Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

It's all about the collar ...

cassblonde
March 30th, 2009, 09:20 PM
First let me say that Susie has been ours since she was just a tiny pup of 7 weeks old and has never been abused with her collar. Also I just wanted to tell the story since it's such an over the top reaction in an otherwise fairly calm dog.

I first noticed Susie's adverse reaction to anyone taking her collar off the first time I swapped her collar out for something different. Every time since then that I have changed her collar or had to take her collar off she has reacted the same way. My current working theory is that she feels the collar is a part of her(since she wears it all the time) and it freaks her out when I remove it.

Whenever you remove Susie's collar she will hide and shake until you put the collar back on. Once you return the collar she remains upset for a good 20 minutes longer and then seems to get over it. Take the most recent time I had to remove her collar, I took it off to put her updated rabies tag onto it. The entire time I was working on the tag she curled up at my feet and trembled like it was the end of the world. Once I put her collar back on she lay back down in a more relaxed manner but still trembled a bit from time to time for another 15-20 minutes.

At this point I have decided that I don't need to change her collar anymore as she's reached full growth and I am pleased with how her current collar looks on her so I shouldn't be messing with it again until next year at this time.

Anyone else have a dog like this?

Dog Dancer
March 30th, 2009, 09:52 PM
You may be surprised to hear that several of us have dogs who act "oddly" when you take their collars off. To various degrees mind you. My oldest girl gets very upset when you take her collar off. Like yours she has worn it all her life and it's just a part of her. She doesn't shake, but she gets visibly upset and restless when it is off. I kinda think she's afraid it's bath time maybe, but it doesn't matter where we are when it comes off she still gets upset.

Etown_Chick
March 30th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Scruffy isn't quite that bad but yes, that's HIS collar and it belongs on HIS neck. If I take it off, he'll follow me around to see where it goes. I have to change his collar to a different style..should prove interesting.

Bailey_
March 30th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Wow, this is interesting!! I've never actually heard of this at all in dog behavior before. It's a first for me!!

growler~GateKeeper
March 31st, 2009, 01:15 AM
Next time you change the collars, or have to take it off for tag adding/removing, try putting a second collar on before taking the original one off, see if that makes a difference in the reaction. That way there is still a collar on at all times :shrug:

cassblonde
March 31st, 2009, 07:20 AM
Good idea Growler!!:lightbulb:

Melinda
March 31st, 2009, 07:31 AM
brina hates having her collar off and will try to put her head back into it, our old beagle would shake and whine till we put it back on her.

Chris21711
March 31st, 2009, 10:40 AM
Skip loves his collar, when I take it off for whatever reason, all the time he is trying to get it back on. When I wash it, I replace it with a spare...he knows it is not the right one though, it just doesn't stink right :laughing:

Iggy on the other hand, hates collars and is in his glory running nekkid :rolleyes:

Luvmypitgirls
April 2nd, 2009, 11:26 AM
LMAO...All my dogs react to having their collars removed. Probably because when I remove them I tease them by saying "Ack! Naked dogs, naked dogs!"

They get antsy without their collars on, even if it's only for a minute or two.