Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My new puppy whines when in his crate...

Gucci
April 3rd, 2009, 12:31 AM
I just got a puppy- he's a Chiuahua/Terrier and he whines whenever I put him into his crate. Plus, he barks and whines all night long. I have never had a dog before, what's the best way to train him to sleep at night?

He is also biting all the time. He is only 8 weeks old and teething, but he bites my hands all the time. What should I do?

ddianam
April 4th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Hi,
I know it can be hard to listen to your puppy whine when he is in his crate, but really I think that the crate is the best thing for puppies. Some people think that crates are cruel to the dog but in fact it is great and your dog will learn that the crate is his home!
Make sure that before you put him in his crate for bedtime you take him out to the bathroom. He will most likely cry @ night in his crate for about a week, but after that he will come to love it and think of it as his home. If he whines once he is put in his crate, don't take him out because you feel sorry for him or he will learn that if he cries he will get what he wants. But make sure that he isn't crying because he has to to to the bathroom.
I have a 9 month old Yorkie and when I first got him he would cry @ night in his crate, but after a while he stopped crying and now he loves his crate so much.
Also, with an 8week old puppy you are probably going to have to take him out during the night on several occasions because at this age they cannot hold their urine for too long, but dont worry this wont last long.
It's ok if he bites your hands, my puppy did the same and really still does. But make sure that you buy him some teething toys this will help prevent him from chewing up your house! But honestly with a puppy, chewing, biting and whining are all things expected from a puppy!
Good Luck!:thumbs up

Bailey_
April 4th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Hey Gucci,

ddianam has given you some great advice. It's really hard to listen to your puppy cry, but don't forget that this is the first time anyone has ever expected your pup to sleep by himself. Before this he was with his Mom, so it's only natural for him to protest being alone.
It's incredibly important to wait this period out, avoiding going to him and taking him out whenever he cries in his crate; because as mentioned, he WILL get used to it. And it will become his 'home', and his safe place. :thumbs up

If you can substitute your hands for one of his toys whenever he starts to bite you, this will help him learn what is acceptable play and what is not. If he continues going for your hands, a high pitched "OW!" from you - and immediatley ending playtime for the time being will help.

Good luck, and have fun! :)

Dee-O-Gee
April 4th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Hi Gucci--welcome to the forum :thumbs up

As far as the biting, you need to equip yourself with some "LIME!" Not lemon or lime juice, real green lime.

Cut a little wedge and keep it handy. When he gets a little chompy and nipping, rub the piece of lime on his little nose and give the lime a little squeeze to extract some juice :thumbs up

It's all natural and will truly stop him dead in his tracks. I've used this method on 2 pups in the past and was very successful with the nipping & biting :D