Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fredericton NEWBIE

WantingToLearn
April 4th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Hi all,

Another newbie here. I'm here so I can learn about cats, and their care. I've always wanted a cat, but my family was a dog's family, and so I've only had dogs.

I've been doing some research on cats and kittens and I've found the perfect two for adoption on kijiji.

My main questions are:

1. Pet Insurance. Do pet insurance companies direct bill and if not how does the whole payment and claiming works. Say I did get a cat and she fell ill and the bill was $900, would i be expected to pay that in full, or would I pay, say 15% and then vet submits the claim for the rest?

2. One of the cats I want is a 3 year old , spayed, vaccinated, and declawed beauty. The other is a 8 week old kitten. How much would deworming, and shots cost? If she's an indoor cat do i have to spay her? I live in an apt.

3. Start up costs. Can someone walk me through the start up costs as well as the monthly costs (food, and insurance)

Can anyone tell me what to expect. The only cats I've come accross have been pretty solitary, but the ones I've seen on Kijijij I desperately want to adopt (esp the 3 yr old) because i don't want them to end up in the shelter.

Thanks! And I hope I can continue to learn a lot from you all.

PS.- 2 more things.

1. Is VetInsurance any good? It looks like they pretty popular along with the PurinaCare and CherryBlue.

2. Can anyone recommend a vet in New Brunswick (Fredericton). If I do this I want to be prepared.

Blackdog22
April 4th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Welcome!!
I don't have cats, but many people on this board seem very knowledgable about the little critters. I'm sure you'll learn alot!

I use PetSecure with my dogs, it costs about $31 a month (per dog) through credit card.
I do believe they pay 80% while we pay 20%. Overall it's a great deal.
The way it works for us; we pay the vet in full, he then fills out a form which he gives back to me along with the receipt. I fill out the rest of the claim form and send it in.

As far as adopting goes, why not look into a rescue or cat sanctuary?

Again, welcome to the board.....

WantingToLearn
April 5th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Hi BlackDog22,

Thanks for the welcome. That's a bit reassuring about the insurance, but it also means I should probably build up on my emergency funds, because some how I don't think I'd have $900+ available for immediate payment to a vet should emergencies arise. I don't know why I thought Vets direct billed. lol. Guess I learned something new today. *sigh* ....maybe I'm planning too much and I should just get my kitten! :cloud9:

Honestly, for some reason I'm being pulled to the free to a good home kittens on kijiji. I saw the perfect one, beautiful 7 month old, came with everything, and recently had vet check up. The owner was moving. I've looked at the SPCA but most of their cats are older, and I can't seem to find a kitten that tugs at my heart. I have to be honest though and admit that I've only been looking online. I'm going to continue my research and maybe visit the SPCA personally. I don't think that Freddy has anything other than the SPCA and kind people offering their cats for new homes. But I could be wrong...

Mat&Murph
April 5th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Hey and Welcome!! I grew up in Freddy and still have family there. Welcome to the forum

Tundra_Queen
April 6th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Hi
Welcome to the Forum!

Vetinsurance can either bill your credit card or take it out of your bank account per month. The older the cat when u get their insurance the higher the monthly rate. Also they don't cover evertything. like dental costs, existing illness, hip hisplysia. Your vet probably has a pamplet on the insurance and where u can call for more info.

Debbie

WantingToLearn
April 9th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Hi again,

Thanks so much for the welcome. I'll do some more research on insurance etc

:)