Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tips for keeping outdoor pets safe?

jillybeanrocks
April 1st, 2009, 12:02 PM
DH and I were just getting to bed last night when we heard this horrible screaming from out our window. We both jumped up and went to the window; it was Baby, our feral cat that decided to adopt us last summer. It wasn't a cat fight screaming, it sounded like he was being attacked by something and he was terrified.

We ran outside in our PJs and boots with flashlights and saw that Baby went up into a tree. We called him and he came down and ran over to us, I picked him up, checked him all over and he seemed ok. We trudged through the snow to the tree and saw that there was blood in the snow, whatever had attacked him must have been bleeding when we scared it off. We think a coyote or the owl. It was a scary night.

Do you have any tips for keeping your outdoor pets safe from predators?

DH suggested a radio playing in the shed to make it sound like there are people around.

Any others?

P.S. Here are some pictures of Baby we took about a month ago... he sure has grown up from the scruffy little thing when he first came to us.

Love4himies
April 1st, 2009, 12:08 PM
The only way is to keep them inside. Do you think Baby would be happy at all with an indoor life?

BenMax
April 1st, 2009, 12:12 PM
I agree with L4H. Since you are able to touch him maybe you can keep him nestled close to you and in the safety of your arms.

He is so beautiful. Animals come into our lives for a reason. He needs you to keep him healthy and safe.

RolandsMom
April 1st, 2009, 12:20 PM
is there any way you can build him a larged fenced area (some kind of cat run) where he can stay and be safe? that way he is still outside but he is protected and you can make hima little shelter to keep him warm too.

krdahmer
April 1st, 2009, 12:42 PM
Keep him indoors, it can be done, even with ones that have spent their lives outdoors, just take a LOT of patience. (and you hae to be more stubborn than they are!!!:rolleyes::laughing:)
Or like suggested a fenced in outdoor pen of some sort, like these...http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm

jillybeanrocks
April 1st, 2009, 12:48 PM
I would love to have him inside but I don't think it would work. Baby is the cause of some commotion with our indoor cats, causing one cat to attack the other (long story for a different thread). Now we have to keep our indoor cats separated at all times to prevent injuries, adding another cat to the mix would just add to the turmoil.

My MIL and FIL made a beautiful shelter for Baby and gave it to us as an early Christmas present last fall. It's fully insulated, off the ground and has a light to keep him warm when the nights are cold. He comes out of it every morning stretching with pieces of straw all over him, he loves his house.

BenMax
April 1st, 2009, 12:50 PM
I can see that your whole family is involved in making Baby comfortable. That is one heck of a house....when can I move in???:D

Do you think another family member would consider taking him?

Love4himies
April 1st, 2009, 01:12 PM
What a lovely house. I can see you care very much for Baby :cloud9:. I know there are a lot of coyotes in your area, and it would be such a shame for him to become prey :sad:.

sugarcatmom
April 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM
I remember when Baby was a baby!!! My, how handsome he's become. He's filled out nicely.

Maybe some of those motion-detector lights in your yard would help scare off predators.

ancientgirl
April 1st, 2009, 01:47 PM
Do you have any tips for keeping your outdoor pets safe from predators?

Yes, keep them inside.

My best friend had a cat she kept outdoors. When he was about 5 or 6 he was mauled by a pack of dogs. He almost didn't make it. As it happens, he was a fighter and made it however, he was never the same. He suffered for the rest of his life with incontinence and stayed painfully thin through his life. His fur never grew out well either.

Why put your pet through something like that when there is no need to?

ETA:

Just saw your problem with the other cats. Perhaps the suggestion of a family member taking baby in would be best. I don't trust cats being outside. I lost two as a teenager because they were attacked outside.

rainbow
April 1st, 2009, 03:05 PM
The motion detector lights and a radio playing on an all-talk station might help but it would be much better to keep Baby indoors especially at night. Since you don't want him with your indoor cats do you have a garage you can confine him to?

Better yet, would your MIL and FIL consider taking in Baby? :fingerscr

jillybeanrocks
April 1st, 2009, 03:07 PM
Or like suggested a fenced in outdoor pen of some sort, like these...http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm

Thank you for this link! I think we'll make something like this.

jillybeanrocks
April 1st, 2009, 03:17 PM
The motion detector lights and a radio playing on an all-talk station might help but it would be much better to keep Baby indoors especially at night. Since you don't want him with your indoor cats do you have a garage you can confine him to?

Better yet, would your MIL and FIL consider taking in Baby? :fingerscr

Hopefully the garage will be built this year, when it is complete Baby will for sure be in there at night. We did our best with putting Baby's house inside of one of our sheds so that he was completely out of the weather this winter.

MIL/FIL live on a farm about 15 minutes away and they have quite a few cats, we've already talked to them about taking Baby but they said no. I will put a bug into their ear again and see what happens. I still want Baby and Cooper, my yorkie, to be able to play... they are the best of friends.

chico2
April 1st, 2009, 04:29 PM
Jilly,I know what it's like when your cats don't like strange cats,I could never bring a strange cat in with mine.
Baby is a beautiful cat,don't you have any place where he would be safe from predators at all?? Especially at night,the shed you used in the winter:confused:
A friend of mine lost her little Calico to some wild animal,all they found was pieces of her fur:sad:
They too live in the country,the cat used to come in at night,but one night she did not and paid the ultimate price.

jillybeanrocks
April 1st, 2009, 05:17 PM
Chico, he goes in the shed every night on his own to sleep in his house. It's just a tarp fabric shed so he goes under the front door. We were talking lastnight about putting him in there nightly and placing sand bags or a board across the front so he couldnt get back out under the door. It's something we will have to try out and see if there are any other possible entry/exit points that we'll have to cover.

14+kitties
April 1st, 2009, 05:24 PM
Have you got a sunporch, a spare bathroom away from the main part of the house, a small mudroom, laundry room....... just a small space where Baby can stay safe at night? The little house is fantastic. Great gift from the parents. Once the garage is built it would be perfect for her to have it in the garage to sleep. A right cozy little space.