgers are on dial-up, too...we live in a dead zone for things like cable, TV/radio signal and cell phones. If I had the money and less forest between us and the sky, satellite might be an option. :o

growler~GateKeeper
April 5th, 2009, 11:17 PM
As you know I'm running Vista & I had no issues loading the Sudoku or the Crossword puzzle so it's not the site :shrug:

the software is on a disk I have, but it tries to do something that works with XP, not Vista--tells me it needs to run something by 'run as...' and that an administrator has to do it. But my account is the administrator account and I can't figure out how to get around it. :o :fingerscr I can find out when I call HP tomorrow...

To get it to "run as administrator" right click on the program then choose run as administrator ;)

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2009, 11:40 PM
As you know I'm running Vista & I had no issues loading the Sudoku or the Crossword puzzle so it's not the site :shrug:

Yeah, I think it's the Flash version issue--those are the only two downloads I've attempted that require it--and both of them cause IE to hang or fail :shrug: I'm glad they're still out there :cloud9: I miss them terribly :o

To get it to "run as administrator" right click on the program then choose run as administrator ;)

It runs automatically from a disk, though... :shrug: Not quite sure how to do that... :o

growler~GateKeeper
April 5th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Before you put the disc in the drive click the Start button, computer that shows the hd and the disc drive, put the disc in, double click on the disc drive & you should have an Auto run window pop up that asks what you want to do. There is a box you can un-check for automatic play. You should have the option of running the program or opening/exploring the files. Click on exploring the files - then right click the Application & click run as administrator.

Even if the programs runs auto, while it's attempting you can still hit the start button, computer, double click the disc drive to see the files then right click & run as admin

hazelrunpack
April 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Okay! I'll try that! :thumbs up

And I better go do it now...it's already after midnight and I still want to try to download the newest Flash version, too :o

CearaQC
April 6th, 2009, 04:19 AM
You bought a 64 bit machine? That's some power! :thumbs up And that's why your Soduku disc won't play... because it's not geared for 64 bit. Perhaps something on the web will work but programs that run off discs (hard drive or CD/DVD) need to be programmed to deal with 64 bit.

In my opinion stay away from Internet Explorer. I always had so much trouble with that until I switched permanently to Firefox.

You can put your pictures anywhere you want on your machine. Go into whatever resembles a file explorer on Vista, like My Computer or whatever. Then click around until you get to the general area where you want the photo folder to go. From there, make a new folder. There should be little things on the left or right side of the screen in My Computer that will say "make new folder."

Then when you access your camera's stored pictures, you can highlight them all in the My Computer area, and tell the computer to "move" all files from the camera memory to the designated folder you specially made.

Any time you need to download new drivers and doo-dads like Flash, you're going to have to look for 64 bit versions. Including your digital camera software. Go to the manufacturer's website and look for 64 bit versions.

Put a stickie note on your screen saying don't forget about the 64 bit, 'cause anything that's still the "old" 32 bit may not work at all.

64 bit compared to 32 bit is like comparing a 20 lane highway to a 2 lane highway. :laughing: Well this is a bit of an extreme analogy but you get the general idea. There are more "lanes" of electron traffic in a 64 bit machine. So to compare 32 bit software on a 64 bit machine, is like to compare a hillbilly from Deliverance walking in downtown New York city and having to navigate the subways and roads simultaneously. The hillbilly can eventually figure out how to get around New York but needs special instructions and a good map. Or in this case, a software programmer to change the code to tell the program how to behave in a 64 bit environment. Otherwise the software just freaks out and can't do much so it freezes and won't work.

And don't ever pay for Geeksquad. They overcharge in my opinion. Charge hundreds of bucks for something simple that only takes a couple of hours. They overcharge because they know people out there don't know much about computers and they get away with it. Corporate highway robbery! :2cents: If I lived closer to you I'd do it for a homemade dinner, some laughs and play time with your doggies.

Publisher won't work with Firefox because Microshaft products don't work with Firefox as a whole. There might be a free open source website thingie available.

Any time you want a new software tool, look for free, open-sourced software. 99% of the time there is a free, stable and often better equivalent.

http://www.designvitality.com/blog/2007/10/25-open-source-web-design-programs-and-tools-you-should-already-know-about/

Just something I Google'd there that has listings of open-source software.

The world is moving to more collaborative effort and moving away from high-price corporatism. Support them any chance you get. Open-source is a better idea because regular geeks who know programming and think of new ways that software can be better, can just program their own bit and then give it away free to everyone else. Then everyone benefits! Programmers can team up together and improve software. And every time a new person joins in the fun, the software becomes better and better. No more making complaints and hoping a giant corporation will make the changes, which often times don't work anyway because they released it too soon. A huge example of that is.... Vista! They released that too soon and it's got more holes than swiss cheese in it security-wise and lack of ease to the normal user.

64 bit is still pretty new and not many people have it. As a result not much software is coded to be able to work on 64 bit. But it's coming around, and much quicker for Linux (open source FREE operating system) than it is for Microshaft products.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

Read and try that out, see if it works for your Flash.

I still gotta do attachment pics so you can see my furkids. But it's 5 am and I only got up to let the dogs out to potty and check on the basement. We're in spring melting time now and there's a spring under the floor in the basement and every time it rains hard or melts snow, it begins to flood down there so we have to keep an eye out to make sure the pump works and things don't start swimming down there. :laughing:

For the rest of you folks reading this, you will be much happier if you switch to Linux and not buy into the whole Vista thing. Dell even sells new computers installed with Linux nowadays. I still use XP but only because I build my own computers and this computer is good enough for now. But the next time I need to upgrade, I'm going Linux. Linux is better prepared for 64 bit machines and more and more programs are coming out Linux based much faster than they do for Microshaft-based software.

aslan
April 6th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Hazel,,, try right clicking on your IE logo on your comp, a box thingy comes up (yeah i know technical term eh) any, go to the bottome of box thingy, click on properties..another box will open will, general,security, blah blah, one will say compatibility..... click that one...there is a little box that says " run this program in compatibility mode for"..... you want to set it for windows xp (service pack2). that should help with some of your problems..

aslan
April 6th, 2009, 09:44 AM
If you can get onto this site....www.tech-recipes.disqus.com/vista_getting_adobe_flash_player_to_work_microsoft _vista_tech_recipes/

they have two or three different suggestions that apparantly work... there is apparantly two versions of IE on your comp, anyway check it out and see if any of this helps.

Diamondsmum
April 6th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Ohhh Hazel..

is there a chance or maybe I missed it a Model number of your PC? Then I can troubleshoot much easier.

I have had Vista since its pre-beta days I am pretty confident I can get you sorted.

dont cry/throw pc/ just yet.
:grouphug:

cell
April 6th, 2009, 10:29 AM
(btw Dell reaaaally sucks IMO my friend's Dells are forever breaking down :frustrated:)

Laptop or desktop? Desktops you might as well put together yourself, laptops not so easy, I have a dell Inspiron laptop going on 4 years and never had a lick of trouble with it (except issues I caused myself). It is XP, I am definitely not going to be getting any new computers until Vista is dead and buried.
My BF's new dell came with XP and as I said he burned on XP, to hazelrunpack do you know anyone could send you a copy with key codes to install? Vista sounds like a nightmare...

Diamondsmum
April 6th, 2009, 10:45 AM
The problem with re-installing XP is DRIVERS... many perperials installed may not be reconsized by XP. (Trust me I have downgraded a few) and the worst ones is the internet connection. how do you grab new XP drivers when you cant get online to get them? Nor do you know if they actually work.

That is my serious concern.

hazelrunpack
April 6th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Ohhh Hazel..

is there a chance or maybe I missed it a Model number of your PC? Then I can troubleshoot much easier.

I have had Vista since its pre-beta days I am pretty confident I can get you sorted.

dont cry/throw pc/ just yet.
:grouphug:

Hubby, bless is heart, is busy at work looking for missing things....like my template and font files for Publisher (helpful for the printed versions I do), some of the files I lost because my most recent backup CD failed at this most inconvenient of times and I had to go back to the end of January, and even some programs.... :thumbs up So I'm feeling a little more positive.

The model number is HP a6700y, but I'm slowly getting a handle on what is and isn't possible with this. It's powerful, but incompatible with a lot of software I have--like that photo editor :cry: That one I'm gonna miss... Rumor has it that it's just 64-bit incompatible. But I had some older programs that I could install just fine that will work--only I'll have to use 2-3 different editors to do what I used to do in the Image Zone editor alone. :frustrated: Still, this is doable.

I'm laughing more today. :D That's a good thing! This has been a four-day funk for ol' hazel :rolleyes:

Main problem right now: I still can't get my contacts or old emails imported into Windows Mail.

I finally got it to recogize the .wab contact file, but when I try to import it tells me there's been an error and the import failed. It would be more useful if it actually indicated what the error was, cuz it's pretty obvious that one occurred...even hazel could see that! :rolleyes: But it's not specific.

As for the email files, when I direct Windows Mail to where the files are stored, it tells me no files match the search and no import results... :shrug:

Very frustrating...

Laptop or desktop? Desktops you might as well put together yourself, laptops not so easy, I have a dell Inspiron laptop going on 4 years and never had a lick of trouble with it (except issues I caused myself). It is XP, I am definitely not going to be getting any new computers until Vista is dead and buried.
My BF's new dell came with XP and as I said he burned on XP, to hazelrunpack do you know anyone could send you a copy with key codes to install? Vista sounds like a nightmare...

Desktop...and I have a copy of XP with a license...but I just talked to a techie guy I know and he counseled against doing it. Like Diamondsmum said, some things will just not translate easily from the 32-bit, single processor configuration of the old machine to the 64-bit, quad processor configuration of the new. :shrug: So I guess I'll just have to work with Vista.

I don't recommend it, though :laughing:The main thing I have against it right now is just that I hate it! :p

My plan was to wait for the new Windows OS, too...my motherboard had other ideas. pftuiiiiiiiii...and if I put it together myself, I'd still be at it. :laughing: hazel is not handy that way!

rainbow
April 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hazel, I know I'm waaay out of my league here but I found this from http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?threadID=238036&start=30&tag=forum-w;forums06 ....

The best way to do this is do download Dmailer sync it allows you to synchronzie all your email data (including contacts) from Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail and saves it to a memory stick. Then you can restore that data to Outlook, Outlook Express or Windows Mail. You can even synchronize your files and internet Bookmarks or Favorites at the same time if you want, this is helpful if you are moving computer.

Using this software will not cost you because you can do this within the free 30 day trial period.

You can download it from:
www.dmailer.com

:shrug: :o

Diamondsmum
April 6th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Hmm must investiagte further.

hazel I wil check it more tomorrow for you

hazelrunpack
April 6th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Hazel, I know I'm waaay out of my league here but I found this from http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?threadID=238036&start=30&tag=forum-w;forums06 ....

Interesting! I'll check that out, rainbow! :thumbs up Thanks!

DM, have you ever had a client that had this problem when they migrated from XP to Vista?

Dee-O-Gee
April 6th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Looks like Rainbow sent a pretty good read Hazel- I just checked it out. Cnet is a good site for problem solving :thumbs up

Do you have a printer set up with your Vista now Hazel?

Diamondsmum
April 6th, 2009, 08:51 PM
most of the time no. hazel bc I usually do a windows transfer with the XP machine is still running. or the back up is set up as a .cvs (comma seperated by colan) I think its called. not a .wab?

or.. I convert them to outlook (office) ;)

hazelrunpack
April 6th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Yep...two, as a matter of fact! :thumbs up :D

hazelrunpack
April 6th, 2009, 09:19 PM
DM, I thought Outlook files wouldn't import to Windows mail without going through OE, first?

The address book is specifically listed as having to be .wab. The old emails are .dbx files. It recognizes the .wab file, but can't import it. The .dbx files don't seem to be recognized at all :shrug:

I suspect half my problem is that I'm having to import them from a backup disk since the XP machine is not functioning....

hazelrunpack
April 6th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I'm currently in a chat room with an HP techie about the Image Zone software. Still haven't give up on it, but it looks grim. :o

rainbow
April 6th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I found something wlse but most of it is gobbledy-gook to me :o ....

http://blogs.technet.com/james/archive/2007/06/08/importing-outlook-express-dbx-files-into-windows-vista.aspx

And, please tell me to buzz off if I'm wasting your time. :laughing:

hazelrunpack
April 6th, 2009, 11:03 PM
rainbow, you are a genius!!!!!! :highfive:

It's importing even as I type!!!! :goodvibes: <----happy dance :D

hazelrunpack
April 6th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I am now the proud owner of my reclaimed old email... Only missing a month or so--one of my backup disks failed so I had to go back to the Jan 31 bkp. :D I'll settle for that!!!!

:thankyou: rainbow! You're such a good detective!! and she says she's a computer dummy! Hah!!!

rainbow
April 6th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Are you serious??? :eek:

WOOOO HOOOO :highfive: ......I am so happy for you. :goodvibes:

I might be a good detective but I still am really clueless about computers or anything else like that. :D

hazelrunpack
April 6th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Absolutely serious :thumbs up :grouphug:

Now I gotta try the same trick with the contacts file!

hazelrunpack
April 6th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Oh, rats...it didn't work. :o However, I can open the file in word and get a print copy...It's four pages long, but it does have all my old contact list in it! :thumbs up

:highfive: We're on a roll now, rainbow! Got any suggestions for imagezone? :D

rainbow
April 6th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Is this what you did for the contacts ...

http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/805158-solved-xp-oe-contacts-vista.html

rainbow
April 6th, 2009, 11:34 PM
What is Imagezone? :D

hazelrunpack
April 6th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Is this what you did for the contacts ...

http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/805158-solved-xp-oe-contacts-vista.html

Nope...but that didn't work, either. :o Oh, well. Can't win 'em all! :D And I don't mind typing in the contacts by hand. :thumbs up

What is Imagezone? :D

That's the photoeditor that came with my HP Scanjet (3 yrs ago). Also HP ImageZone Solution Center. I really miss that software :o It doesn't appear to be compatible with Vista...or maybe it's the 64-bit config that's throwing it off :shrug: The error messages are really not very specific...and the chat room was no help. I keep getting sent to the next guy in line...who is not there till tomorrow during the day. :rolleyes: Not exactly the 24/7 as advertised :D

rainbow
April 7th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Is this any help? :fingerscr

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2100&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=90764

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00809848&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=90764&dlc=en&lang=en

rainbow
April 7th, 2009, 01:50 AM
From http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=id&docname=c00845986

HP Digital Imaging Monitor Program does not open after upgrading to Windows Vista. HP Digital Imaging Monitor is not Windows Vista-compatible.
HP Image Zone Clicking keywords assigned to images does not cause the image to display. HP Image Zone is not Windows Vista-compatible. Use Window Photo Gallery in Windows Vista.

:shrug:

rainbow
April 7th, 2009, 02:08 AM
More gobbledy-gook to me :o .....

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-print-fax/977160.htm

http://hpanswers.blogspot.com/2008/05/hp-scanjet-scanners-version-90-drivers.html

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 10:12 AM
HP Image Zone is not Windows Vista-compatible. Use Window Photo Gallery in Windows Vista.

That's what I was afraid of. :o :sad:

Oh, well. Maybe Photo Gallery has more bells and whistles that I haven't found yet.... :shrug:

:thankyou:, rainbow!!! :D You're a computing goddess!!!!!! :highfive:

ancientgirl
April 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hazel, Windows Photo Gallery isn't too terrible.

Diamondsmum
April 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM
http://www.hp.com/united-states/consumer/digital_photography/free/software/index.html

hazel not sure if this is the same software? but its vista friendly.

As for your .wab is it copied onto you new PC? or still on CD?

ancientgirl
April 7th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I have that on my laptop, it's okay, but not that easy to use (it could be I'm just a dork though). Hazel, you might like it. It does have some interesting things you can do with it.

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 10:37 AM
That's a possibility, DM--only a 18.9 M download, too--still about 6 hours to bring down, but at least it's doable. :D :thankyou:

Tried importing the .wab file from both CD and then from the new PC. Doesn't work either way, even when I remove the 'read-only' flag. :shrug:

AG, do you use Photo Gallery for your pics?

Diamondsmum
April 7th, 2009, 10:41 AM
ohhhh I see

So you have copied it from Cd to your PC & nothing.

That sucks girl.

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Image Zone was sorta hard to figure out, too...but I loved it once I got into it! :thumbs up

I'll maybe download this one tonight after I log off for the day and see what it's like. :thankyou: for the suggestion!!

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM
ohhhh I see

So you have copied it from Cd to your PC & nothing.

That sucks girl.
But at least I could open the file in Word. All the contact info is there, I just need to find the time to enter it all back in. :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
April 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM
That's a possibility, DM--only a 18.9 M download, too--still about 6 hours to bring down, but at least it's doable. :D :thankyou:

Tried importing the .wab file from both CD and then from the new PC. Doesn't work either way, even when I remove the 'read-only' flag. :shrug:

AG, do you use Photo Gallery for your pics?

Yes, I use the Windows Photo Gallery. I like that it is it's own little icon on my desktop. I love that you can view pictures really big too. :D It took me a while to get used to it, but it's not so bad.

Our IT guy at the office said Windows 7, which should come out next year will be what Vista should have been. Easier to use and way better than the Vista we are using. He said they released it way too soon, because they wanted to compete with some new Mac release. So it has just so many bugs. But Windows 7 will be much better and easier. I hope he's right. He says he's using some Beta version he got, because he's in the industry, and said it's really a good program. He said he will not put Vista as it is now on anyone's system, but he does like the Windows 7. So I guess we'll have to wait.

ancientgirl
April 7th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Image Zone was sorta hard to figure out, too...but I loved it once I got into it! :thumbs up

I'll maybe download this one tonight after I log off for the day and see what it's like. :thankyou: for the suggestion!!

Hazel, you might like it. I just find it a pain because I have to use the little mouse thing on my laptop, so I just don't like to go in and mess with it.

If you find it easy to use, let me know. I may try to give it a go.

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I've heard lots of good things about Windows 7...but I doubt I'll be able to afford an upgrade of OS when it finally gets released :rolleyes:

Sigh....my timing has never been good :p

Diamondsmum
April 7th, 2009, 11:11 AM
How has your connection been since the new PC hazel?

ancientgirl
April 7th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I've heard lots of good things about Windows 7...but I doubt I'll be able to afford an upgrade of OS when it finally gets released :rolleyes:

Sigh....my timing has never been good :p

If I'm able to get the upgrade for myself, and it allows more than one user upgrade, I'll send you the CD. :D

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 01:42 PM
How has your connection been since the new PC hazel?

Just as bad--but one nice thing about Vista is that it seems to handle the interruptions better. It must be setting more checkpoints or something, because when I reestablish a connection in the middle of a download (of almost everything I've tried so far), the download picks back up at the place it died rather than starting over :thumbs up

If I'm able to get the upgrade for myself, and it allows more than one user upgrade, I'll send you the CD. :D

That would be cool, AG! :highfive: :grouphug:

ancientgirl
April 7th, 2009, 01:49 PM
That would be cool, AG! :highfive: :grouphug:

I'll likely post if I get the update, so just remind me you have Vista too.:D In the meantime, I'll search around and see if those upgrade CD's allow you to upgrade more than once. I'd hope so. What if you have 3 computers at home and want to upgrade them all? I can't see having to buy 3 different upgrades, right?

Diamondsmum
April 7th, 2009, 01:58 PM
just as any software you have to buy licences for more then 1 PC if upgrading them all. I think Only Office you can put on multiple PC's office 2007Student edition I think has 3 allows. Office 2007 profressional is 1 (I know this I have tried it) you have to buy another key.

before I bought laptop I had built my old PC & had XP for it. then bought Vista 1 year later. Vista & XP are one PC only unless you buy another key.

Or even reinstalling or upgrading hardware if its over its 3x in XP you have to Call MS. to get a new key (Free) OR purchase a new one. Depends on what MS says.

ancientgirl
April 7th, 2009, 02:16 PM
just as any software you have to buy licences for more then 1 PC if upgrading them all. I think Only Office you can put on multiple PC's office 2007Student edition I think has 3 allows. Office 2007 profressional is 1 (I know this I have tried it) you have to buy another key.

before I bought laptop I had built my old PC & had XP for it. then bought Vista 1 year later. Vista & XP are one PC only unless you buy another key.

Or even reinstalling or upgrading hardware if its over its 3x in XP you have to Call MS. to get a new key (Free) OR purchase a new one. Depends on what MS says.

Figures. More money in their pockets!:frustrated:

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I just tried to scan a document in as a .pdf file. That was something I used to be able to do through the imagezone solution center. I think I've lost that capability now. :frustrated: That's a bite! .pdf format was the one I used most often. :yell: :wall:

rainbow
April 7th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Okay, this is getting way too over my head now so I'm not coming back. :laughing:

And, besides ....Chris made fun of me. :yell:

aslan
April 7th, 2009, 02:42 PM
or you know an evil person like me with too much time on their hands that can get programs with key gen programs.:D

I've been seeing an add for a photo program for windows all day, tooting how easy it is.

ancientgirl
April 7th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I just tried to scan a document in as a .pdf file. That was something I used to be able to do through the imagezone solution center. I think I've lost that capability now. :frustrated: That's a bite! .pdf format was the one I used most often. :yell: :wall:

Hazel, maybe you still can, except you have to specifically add it to be a deafult scan type. :shrug:

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I need one that handles documents, too, aslan. Right now, the only software I have for the scanner is photo software--so none of the document formats are available. :sad:

rainbow, you've been doing so well! How can you walk away from all this techie success? :D

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 02:48 PM
It's only offering me a choice of .jpg, .png, .bmp, or .tif :shrug:

aslan
April 7th, 2009, 02:49 PM
ok looked at the program, called windows live photo gallery... doesn't seem to do documents too.

what make and model of scanner are you using. And what format are you trying to put pics in and what format are they being scanned as.

rainbow
April 7th, 2009, 02:51 PM
rainbow, you've been doing so well! How can you walk away from all this techie success? :D

When you guys start talking like this ....

It's only offering me a choice of .jpg, .png, .bmp, or .tif :shrug:

aslan
April 7th, 2009, 02:53 PM
hazel go here, it is a walkthrough on how to convert a jpeg into a pdf file.

www.novapdf.com/kb/convert-jpg-to-pdf-or-other-image-formats-to-pdf-105.html

Diamondsmum
April 7th, 2009, 02:56 PM
hazel any chance you can email to me?

I can convert it for ya Then find a converter online (used to have a link but boss bought me Adobe Prof & I can do all that stuff now)

let me see if I can find a convertor.

.tiff is the one for scanning I beieve for easy conversion to PDf

http://www.jpegtopdf.com/ here is a converter (that will allow same thing) its kinda a printer port but .pdf

Diamondsmum
April 7th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Another idea .. is depending on which program your using for your office Applications (Office 2007 or MS works) there is a add-on with Office to allow conversion to PDF built in.

Just havta download it.:sad:

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I'd have to download novapdf...not sure if I want yet another program to use with the scanner :yell: It was one-stop processing with imagezone! What a pain! :sad:

I've bookmarked it, though, aslan--thanks for the link! At least it's something to fall back on...

ooops....almost forgot I'm supposed to chat with an HP scanner guy today....better go do that. :o

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 03:27 PM
hazel any chance you can email to me?

I can convert it for ya Then find a converter online (used to have a link but boss bought me Adobe Prof & I can do all that stuff now)

let me see if I can find a convertor.

.tiff is the one for scanning I beieve for easy conversion to PDf

http://www.jpegtopdf.com/ here is a converter (that will allow same thing) its kinda a printer port but .pdf

I often do 10 - 15 letters a week, sign them, scan them as a .pdf and email them. Official stuff. I need something easy that doesn't involve emailing an 800KB .jpg out for conversion :sad:

Another idea .. is depending on which program your using for your office Applications (Office 2007 or MS works) there is a add-on with Office to allow conversion to PDF built in.

Just havta download it.:sad:

I have Office 2003. Think there's an app out there for that version of office?

Diamondsmum
April 7th, 2009, 03:48 PM
let me check hazel for you :)

Diamondsmum
April 7th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I didnt realize aslan has posted a program already my bad (what i posted was kinda same thing)

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I gotta go. Chatting with HP, but I can't have two windows open at once on this :censored: connection

dmc123
April 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM
hazelrunpack,

I am not a Vista expert, but have some tips that I found helpful. Not sure any of them will help you with the exact things you are working on, but they can be found on my new post....http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=766236#post766236

Good luck,
Diane

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks, Diane! I just saw it :thumbs up I bookmarked some of them.

On a different note, the tech I was chatting with gave me a link to a 216M download for scanner software that is compatible with Vista. So tomorrow, hubby will download it to his work machine and bring it home to hazel on a CD. And, with any kind of luck, the scanner will be functional again by tomorrow night.

Slowly but surely, the computer is becoming functional! :highfive: I couldn't have done a lot of it without everyone's help!

Now then...what can you all do to make madame hazel more functional? :o

Dee-O-Gee
April 7th, 2009, 10:21 PM
:highfive:'s and keeping the :fingerscr:fingerscr's crossed for hubby and the HP Scanner CD.

Now to make Madame Hazel more functional? :rolleyes:

Please excuse me if I'm out of line but maybe take a breather from that piece of :censored: Vista box wasting space in your house and enjoy some quite time away from all of the techi stress crap?

We're all here for you Hazel with big :grouphug::grouphug:'s

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 10:43 PM
:highfive:'s and keeping the :fingerscr:fingerscr's crossed for hubby and the HP Scanner CD.

Now to make Madame Hazel more functional? :rolleyes:

Please excuse me if I'm out of line but maybe take a breather from that piece of :censored: Vista box wasting space in your house and enjoy some quite time away from all of the techi stress crap?

:laugh:

That's what hubby tells me, too! :laughing:

Dee-O-Gee
April 7th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Well...here's hoping that you'll soon find the light at the end of the tunnel. :lightbulb:

Like I said earlier...it's just a learning curve but don't let it beat the :censored: out of you :D

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Now that I'm not staying up all night downloading updates and software, I'm doing much better. :o Amazing what a little sleep will do for ya. :rolleyes:

growler~GateKeeper
April 8th, 2009, 01:39 AM
But at least I could open the file in Word. All the contact info is there, I just need to find the time to enter it all back in. :rolleyes:

This is where Copy & Paste becomes your new bestest buddy :D

:highfive: on starting to get your software/hardware sorted out :goodvibes: for the scanner

hazelrunpack
April 8th, 2009, 07:41 PM
It's easier for me to just type it in. That way I don't have to change windows. :D I confuse easily :laughing:

The good news--I just installed the software hubby downloaded for me and hazel has a fully functional scanner again! :thumbs up Plus her favorite photo editor! :cloud9:

:highfive:

Dee-O-Gee
April 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM
It's easier for me to just type it in. That way I don't have to change windows. :D I confuse easily :laughing:

The good news--I just installed the software hubby downloaded for me and hazel has a fully functional scanner again! :thumbs up Plus her favorite photo editor! :cloud9:

:highfive:

Wow - that's great Hazel :thumbs up

It's always a pleasant surprise when a peripheral rises from the dead not to mention getting the photo editor back too 50547 50547

ancientgirl
April 8th, 2009, 08:16 PM
It's the little things in life that make us happy. I'm glad you got things to work!

hazelrunpack
April 8th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Dirty brackifratz...the one editing tool that I was looking for isn't included in this version :frustrated: So I'll still need a second editor. :o Oh, well...I'm still pretty happy

:goodvibes: <----madame hazel doing the happy dance :D

rainbow
April 9th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Glad to hear that you've found a solution to most of your problems. :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
April 9th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Got my printing fonts back! :thumbs up Still working on the templates, but I think we've located them on the old machine :fingerscr We're a week into this. Nothing like a smooth conversion, eh? :rolleyes:

aslan
April 9th, 2009, 09:15 AM
If you need certain programs, but can't download, afford, blah blah, could i not get them for you and send them to hubby to copy?

hazelrunpack
April 9th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I think I've finallygot most of the software in order. :thumbs up

Smiley14
April 12th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Hazel, I'm sorry I'm so late to this! And I haven't read every single post, so sorry if this has already been mentioned! :)

I've had Vista for two years now. I HATED it at first and had many fits with tears over it too. Now I'm used to it though and don't mind it. A few things, let me know if you're in interested.

--There's a way to "Neuter" Vista so many of the "pretty," but memory sucking functions are turned off and it's back to more of a basic OS again.

--To run anything as an Administrator, right click on the icon and chose, "Run as Administrator."

--Directions for exporting and importing mail from Outlook to Windows Mail:
http://www.vista4beginners.com/Migrate-from-Outlook-Express-to-Windows-Mail

--This Vista forum was and still is VERY helpful for me!
http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?act=idx

--Firefox runs much faster than IE on Vista. You may want to install Firefox and use it for everything but your newsletters. It makes everyday browsing much easier. :)

Smiley14
April 12th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Just wanted to add, Good luck! I feel your pain! :(

hazelrunpack
April 12th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks, Smiley! It's getting better...slowly :rolleyes:

I may have to get back to you on the neutering...although everything seems to be running pretty well right now :thumbs up Lots of memory and 4 processors make a big difference...and I think some of the stuff I'm running is optimized for the 64-bit technology and that may be helping, too? :shrug:

The time has come, I guess, to finally try out Firefox... :D

angeldogs
April 12th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Hazel was some of the problems you are having was it transfering from the old pc to the new.?

I have to transfer between windows XP to Vista and not looking forward to it.

hazelrunpack
April 12th, 2009, 09:50 PM
The data files themselves transferred well. The programs did not. About half my software either wouldn't install or was disfunctional when it did. This machine is 64-bit technology, though, and I'm not sure what all that entails, so not sure if it was the 64-bit feature or Vista itself that the software was incompatible with.

HP has chat rooms for problems and the techs are very helpful (plus it's free :D), but it sure would have helped if I'd had high-speed....heck, even just decent speed :laughing: I kept timing out and/or losing the connection. :o

angeldogs
April 13th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Maybe i'm in for some fun.this on is 64 bit also and have no clue what that means.this is a laptop and will have to keep it plugged in through it all as it eats battery power.after about 2 hour i'm out of battery.it's only a 4 cell dual processer and Toshiba said thats why.it's just as quick if not quicker then the desk top pc.

hazelrunpack
April 13th, 2009, 10:44 PM
That's a bummer about the battery getting sucked down so fast. :frustrated:

If all the software you use is already installed on it, then you'll probably be okay. All my data transfered over well. It was the software I use that I had trouble with. Some of the software that came with the scanner, in particular.

Will you have to add more software to it? Sometimes it's hard to tell if it will be compatible. Usually, it will say if it's Vista compatible, but I guess sometimes it also needs to be 64-bit compatible. I'm not sure if that refers to an addressing/register size or what :shrug: Or why it should make some software crap out :o But it's darn frustrating when it does!

angeldogs
April 14th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Some of the programing i have on disk.my printer is new this year so the disk should work no problem.i think i might need some of the programing and i've already tried to network with a router i have here with no success.we will see what happens.

hazelrunpack
April 14th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I wish you a fervent good luck :grouphug: Took me about 8 days to get back up to mostly functional :o Don't know if Toshiba has online support, but I got a lot of help from HP's online tech chat lines...would have been even better if I hadn't been losing the connection every 5 minutes :rolleyes:

angeldogs
April 14th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I like HP tech support.my compaq is owned by HP so i've used their tech support and they were great to deal with.

hazelrunpack
April 14th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I agree about HP chat! Despite my failing connections, the techs were very helpful and found me a solution in less than half an hour! :thumbs up

angeldogs
April 14th, 2009, 08:26 PM
When we bought our compaq it came with 256mb of memmory and with in the first few weeks i bought a 512mb memmory stick from the store the pc came from and the memmory stick they said i needed.well it slowed down my pc and when i took it to their tech guys they could figure it out.hp chat had it working properly in these then an hour.i wanted a HP laptop but it was out of the price range.

hazelrunpack
April 14th, 2009, 11:59 PM
That musta been a while ago! It only had 256 M of memory? :eek: I remember those days! :laughing:

Actually, the machine that had the motherboard failure had 512 M installed in it. I was really surprised that only 3 years later, computers were coming with 4G or more of memory! :eek: Surprised, but a nice surprise. :D It wasn't all that expensive, either. I only need the HP tower and it was less than $600 :thumbs up

Diamondsmum
April 15th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Hazel I feel your pain LOL when yours crashed.

My Boys PC bit the dust lastnight (He was running XP) I knew It was happening did a backup day before & gives me an excuse to get him a laptop. :thumbs up.

Its a easy fix in all honesty but its about 3yrs old. & what I will do is replace what failed & send it/donate to person in need. :D

His is the oldest out of the bunch & custom built by me. but he has been buggin for a laptop & now he can get one :laughing: (I just gotta share mine for now):frustrated:

When I built it 3yrs ago it cost me $1400+ back then as I didnt want everything intregrated into motherboard. So graphics/sound/LAN/& USB are all seperate cards. + it sports a 22inch LCD moniter. which flips when your doing long Documents.

I will miss PITA :rip: Until I breathe life into it :rolleyes:< Pain in The Ass as when I bought XP Prof for it the disk was bad & I had to get a replacement from MS took 3wks for it to come LOL.

angeldogs
April 15th, 2009, 12:46 PM
That musta been a while ago! It only had 256 M of memory? :eek: I remember those days! :laughing:

Actually, the machine that had the motherboard failure had 512 M installed in it. I was really surprised that only 3 years later, computers were coming with 4G or more of memory! :eek: Surprised, but a nice surprise. :D It wasn't all that expensive, either. I only need the HP tower and it was less than $600 :thumbs up
I bought it back in 2005.and since then have put 2 512 memmory sticks in.it's does good execpt for gaming and same with the laptop which is ok.i'm not a gamer anyways.I think my next one will be custom made.

hazelrunpack
April 26th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Okay...yet another mystery. How do I backup my email separately? I hate the way Vista wants to do it all for you--but then I have no idea where something might be on the backup disks.

In XP, I could go out to the store file for email and copy the account information, the contacts and the actual emails to an Email Backup file, which I then copied out to a backup CD. Can I do that in Vista?

I tried using the Backup function of Vista and just selected the email files, but then I had to put only those files on the CD. That's sort of a waste of space. (I used to put email backup, and a couple other large folder backups on the same CD.) Is there some way I can make a copy of the Windows Mail store file and put that out to a CD with copies of those other large folders?

Or is it just easier to let Vista do the whole backup routine by itself? If you do that, can you go to the back up disks and easily find the files you need to restore if you only need one or two files and don't want to restore everything?

Sigh....I'm getting used to life with Vista, but it sure ain't the best use of my time :p

Dee-O-Gee
April 26th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Does Vista not have the good old Windows Explorer where you can drag and drop other large folders into the CD Drive in a "My Computer" location?
:shrug:

hazelrunpack
April 26th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Yes, but you have to create the backup folder for the email program first before you can drag and drop--at least you do in XP if you want the email backup to contain contacts and account information as well as the actual emails. I'm not sure how to do that in Vista, if it can even be done.

There is an automatic backup feature, but it hogs the whole CD-RW for just email info and then closes it to additional files. If I have to, I can just do the email backup separately and add an extra disk to my backups, but it's such a waste. :o

angeldogs
April 27th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Let me know how it all goes.i haven't tried to backup my files yet.i have a backup disk.but don't know if i need blank ones for backing up or the dicks that came with the laptop.i've never ever have backedup files.

ancientgirl
April 27th, 2009, 03:22 PM
When I first got my laptop it was supposed to allow me to save the start up hardware, so if I have a crash, I can re install the startup stuff.

It kept getting stuck and freezing! To this day I've never backed up anything because it's such a pain in the butt. which is why I'm looking for one of those portable drives to save all my photos.

angeldogs
April 27th, 2009, 03:52 PM
When I first got my laptop it was supposed to allow me to save the start up hardware, so if I have a crash, I can re install the startup stuff.

It kept getting stuck and freezing! To this day I've never backed up anything because it's such a pain in the butt. which is why I'm looking for one of those portable drives to save all my photos.

I plan i getting one in the future for my photo's and important documents.

hazelrunpack
April 27th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Were those the recovery disks, AG? Those actually worked pretty well for me :thumbs up

And I can backup my data easily. All I need to do now is figure out how to keep all my email info backed up. :frustrated:

ancientgirl
April 28th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Yeah Hazel, the recovery disk. I still have not been able to figure that out.:frustrated:

hazelrunpack
April 28th, 2009, 09:51 AM
One thing I found out is that if it collects the data and writes it, but the verification fails, don't tell it to try again. Just cancel the job, and retry it from the beginning--it'll pick up where it left off. If you just retry, every disk you try to write seems to fail during verification. When I finally just stopped the job and restarted it, the very next disk verified fine. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
April 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I'll have to give that a try then. Seems it would be easier to just have the darn discs already for the consumer!

angeldogs
April 28th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I'll have to give that a try then. Seems it would be easier to just have the darn discs already for the consumer!

I do have disk i got with the laptop if it crashes.i quess i will need to pick some blank ones up to backup all my pics and documents.

hazelrunpack
April 28th, 2009, 10:21 AM
You got a Vista disk, angeldogs? On mine, there is a factory image burned to the hard drive but if you want that on a recovery disk, you have to make your own. :rolleyes: The thing that bothers me the most is that I'm noticing a lot of my CDs and DVDs are failing after two years or so...which means about the time I need that recovery disk, it's going to be kaput :frustrated:

angeldogs
April 28th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I don't have the vista disk it's self but i got 2 recovery disk and wndows live one care disk is what came with it.
I am enjoying some of the vista like when you put a site to the task bar and when you touch it with the curser it shows you what it is and i like the document folder better.

hazelrunpack
April 28th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I hate the directory system! :yell: But then, I sort of did in XP, too--all those extra folders that I don't use. :o I have my own system....matches madame hazel's zany personality! :laughing: The beauty of it is that my data is perfectly safe--noone can find it without madame hazel's crystal ball! :p

I like the switch between windows feature...I don't find it useful, but occasionally i just do it cuz it's cool to watch! :D

angeldogs
April 30th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I know the switch between windows is cool to watch.I'm liking the Vista much better then i thought i would.just getting used it after being with XP.it was the same when i went from 98 to XP.liked it better just had to get used to it.

hazelrunpack
April 30th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I went from 95 to XP. No complaints there, at all! :thumbs up I was just so happy the machine wasn't shutting itself down every 20 minutes or so like the Windows 95 one was! :p The worst part was that the durn thing would hang during the shutdown! :laughing:

Ah, yes...sweet memories of Windows 95, worst operating system ever introduced by MS. :D So far, I think XP has been their best. Although Vista is nowhere near as bad as 95, it definitely can't hold a :candle: to XP. IMHO, of course :angel:

angeldogs
April 30th, 2009, 11:02 PM
seems some like it others don't.i just got the internet explorer 8 as it down loaded it in my update.i'm going to have fun playing with some of the features on it.

hazelrunpack
May 1st, 2009, 09:17 PM
I just got that upgrade, too. The only thing I've done with it so far is remove the annoying Favorites Bar from the Toolbar... :rolleyes: Does it have useful features? :D

ancientgirl
May 2nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
I went from 95 to XP. No complaints there, at all! :thumbs up I was just so happy the machine wasn't shutting itself down every 20 minutes or so like the Windows 95 one was! :p The worst part was that the durn thing would hang during the shutdown! :laughing:

Ah, yes...sweet memories of Windows 95, worst operating system ever introduced by MS. :D So far, I think XP has been their best. Although Vista is nowhere near as bad as 95, it definitely can't hold a :candle: to XP. IMHO, of course :angel:

I lurve XP. It's so user friendly.

hazelrunpack
May 3rd, 2009, 09:23 PM
Okay...a new annoyance.

Either Vista or IE 8 doesn't cache pages as well as XP or IE 7 did. When I open a picture thread, it's always taken me a while to download all the pics the first time. However, with the old system, the images were cached and the next time I got into the thread (as long as I did it within a day or two) the cached images came in quickly.

Not so with Vista and IE 8--everytime I get into a picture thread, the pictures load as slowly as if it were the first time. :frustrated:

Anyone know how to tweak this system into caching images? :fingerscr

Dee-O-Gee
May 3rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
Ah man, you got IE 8 too?

Our IT guy told us to refrain from downloading IE 8 til he can see if it's compatible with our network. Sorry Madame, I can't give any caching comments for IE 8 but I will inquire. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
May 3rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks, klm. I have my automatic updates set for manual download now. :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
May 4th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Hazel, try using Firefox as your browser. It might help with the slowness.

hazelrunpack
May 4th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I might have to...but I'll still need IE to do the newsletter. :o Publisher (what I use to build it) isn't compatible with Firefox.

ancientgirl
May 4th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I use Firefox at work, but I still need to use IE to get on to some sites. I just find Firefox so much easier and faster.

Chris21711
May 4th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I asked DM about IE8 and she told me to stay away from it for now...not that I would know the difference, but I asked and I'm glad I did....

hazelrunpack
May 4th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I'm thinking I should try to get back to IE7, which seemed to work pretty well for me. Not sure how to go about it, though--haven't really checked into it, yet.

Dee-O-Gee
May 4th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Hazel...can you try to see if IE 8 has something similar to this....

I would think IE 8 would still have the Tools, Internet Options., etc. :shrug:

hazelrunpack
May 4th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Mine is set to automatically check for updated pages, too, but it was only set for 50M...I set it up higher, just in case the issue is that there isn't enough space to store everything :shrug:

Now I'll go test it out. :D Thanks, klm!

hazelrunpack
May 4th, 2009, 03:15 PM
That actually seems to have helped! :thumbs up At least, I was able to get back in the Pack's Spring thread without laboriously reloading all the pics one by one. :o

Cool!