Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

car sick dog

psymons
August 7th, 2004, 11:57 AM
does anyone have any advice about how to stop car sickness in my dog, he is a neutered 1 year old Shepard/Husky mix.

glasslass
August 7th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Help him become used to the motion of the car gradually by taking him on very short trips, then gradually extending the length. We had the same problem when we hosted Japanese students. They weren't used to long car drives and would get carsick. Stop frequently for little breaks so they can get themselves settled down. Avoid over-excitement before and during the trip. The worst motion is in the back of the car. Letting them sit up-front until they're used to it with fresh air hitting them will also help.

Kona Dawg
August 8th, 2004, 12:27 AM
I agree, Kona used to get sick in the car when she was younger, now, its just not a problem anymore as she has gotten used to it. Its never a bad idea to fast them for 6 hours before any long car trip though. Definately give them water, but no food for abit won't hurt them.

heavenlyminded
August 8th, 2004, 04:46 PM
I had found that if you give your a dog a motion sickness pill before riding they do fine.
I use Dramamen, non drowsey. It is safe for dogs, if you have any questions just call and ask the vet, asking is free.
I find this at walmart and use it like you would for a child