Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chasing Amy... Er, Cats.

Zarathustra
April 4th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Well, my Bull Arab Cross, from the day we brought her home from the shelter, has chased my young boy, Zeus, Cat Of The House.

Tilly, who is adorable in every other way, will chase after Zeus. And I mean scrambled off the bed, fly across the room, crash land and scatter down the hallway. Zeus, of course, bolts.

Now, Tilly doesn't hurt Zeus, never has. And Zeus just runs, doesn't seem to phase him that much although I'm sure he dislikes being chased. For me, however, it's the most frustrating thing in the house. You can bet that every night before I'm about to fall asleep, Tilly will storm off.

After several months of allowing this behaviour, because frankly I wasn't sure how to even go about stopping her, I'm getting to the point where I would love some advice on this. Should I close the bedroom door at night? Should I use a spray bottle of water?

:candle:

sugarcatmom
April 5th, 2009, 01:39 AM
This is one of the better articles explaining how to stop your dog from chasing cats: http://labadoption.org/linkpages/DogBehave/Articles/Cats.pdf A spray bottle isn't the best option because you'll likely spray the cat as well, adding to the stress of the situation. Basically, you need to work on obedience with Tilly, and possibly even tether her to you whenever Zeus is in the same room. If it were me, I would close the bedroom door at night and not leave Zeus and Tilly together unsupervised. Even though Tilly hasn't hurt Zeus yet, that doesn't mean it might not happen. The thrill of the chase can quickly escalate.