Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Look what we found

Mat&Murph
April 4th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Last night when I was putting my youngest daughter to bed..I noticed a dark spot outside her window. Looked out and we found a birds nest. It had to be made over the last week as I just washed the wimdows last weekend and would have noticed it. Anyways No eggs yet and I don't know who the adultes are yet but I will keep you poseted.
Pics didn't turn out the greatest cause of the screen

rainbow
April 4th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Aww, you and your daughters are going to have so much fun watching them once they settle in and then the eggs hatch. :cloud9:

And, don't forget that we will want pics too. :D

Mat&Murph
April 4th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Of course there will be tons of pics. We are all excited here to see the birds and watch babies grow. I have to get the screen out of the window somehow :crazy:

rainbow
April 4th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I think the pics show well enough even if you leave it in. :)

Will Matt & Murph be interested at all or are they much too laid back for that? :D

Mat&Murph
April 4th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Matt might take alittle interest, if he sees something fly into it. Murphy won't even bother with it. Murphy is sooo laid back he thinks in slow motion!! :laughing:

rainbow
April 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Matt might take alittle interest, if he sees something fly into it. Murphy won't even bother with it. Murphy is sooo laid back he thinks in slow motion!! :laughing:

:laughing: ...you must get so many laughs every day with those two. :D :cloud9:

Mat&Murph
April 4th, 2009, 02:10 PM
You have nooooo idea!!! I have never had 2 stranger dogs in my life!!!! Plus I used to do agilty and tracking too.

rainbow
April 4th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Well, they do bring a smile to my face every time I see pics of them. :cloud9:

chico2
April 4th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Wow M&M,it looks quiet big,maybe Robins??
It's amazing what they can build,we have a couple of Robins in our front-hedge.It will be great to see what kind of birds they are:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
April 4th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I vote for robins, too :D 'Specially if there's lots of mud holding it together! If there's not so much mud, I'll vote for house finches! :thumbs up How exciting, either way!!! :goodvibes:

Mat&Murph
April 5th, 2009, 09:57 AM
UpDate: So far I haven't seen any birds but this morning my daughter said she saw a brown bird. (not much help) :crazy: But we are still watching. The nest is made with alot of mud, mybe a inch across and about 2 inches deep. If that helps with the quesses. I will keep you posted

Love4himies
April 5th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Oh this must be so exciting for you! We are going to regular pic updates, cause it wouldn't be fair to keep them all to yourself :pray:

14+kitties
April 5th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I wish I knew more about birds. This is so exciting for you and your girls! A great learning experience. :thumbs up Hopefully the doggies won't take too much notice.

Mat&Murph
April 5th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I know nothing about birds but so far it has been fun. I told the kids we have to be very quiet to not scare the birds so they don't even talk in that room anymore!! :laughing: I can't wait to actually see the bird

14+kitties
April 5th, 2009, 10:17 AM
:laughing::laughing: You can only hope the "no talking" in the room lasts for a while!!! ;)

Chris21711
April 5th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Perfect M&M now we have two lots of birds to follow :thumbs up

I was thinking the same as Hazel, that they might be Robins, if the nest has plenty of mud, but now I'm for a loop....since you said the nest area is only about 1 inch across, the Robin nests I have are at least twice as big...hmmm :confused:

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Yep...too small for robins.... :shrug: hmmmmmm....

House finches are still a possibility.

Chris21711
April 5th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Yep...too small for robins.... :shrug: hmmmmmm....

House finches are still a possibility.

House finches use mud also Hazel? I've never seen a finch nest.

Mat&Murph
April 5th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Now I have no idea what kind of bird it is but I was oputside raking this afternoon and I saw a little brown with black speckles bird fly into the nest area. I couldn't get a pic as I left my Camera in the house (I know, really dumb of me) But I am still working on it. Anyways the bird is really small. about the size of a chickadee. Any suggestions on what it could be?

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2009, 11:52 PM
If you see a pair and one is brown with streaks and the other has a reddish top and back of the head, they're house finches...they'd be less than half again the size of a chickadee. There might be sparrows that nest where you live, too...but most of them won't nest under an awning like that.

A pic of the birds would be good, M&M. :D I hope you're successful in your picture quest soon!

Chris, the house finches made a pretty muddy nest under dad's awning the year before last. They made such a mess on his drive that year that he actually put baricades up under his awning to prevent a repeat nesting. :o

chico2
April 6th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I am at a loss,brown with black speckles:confused:

Maybe a bird I don't get?Too small for a Swallow..we'll just have to wait for a pic.

Chris21711
April 6th, 2009, 08:59 AM
A pic of the birds would be good, M&M. :D I hope you're successful in your picture quest soon!

M&M you are gonna have to walk around with that camera of yours slung around your neck.....Hazel and I are pretty demanding when it comes to birds :laughing:

Chris, the house finches made a pretty muddy nest under dad's awning the year before last. They made such a mess on his drive that year that he actually put baricades up under his awning to prevent a repeat nesting. :o

Did he take pics?...You wouldn't think that such a little bird would make such a mess 50405

Mat&Murph
April 6th, 2009, 02:55 PM
LOL My grandmother said the same thing. It is raining here so you would think I would see the bird hiding out from the rain But noooo. I might have to climb on a chair to see inside the nest

rainbow
April 6th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Could it be a house wren? Aren't they little brown birds? :shrug:

hazelrunpack
April 6th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Did he take pics?...You wouldn't think that such a little bird would make such a mess 50405

I think he does have some...not sure, though.

The mess really started when the babies were born. To keep the nest clean, they hang their little butts over the edge when they have to poop. :D The nest was over his driveway...

Could it be a house wren? Aren't they little brown birds? :shrug:

They're cavity nesters, though--they'd much prefer something a little cozier. Just not enough ambience under an awning! :D

Mat&Murph
April 6th, 2009, 07:59 PM
it will be interesting
I should put a bird feeder out

Chris21711
April 7th, 2009, 10:10 AM
it will be interesting
I should put a bird feeder out

Putting out a birdfeeder might not necessarily tempt said bird in question M&M it all depends on what they eat. Probably with this weather no eggs have been laid, plus you would see the bird sitting on the eggs once they are laid, you shouldn't have to go peeking inside.....Then again it could be a decoy nest, some birds are crafty like that :cool:

Definately need that camera swung around your neck, or even better park yourself in a chair and sit all day waiting :D

Mat&Murph
April 7th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I bought a birdfeeder and Have that hanging around the corner from the nest. I haven't seen any birds today....Has to be the weather!!!! Believe me I am getting determined to get a pic so if I have to plant myself in a chair I will :laughing: Wish me luck

CarolynInPEI
April 7th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Just reading this thread and I am curious what kind of bird that is nesting on your house. If it's brown with speckles, maybe it's a starling? Just a guess, they are small and brown.....but they are bigger than a chickadee though.

chico2
April 7th, 2009, 04:00 PM
M&M,you might regret that:laughing:we have about 25 Pigeons here every day,plus everything else,but we love them all:lovestruck:
We have 3 feeders,not counting the Humming-bird feeder.
Also it can get very expensive for good seeds+Niger seeds,we think it's well worth it though:thumbs up

Mat&Murph
April 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Well at least I will get some pics of birds LOL :laughing: This mystery is driving me crazy!!!

Mat&Murph
April 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I was wrong. The bird is not the little brown one. It is a ROBIN!!!! How she is fitting into that nest is beyond me. Finally saw her in the nest but when i went to get the camera she was gone But I looked into the nest and one little blue egg :lovestruck: I am soo excited:thumbs up If you look close you can see it at the bottom

SIL
April 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Congrats M&M on your future new addition :laughing: A few years back we had a robin's nest in our mail box by the front door. The mailman probably thought we were :crazy: we had a sign on the door telling him to put the mail between the screen and front doors. I wasn't able to take a picture of the baby birds but we did see 2 hatched blue eggs at the end of it all.

Mat&Murph
April 9th, 2009, 02:39 PM
LOL on the mailman!!! How long for it to hatch?? Anybody??

SIL
April 9th, 2009, 02:45 PM
M&M...I did a couple of google searches and they say from 12 to 14 days after the last egg is laid. Someone put together a really cool blog...
http://www.i-pets.com/rpet19.html

Mat&Murph
April 9th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks Sil :thumbsup

hazelrunpack
April 9th, 2009, 03:14 PM
How cool is that?! :highfive:

Yep, 12-14 days in the egg, another 14-16 in the nest...so you've got plenty of entertainment ahead! :thumbs up Just think of all the money you'll save in video rentals. :laughing:

chico2
April 9th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Awww look at that blue little egg,that's just great:thumbs up
It looks like the Robins picked a pretty safe place t build their nest.
Here I have a pair of Robins in my blue spruce,hope they are safe:fingerscr

Mat&Murph
April 9th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks guys. Really excited
Was talking to my gm..and she thought I was having a heart attack. I hung up on her and everthing :laughing:

hazelrunpack
April 9th, 2009, 08:09 PM
:laughing: Well I hope you called her back and set her mind at ease! :D I thought I was the only one who got so excited about this stuff. When the phoebes decided to nest under the deck two years ago I spent hours spying on them from the basement. :p

babymomma
April 10th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Of course im sure You know this, But be very very very quiet.. My grandma gets 2-3 Robin nests around her house each year, and each year the eggs arre abandoned because of the noise.. Its sad to have to clean out the nests each year.. Of course i always bury the eggs:o

Mat&Murph
April 10th, 2009, 10:34 AM
We are trying our very best to keep the noise level down. Lucky my girls don't play much in their rooms so kind of easy.
I did phone my gm back and she laught at me. But she is the same way so she understood. :)

Chris21711
April 10th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Great going M&M, mystery solved :thumbs up

rainbow
April 10th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Good luck to momma and poppa robin :fingerscr ....looking forward to seeing pics of the babies soon. :goodvibes:

Mat&Murph
April 22nd, 2009, 01:14 PM
Well Update. There are 2 eggs. I was really worried that Momma Robin had left the nest cause That little brown bird I had seen befor was IN the robin's nest and Momma Robin was freaking out. Then I dod see her for a couple days. But I think she is back now
Keep fingures crosses all is well with Babies

hazelrunpack
April 22nd, 2009, 01:23 PM
I wonder if that smaller brown bird was a cowbird. They're nest parasites--they lay their eggs in other birds' nests. :shrug:

Many birds lay eggs a day or two apart and don't start incubating them until the last one is laid. I hope that's why Mama has been off the nest so much! :fingerscr

rainbow
April 22nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
I didn't know that cowbirds laid their eggs in other birds' nests. I am not surprised though as they are very defensive critters. If the cats are out in the yard with us they dive bomb them continuously especially once they've had their babies.

Hopefully Momma Robin will stay on the eggs now. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
April 22nd, 2009, 04:10 PM
Yes,the Cowbirds are lazy,don't bother building nests and just dump their eggs in someones nest.
The sad part is,their babies are bigger,than Sparrow-babies,so they get all the food and smaller babies die.:sad:
I've seen it here in one of my bird-houses.

Mat&Murph
April 22nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
I am just hoping that the eggs that are in the nest are ok...I felt sooo bad for Momma robin

Dee-O-Gee
April 22nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
Keep the :fingerscr:fingerscr's crossed and hopefully Mr. :stork-baby: will deliver :thumbs up

chico2
April 23rd, 2009, 06:39 AM
M&M,I remember one year I had a Robins nest in my Blue Spruce,clearly visible from my window.
The babies were born,but constantly attacked by Blue Jays,we did all we could to try to shoo the Jays away,but they got the babies.
We watched the Robins looking for their babies,calling for them,it was really sad,but that's nature,the fittest survive and the newborns are so vulnerable:sad: