Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Foster cat - not happy at all

BenMax
March 30th, 2009, 01:23 PM
As most know I am more savvy when it comes to dogs but I have had my share of foster cats and kittens as well. Now I need help with my foster cats from all cat savvy foster moms and dads.

I picked up an 11 year old 'shaded silver persian' (never heard of one yet never seen one either). He is absolutely gorgeous. I took him as I knew an 11 year old would not fair well in a shelter atmosphere.

I have had him now for almost 1 week. As always with my foster cats, I put them in a beautiful spare bedroom that is quiet and has sliding glass doors so things do not get boring. Normally they will come around to at least be petted after 2 days. This guy will NOT move from under the bed. I try to coax him but it is a no go. After 3 days I normally put in my persian female who is my 'cat whisperer'. She normally adds some relaxation to any cat that I have ever had, providing them with security. Farrah is just as miffed as I. She tries to interact with him gently by not imposing herself but just lays down sprawled on her back close by. He does not hiss nor budge.

This is not working well so I removed her while I am away (don't want a fight just in case).

So what next? I am not reaching this cat. He will purr alot but I think that is just to reassure himself and it has nothing to do with being happy to see me.

Any suggestions? BTW - he is eating but I cannot coax him out with the really yummy food either.....:sad:

poodletalk
March 30th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Benmax, I had couple of foster cats, couple of them would hide underneath my tv stand and not budge.

What I would do is, I had a ball with bells, I would roll it back and forth. The cats would stick a paw out underneath the TV stand to hit it.

I would move further back, so the cat would have to come out further and further. It's a long process, but it worked for me.

I think in time, when the cat fills comfortable with his surrrondings, he will come out on his own.

14+kitties
March 30th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Is he using the litter box? If so he must be coming out from under the bed once in a while. :shrug: He's eating so that's great!
Do you know any of his background at all? It is possible that is the way he was at his old home. He may just be super shy and standoffish. Why was he given up? He could have been super attached to his owner.
He is older and therefore more set in his ways than a younger cat would be. Not news to you I am sure. He is most probably stressed and traumatized from all the changes in his life.
Does he try to swat or just purr? No hissing?
Have you tried playing with him with an interactive toy?
Have you tried sitting in the room on the floor, talking quietly? JimH says when he does that he reads to the cat. Not paying any attention to the kitty, just reading, talking quietly.
It really sounds to me like he needs time. More time than most in all likelyhood but time. Time is on your side. Hopefully he comes around.

Bailey_
March 30th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I have no idea how to help you with this BenMax, but I just wanted to give you a big pat on the back and say good job!! It's so encouraging to hear how you keep your home and life open to the more 'elderly' ones of the shelters. :thumbs up Inspiring!

BenMax
March 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Infact he does use his litter and he is eating.:thumbs up.

This poor boy was definately loved by his owner. She went into a nursing home and could not take her cat with her (what a crime!!!). The lady's daughter dropped the cat off and did not even blink an eye....my eyes did and I felt horrible for this once loved cat. The old woman brushed him everyday. He definately was well cared for.

My place is indeed a little more stressful however the bully cats have no access to him. Farrah is wonderful at helping cats feel 'at home' but he is not responding.

I do sit and talk with him, I try to touch him but he hisses (which is normal). He is not playful at all. He wants nothing to do with me and turns his back all the while squished up against the wall. He has never even gone on the bed.

I will try the reading thing though. Sounds like a great idea. Maybe I will put on some low classical music for him as well.

Should I still allow Farrah in the room? She knows he is upset or sad but does get closer to him without incident...more so than I.

14+kitties
March 30th, 2009, 02:11 PM
It probably wouldn't hurt to let Farrah in the same room with him. He isn't hurting her. Maybe with time she will be the one to get to him and help him. :shrug:
For right now he's eating, using the litter, so I would leave him. Let him come at his own pace. It's all you can do. Poor wee soul. :sad:
I wonder at nursing homes that don't let the pets go with their owners. I know we have some here that allow it and the residents are so much happier.

Gotta go..... work. :yuck:
I second Bailey....... you do a great job mf!!! :thumbs up:highfive::grouphug:

BenMax
March 30th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Ok I will let Farrah do her thing.

The normal routine for all my fosters is usually quiet seclusion, then Farrah goes in. After about 2 days I let Phoenix in as she is more outgoing and playful. After another 2 days I let one male (Riley) in however I remove Phoenix as she can aggrevate the situation and stress level with her over bearing playfulness. Farrah remains so that the other cat knows that she is close by. Finally once 3 cats approve the presence....the bad a@@ cat goes in. Usually the interaction is only one of dominence and I have yet had a cat fight. Once that is done - it's the dog. The interaction is done behind a baby gate for several days. The dog could not be bothered with the cats, but it gives the foster cat an indication of what he/she will be faced with. Normally this process works within 1 week and everyone is happy ever after.

I will of course keep working on it. I just feel so bad that he feels bad. I wish I could do more.

Thanks for your help.

Love4himies
March 30th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Persian and Himalayans are very, very timid by nature. An 11 year old will probably not adjust well to new environments so will take longer than average to settle in. They are not usually aggressive so leaving Farrah in with him, allowing him to see Farrah interact with you would be a great idea.

Playing with him would be a great way to try to get him to relax. Another suggestion, is to just sit quietly on the floor and read or talk to him, with some treats on the floor close to you.

BenMax
March 30th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I will do what it takes thank you so much. When I see him I just know he is hurting mentally. I want so much just to get close enough so that he knows that I will love him and find him a good home. It really bothers me that he could not be left with someone who loved him so. This poor boy really deserves the best (as they all do). Though the old woman has no idea what has happened I still want to honour what I think she would have wanted.

cpietra16
March 30th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Benmax, I would use Rescue Remedy. I have some if you need it. I put it in their water. Thats how I got the 2 ferels in the basement to venture upstairs. That usually does the trick. i woulds also ask the daughter if she can give you the brush that the Lady used on him. He may feel a little more at home. Once you satrt brushing him he may see you in a different light.

My mother inlaw...soon to be ex use to have persians. i never have had one but from being with hers I realised that they were very stand-off-ish....of course this could have been the nurturing part, and not who they really are.

Good Luck and let me know if I can help.

BenMax
March 30th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Benmax, I would use Rescue Remedy. I have some if you need it. I put it in their water. Thats how I got the 2 ferels in the basement to venture upstairs. That usually does the trick. i woulds also ask the daughter if she can give you the brush that the Lady used on him. He may feel a little more at home. Once you satrt brushing him he may see you in a different light.

My mother inlaw...soon to be ex use to have persians. i never have had one but from being with hers I realised that they were very stand-off-ish....of course this could have been the nurturing part, and not who they really are.

Good Luck and let me know if I can help.

Thank you. I do have the brush but I cannot get close enough. If I move forward, he squishes up more and crawls away. His ears are not back at all. He wants to trust me I think but he is frightened. Farrah, I think, is my ticket. Tonight I will put her in with him again. I have been doing so and though he is not yet confident at least he is not alone and maybe (in the cat world) he knows he has a friend.

cpietra16
March 30th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Good Luck. You can also feed Farrah in the same room and if he sees that she can trust you, then he may come out...thats how I got Antonio out....but then again he's only 6 months old.

Love4himies
March 30th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Depending on how he was brushed, he may hate or love the brush. Puddles loves to be brushed but hates the comb. My parents Himmy hated both the brush and comb.

cpietra is right, they appear to be standoffish, but are really very social to humans and other timid cats.

BenMax
March 30th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I have had 3 persians thus far (my own) and Farrah is my newest addition. She has always been very friendly and loving ....if you come to my house she is the first one on your lap.

This guy is suffering from lose I think. I can help dogs out easier than cats it would seem. Cats are silent in their thoughts, needs and wants. It is so hard to read them.

I will do my best with all this great advice.

Tundra_Queen
March 30th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Aw the poor boy! He doesn't understand where his mommie is, why she left him, all his normal life is upside down. And as we all know cats don't do well with little changes, never mind losing a loved one and not understanding why. It breaks my heart that senior's cant take their cats with them. He might even go thru depression as some cats due to loss so u will have to keep any eye out for that.

It will take him a very long time to get over his loss and to trust you. I feel so awful for him. But I'm glad he has u to look after him. Just give him lots of time.

Debbie

chico2
March 30th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Aww BenMax,what a sad kitty,I bet my cats would act the same in that situation,especially my Rocky.
They all have us on a routine and I am sure this kitty did too.
His whole world is turned upside down,nothing is familiar to him,but I know he's in a good place with you and I am certain with time he'll come around.
I think too many introductions to a dog and other cats,other than Farrah,might make him more fearful,he probably was an only cat.
That poor oldr lady must be heartbroken,too bad she cannot know,her kitty is now in a good place.
Was she my mother,I would never have left the cat she loved at a shelter:evil:

BenMax
March 30th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Aww BenMax,what a sad kitty,I bet my cats would act the same in that situation,especially my Rocky.
They all have us on a routine and I am sure this kitty did too.
His whole world is turned upside down,nothing is familiar to him,but I know he's in a good place with you and I am certain with time he'll come around.
I think too many introductions to a dog and other cats,other than Farrah,might make him more fearful,he probably was an only cat.
That poor oldr lady must be heartbroken,too bad she cannot know,her kitty is now in a good place.
Was she my mother,I would never have left the cat she loved at a shelter:evil:

I think you are right Chico2 - I will just leave Farrah with him for now. I tell you - I keep learning everyday. Nothing is in a box is it.

So I am of course worried about when it comes time to re-home....(I just cannot be a foster failure....OMG 5 cats????). :yell: (no, no, no...)

chico2
March 30th, 2009, 05:51 PM
OH,please become a foster-failure:fingerscr:laughing:
5 is not much more work than 4,especially if he promises not to get sick:cat:

BenMax
March 30th, 2009, 05:55 PM
OH,please become a foster-failure:fingerscr:laughing:
5 is not much more work than 4,especially if he promises not to get sick:cat:

Chico2 don't be bad! No, no, no.:p

cpietra16
March 30th, 2009, 06:24 PM
If anyone will get him out of his shell..its Antonio....he's still available..by the way;)

TacoGrl
March 30th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Yet another one for letting Farrah bring him out of his shell :thumbs up If it wasn't for Messina, my little man Seth would probably still be under the bed hissing at me instead of out in the living room hissing at me! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Some cats do seem to internalize and fret over things more than others...I know when I would take one of my :rip: girls to my mom's when I was on holidays, they would act like that for a few days to a week until they realized my mom had food and toys too!

At 11, it must just be heartbreaking for him to lose his mommy :cry: so he will take some time...

I was thinking about the brush...what happens if you lay it on the floor where he can see it? Maybe he will start rubbing against it if he liked to be brushed and you could slowly pick it up and start brushing him in small amounts :shrug: ...everything will be baby steps with this fella

cpietra16
March 31st, 2009, 08:35 AM
If the elderly lady wants to go out for a day trip maybe she can come and visit her little baby and coax him out and introduce you properly....ofcourse if the woman is not too elderly that is...I hate what we do to our seniors...can you imagine...going from independent, raising kids, making choices....to nothing everything gone....:sad:

ancientgirl
March 31st, 2009, 09:17 AM
BenMax, this is heartbreaking to read. Not only do I feel for this cat, who was taken from his owner who he obviously loved and felt safe with, but that poor old woman, who had her beloved cat taken from her. She must feel so alone right now.:sad: This woman's daughter is unbelievable, to just take this cat who she know her mother must have adored and just left him in a shelter. Nursing homes should allow seniors with pets to bring them with them.

I wish you much luck with this old soul. I hope Farrah can help him come out of his shell. He must be so afraid.

Jim Hall
March 31st, 2009, 09:45 AM
its a hart breaker but as long as the food is going through

purring is a signal also that, hey i am your friend so please be mine

took my girl du 8 weeks to cone out from under the bed but now she aint downunder any more

you know what do to just keeep on doing it

catlover2
March 31st, 2009, 10:06 AM
BenMax - I have posted a private message for you.

BenMax
March 31st, 2009, 10:37 AM
Thank you Catlover2 and all other posters. I appreciate all suggestions and will do what is necessary.

Farrah was with him for most of the evening. He actually came out with her there which is a good sign. If anyone can help him, she can. She is a wonderful and gentle cat - never pushes herself and I have yet to hear her hiss once.

Catlover2 - I cannot thank you enough for taking out the time to PM me. I appreciate this so very much.

My concern is that he will never intergrate with my cat pack. My Siamese will be way too much for him and I do not want to put him through more stress. My heart really goes out to this boy.

Love4himies
March 31st, 2009, 10:44 AM
If he is typical himalayan/persian, he should be fine if your pack is not aggressive. Cats can read each other so if your siamese is not the type to tear into new kitties and want to control his environment he should be fine.

BenMax
March 31st, 2009, 11:13 AM
I will have to post a picture of him once I can get his confidence. He is stunning to say the least.

ancientgirl
March 31st, 2009, 12:11 PM
I can't wait to see what he looks like.

BenMax
March 31st, 2009, 12:15 PM
Once everyone sees his photo - you will gasp. He is exquisite in looks. I have never seen such a gorgeous cat ....and I have seen just about everything.

Thanks to everyone's input I may learn more about cats and their behaviours. I really never put too much emphasis on their bahaviour based on breed....I am learning something new everyday.

onster
March 31st, 2009, 12:23 PM
Benmax bless you for helping this kitty (and so many other animals!).

Im glad that your kitty Farrah coaxed him out a bit. Some cats are just more shy. Onnie stayed in a corner by the stairs for over a week after we adopted him (he would go out at night when we were sleeping). We thought he would never budge and we have a very quiet household. He was 2/3 yrs old at that point so I can imagine an 11 yr old.

Is it possible to get something from his mom? A nightie she has slept in or a shirt she can sleep in for a day? When I put my cats in boarding I give them a shirt/nightie from my mom and myself. Onnie who is super attached to my mom is really comforted by the smell. At least it will be one familiar thing?

chico2
March 31st, 2009, 12:31 PM
BenMax,if the brush you have is his,leaving it on the floor for him might be a good idea.
Vinnie loves his brush,I could be brushing him all day:cat:

Love4himies
March 31st, 2009, 12:36 PM
No you can't anticipate behaviour 100% on breed, but I have had 2 himalayan's and a persian and they have all had the exact same personality and would react the same way as your foster is.

I really like Onster's idea if you can get something. He may be comforted by the scent. I feel sorry for this woman as she must be missing her baby too :sad:.

ancientgirl
March 31st, 2009, 01:06 PM
I have to wonder also, how long the daughter had this cat before she took it to the rescue. Not only has this poor guy lost his mommy, but he may have been confined to a cage for a long time before he went to BenMax's home.

BenMax
March 31st, 2009, 01:30 PM
I have to wonder also, how long the daughter had this cat before she took it to the rescue. Not only has this poor guy lost his mommy, but he may have been confined to a cage for a long time before he went to BenMax's home.

Very good question. The woman was brought to the home the day before. The cat never came into rescue as he was brought to a shelter. I happen to be there when they brought him in. I was drawn to the cat just based on looks while he was at the counter. I could not believe how beautiful this animal was and so I ease dropped. The daughter was very cold and callous. She had her young son with her (great teachings!!!). When the woman (who happens to be a friend of mine) asked her if she wanted to know if they would consider putting the cat up for adoption or euthanisia, the daughter replied that it was not necessary as she told her mother that she found a home for the cat.

There is no way to reach the old woman.

When I heard this story my mind immediately went to the old lady who took such good care of the cat. Even had it been a domestic, I would have done the same thing by asking to have this cat. I just think that is what the old lady would have wanted.:shrug:....just a hunch.

So I called our rescue to see if it was ok. Without them knowing what the cat looked like they told me to get the cat but I was to foster. Due to the age, there is no adoption fee....only a contract that they promise to love and care for this cat.

And that is the story about the little man.

ancientgirl
March 31st, 2009, 01:59 PM
Man, you would think the woman would at the very least take care of the cat, knowing how much her mother loved it, by it's obvious care. Maybe the old woman is very sick, perhaps with Alzheimer and she doesn't know where she is. I don't know, all the more reason to take the cat in, just knowing it belonged to the mother.

My dad and his wife have a Maltese and a Yorkie. I know if something happened to them I'd take those dogs in. I'd figure out some way to get some extra money to support 5 cats and 2 dogs. And if I couldn't make it work because of the cats, they were there first, I'd look for a home for them myself. I wouldn't just drop them off at some shelter without looking back. That's cold.

I think it was fate what happened to this little guy. The fact you were there at that moment! What's his name btw? Did I miss that?

14+kitties
March 31st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Oh, this thread makes me sooo :frustrated: because of the daughter. It also makes you think though. I need to work on finding someone who would be willing to come and feed my catty cats in case something happened to me. I hate to think what would happen if I had nothing arranged.
I hope the daughter knows Karma.......... 'cause she's gonna be meeting her soon!!!

ancientgirl
March 31st, 2009, 03:01 PM
Oh, this thread makes me sooo :frustrated: because of the daughter. It also makes you think though. I need to work on finding someone who would be willing to come and feed my catty cats in case something happened to me. I hate to think what would happen if I had nothing arranged.
I hope the daughter knows Karma.......... 'cause she's gonna be meeting her soon!!!

I think that's something we should all think about at some point. I'd hate to think of something like this happening to my babies if anything happened to me.

BenMax
March 31st, 2009, 03:09 PM
I think that's something we should all think about at some point. I'd hate to think of something like this happening to my babies if anything happened to me.

Thankfully I have a great family and we all collectively have agreed on who gets what in case. Mom's dog is the biggest challenge but I have agreed to take him. My min pin is another challenge ...... I think I will ask Brenda & the pins............(shhhhh don't tell her)!:D

It is a reality that we must all face I guess as we never know from one day to the next as to what the cards say.

Personally, even without agreement with my family, I would NEVER let any of our family pets go anywhere other than within the family. Call me sentimental, but I would want mom or sister to live on in the animal that they cherished. I think I would find comfort in having a piece of them through the animal that they love so much.

ancientgirl
March 31st, 2009, 03:15 PM
Call me sentimental, but I would want mom or sister to live on in the animal that they cherished. I think I would find comfort in having a piece of them through the animal that they love so much.

I agree. You know they loved that dog or cat or bird, or whatever the animal is. I'd feel like they were still there in a way.

chico2
March 31st, 2009, 04:33 PM
I think of that often,since I am way up there in age:sad:
I know hubby would care for them,or I would haunt him:laughing:but he'd have to learn to do the litter.
If he could not for any reason care for them and we really don't have anyone else who could take them,I told him to come on Pets.ca;)
Vinnie would probably be easy to place,Chico maybe too,but Rocky would be in trouble,nobody knows and understands him like I do.
But I hope I have another 10yrs and I don't have leave my babies behind,but you never know:sad:
BenMax,please take a pic of this little boy,I would love to see him as well as your other beautiful kitties!

BenMax
March 31st, 2009, 04:35 PM
Well Chico2 - if anything ever happened you know that there are alot of people here that love you and would want to help. So don't loose sleep - we are here.:thumbs up:)

chico2
March 31st, 2009, 05:07 PM
Awww BenMax,that so nice of you to say:grouphug:
Rocky is 13yrs old,Chico 12yrs and chubby Vinnie 7yrs old,hopefully I'll outlive them:fingerscr:cat:

14+kitties
March 31st, 2009, 05:32 PM
I think of that often,since I am way up there in age:sad:
I know hubby would care for them,or I would haunt him:laughing:but he'd have to learn to do the litter.
If he could not for any reason care for them and we really don't have anyone else who could take them,I told him to come on Pets.ca;)
Vinnie would probably be easy to place,Chico maybe too,but Rocky would be in trouble,nobody knows and understands him like I do.
But I hope I have another 10yrs and I don't have leave my babies behind,but you never know:sad:
BenMax,please take a pic of this little boy,I would love to see him as well as your other beautiful kitties!

Chico - I would take Rocky in a heartbeat! You have no fears. But you are only a young woman yet!! No fear of you going any time soon. Don't even think that way! 65 is today's 45 (or something like that). You aren't going anywhere. So there! You've been told!!! :rolleyes:

chico2
March 31st, 2009, 05:49 PM
14+,you don't know what you would be asking for:laughing:I love him to bits,he is my very special kitty,we've had our problems,but he's so smart it's scary and very,very loving,except for those little attack-episodes:laughing:
Ooops:offtopic:

14+kitties
March 31st, 2009, 05:56 PM
14+,you don't know what you would be asking for:laughing:I love him to bits,he is my very special kitty,we've had our problems,but he's so smart it's scary and very,very loving,except for those little attack-episodes:laughing:
Ooops:offtopic:

Yep, we are off topic. Sorry.
chico - Rocky is a very special kitty. They all are. :cloud9: I watch my guys figure out how to get toys out of places that they should never have been able to get them into and wonder every day. They are all very intelligent.
But like I said, you aren't going anywhere!! :p

ownedbycats
March 31st, 2009, 07:30 PM
BenMax, you have Farrah in the room to let him get used to other cats. Try brushing and petting her while he is watching. I know my cats learn by watching each other. THey sit there and watch one cat do something and then the others will try it. Seeing you actually touching her, and her enjoying it, might relax him a bit more. (IF you ignore him at the same time that may help too. You aren't staring at him, which makes cats uncomfortable, and he may feel he can sneak closer to watch without having to interact yet.)

Love4himies
March 31st, 2009, 08:01 PM
That is true, ownedbycats, they do learn from others by watching others.

BenMax
April 1st, 2009, 09:33 AM
Progress, progress, progress...I am so excited. Yesterday I sat down and read to him as Jim had advised. After 20-30 minutes he came out from under the bed and brushed up onto me. He purred like crazy. Farrah was beside me as well. He hissed alittle but nothing major - she does not react at all anyways. He started to talk to me so I started to brush him. Everything went very very well.

This morning he was under the bed.....and so was Farrah. Once she came out to see me, so did he.....all the while talking.

Thank you all for all your help. :thumbs up

Love4himies
April 1st, 2009, 09:48 AM
OMG, YAY. I do find that is a great way to get their trust :thumbs up. I used Jim's advice for some semi-feral kittens I was fostering last year and it worked great.

So now do we get some pictures? :yell: :D Please.:o

BenMax
April 1st, 2009, 09:56 AM
Thank you L4H. I am thrilled. He actually is a sweet cat. I must get him shaved though.....yukky pooh-dragged stains on my carpet.:yuck:. Nothing a carpet cleaner can't handle - no biggie.

I did take pictures but my camera is crappy. The flash would not work well.

I can post maybe one of the best pics (though not good)....if someone can post it for me??:o

ancientgirl
April 1st, 2009, 10:09 AM
Oooh pictures! He sounds like a sweetie. Maybe Farrah can be his buddy.

If you want email me the pictures and I can post them for you, is that what you need?

here's my email. wickedcats@yahoo.com

Love4himies
April 1st, 2009, 10:15 AM
Thank you L4H. I am thrilled. He actually is a sweet cat. I must get him shaved though.....yukky pooh-dragged stains on my carpet.:yuck:. Nothing a carpet cleaner can't handle - no biggie.

I did take pictures but my camera is crappy. The flash would not work well.

I can post maybe one of the best pics (though not good)....if someone can post it for me??:o

Aww poor baby is getting poos stuck to his fur??? Puddles and Jasper have that problem (Puddles more so) so I have to keep the fur trimmed back there :o. Puddles will actually come to us and show us her bum when she needs cleaning :laughing:. We are well trained servants :o

Jim Hall
April 1st, 2009, 10:16 AM
well that didnt take long a special pet for farrah for being such a nice soul

BenMax
April 1st, 2009, 10:45 AM
well that didnt take long a special pet for farrah for being such a nice soul

Farrah is definately going to get extra hugs. She helps me so much with all foster cats. I will post pictures of her as well.

Thanks Jim for a great suggestion - it worked! And thank you to everyone how mentored me through this...I was getting worried.

catlover2
April 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM
Fantastic news! That wonderful "Farrah" is certainly a superb "cat whisperer". I'll have to remember the Jim Hall's "reading suggestion"---what a great idea! :lightbulb: Thank you so much, BenMax, for fostering this lovely senior Persian boy and saving him from who knows what kind of fate? You're an :angel: :angel2: Can't wait to see the photos of "Farrah" and your boy.

BenMax
April 1st, 2009, 04:08 PM
Fantastic news! That wonderful "Farrah" is certainly a superb "cat whisperer". I'll have to remember the Jim Hall's "reading suggestion"---what a great idea! :lightbulb: Thank you so much, BenMax, for fostering this lovely senior Persian boy and saving him from who knows what kind of fate? You're an :angel: :angel2: Can't wait to see the photos of "Farrah" and your boy.

I am going to get better pictures of him tonight as the ones from yesterday did him no justice. In the meantime catlover2 - if you know anyone who would be interested in this cat, please let me know. You may know more people than I who would take him. He is declawed in the front and sterilized. Anyways - when you see the pictures maybe you can help me identify as to what he is. All I know is that he is gorgeous and a purr machine....who would have thought!:)

chico2
April 1st, 2009, 04:49 PM
BenMax,that's great news,he's starting to trust you:lovestruck:
When he gets adopted,it will probably start all over again,I hope the adopters will be as patient as you:fingerscr

Love4himies
April 2nd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Ummmmm Pics??? :frustrated: :D

BenMax
April 2nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
Ummmmm Pics??? :frustrated: :D

I know but the pictures are terrible. My camera is crappy but I suppose I could post them anyways.:shrug:. I tried again last night to take pictures but I have a tempermental camera - sorry.:sad:

Love4himies
April 2nd, 2009, 01:09 PM
You know us, crappy pics are better than no pics :D

BenMax
April 2nd, 2009, 01:17 PM
You know us, crappy pics are better than no pics :D

You are so right. Ok I will send them to you to attach???:)

Love4himies
April 2nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
OK, do you still have my work e-mail?

Chris21711
April 2nd, 2009, 01:28 PM
I've been following this thread and of course as usual had no advice :sad:

So happy to hear that things are turning around :thumbs up

Chico - you ain't going anywhere, 'cos then I will be the oldest and me no like :)

chico2
April 2nd, 2009, 05:18 PM
Chris:laughing::laughing:
L4H,hurry with those pics ok:frustrated:

ancientgirl
April 2nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
Hey, I thought they would be up already.:p

Love4himies
April 3rd, 2009, 08:10 AM
I am so sorry, I didn't check my e-mail at home last night. I was so busy with Rose that computer time had to take second fiddle. :o

chico2
April 3rd, 2009, 08:20 AM
No worry L4H,kitty-duties comes first:cat:

BenMax
April 3rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
So sorry - they are coming. :o

DougG
April 11th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Benmax, any updates? How's he doing now? And where are those pictures? ;)

I missed this thread until now - sorry I hadn't seen it sooner. I just took the time to read it through - nice to know he's been coming around. For what it's worth, here's my experience with my three Himalayans, who were adopted as young adults (sorry if this is longish):

Kobi (male Seal Point): Was very stressed in the carrier on the way home from Ottawa to where I live in the lower Laurentiens. Panting, scratching at the back of the carrier, meowing constantly. Finally when we got home I put the box on the floor in the kitchen, and closed the kitchen doors. I opened the carrier door and sat on the floor against the wall, and watched to see what he would do. Five minutes later he poked his head out, marched straight over to me, climbed in my lap purring and purring - I sat there for half an hour with tears in my eyes while he curled up and dozed. I just wasn't expecting him to be so forthright. I soon let him out of the kitchen and he explored the whole house and moved right in without skipping a beat.

Molly (female tortie point): Adopted from the same cattery in Ottawa where Kobi came from. Was okay in the car, pretty quiet. Got her in the house and let her out of the carrier, watching her interaction with Kobi very carefully - they were fine right away. She curled up under a table in the livingroom and slept... and the next morning I couldn't find her. Finally after some searching I found her under the sofa in the playroom downstairs. Way back, near the wall. She stayed there for about a week, only coming out once in a while to eat and use her litterbox. Suddenly one day she just marched upstairs and made herself right at home like she'd been here all along.

Silky (female blue-cream point): Again, from the same cattery as Kobi and Molly. Fine in the car. Got her in the house and let her out of the carrier to let her explore, and of course I watched her like a hawk as she met Kobi and Molly. None of them were agitated, there was no behaviour that worried me - just a lot of curiosity. But Silky soon went into hiding as Molly had done, and I found her under a chair in the livingroom. After a couple of days she emerged.

Looking at my three, it seems your Persian reacted similarly to my Molly and Silky. They both sought out a sheltered hiding place for a while, and couldn't be coaxed out. Adjusting and eventually emerging had to be on their terms, and it would only be when they were good and ready.

Diamondsmum
April 12th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Benmax I wanna see pics :D please

I hope all is well with him .

BenMax
April 14th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Thank you DougG for some insight. This is very helpful.

I am sorry that I do not have pictures but Riza was admitted to the hospital early last week. He got ill and obviously his immune system went down probably due to the stress.

He is fine now but will remain in the hospital until he is 100% better.

Sorry I did not let anyone know but I wanted to ensure that he was ok. I had him tested to the hilt and he is free of any disease thank dawg.

Once he is back home with me, I will forward pictures.

Thank you to all.

Love4himies
April 14th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Oh, poor little Riza. Himalayans and Persians are just so timid that they don't do well under stress. I know a himalayan who will get runny eyes with just a bit of stress. (hence why I keep Puddles and :evil: Sweet Pea separated for the most part)

I hope he recovers quickly. :pray:

BenMax
April 14th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks L4H. Maybe I should change the thread to read: Foster mom not too happy...:sad:

ancientgirl
April 14th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Poor little guy. At least you know he doesn't have anything that's untreatable.

I hope he gets better soon!:pray:

BenMax
May 4th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Just a little update on my foster boy.

I picked him up from the vet last week. He is doing very well though he is a little matted which I am trying to gently work out. He has been kept segregated in my daughter's room however it has given us both time to bond without the interuptions from any other feline or canine influence.

He is a total purr machine. He now trusts me and loves his time of brushing and pampering. He really has improved on a trust level and we are getting along just famously.

Yesterday I decided to let him out on his own (with supervision of course) and he did great. Of course he already knew Farrah so there was no problem there. Phoenix really could not be bothered and surprisingly Riley was fine with him as well. Of course Blu had to be all pissy - but Riza handled himself very well. He knew I was there to get him out of an uncomfortable situation. Such a doll.

So I have asked DM to post some pictures of my foster boy basking in the window, soaking up the rays. Hopefully he will have a family of his own soon, where he can be the one and only.

Diamondsmum
May 4th, 2009, 01:28 PM
here he is :cloud9:

What a beauty

ancientgirl
May 4th, 2009, 01:34 PM
He's such a handsome boy! What beautiful coppery eyes! Such a shame someone let him get so matted.

BenMax
May 4th, 2009, 01:39 PM
He's such a handsome boy! What beautiful coppery eyes! Such a shame someone let him get so matted.

It was the vet that let him get matted. He was perfect before.:sad:

ancientgirl
May 4th, 2009, 01:41 PM
WTH? It boggles my mind how people who are supposed to be helping animals in distress, cause more harm to them sometimes.:frustrated:

BenMax
May 4th, 2009, 01:49 PM
WTH? It boggles my mind how people who are supposed to be helping animals in distress, cause more harm to them sometimes.:frustrated:

I am guessing that they don't really have time to vet so many animals and therefore something had to be compromised.

Anyways - no harm. I am thinking of getting him shaved anyways. He may be more comfortable sporting a new do.

So he is now ready to find a forever home. It will be sad to see him go since we have gotten very close. (then again, I get close to them all).

ancientgirl
May 4th, 2009, 01:53 PM
If he's really matted, shaving might be the best option. I can't imagine it's fun laying there and letting someone comb out your entire body when it's matted.

BenMax
May 4th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I do a little at a time but there is just so many. I have worked out most but I really think he needs to get a little 'air'. Saturday I will take both him and Farrah for a summer do. Farrah prefers no hair anyways. At the same time she can re-assure him everything will be ok.

ancientgirl
May 4th, 2009, 02:20 PM
If he's shaved a bit, then at least he will feel better, and his hair can grow back all nice.

chico2
May 4th, 2009, 04:59 PM
BenMax,I am so glad he's feeling more comfy,I kind of knew he would,how could he possibly resist your love:grouphug:
I am sure he'll be relieved getting rid of the hair,growing soft new hair.
Hopefully he won't mind the shaver:fingerscr

BenMax
May 5th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Thank you Chico2. I am very pleased with his progress. Last night was his first night out with the crew. He did very well and all cats seemed to settle in nicely. He does not even mind my foster dog so it increases is adoption possibilities.

The grooming will do him good as his coat is rather fine and does not seem healthy. Farrah will go with him for her grooming at the same time. Hopefully this will put him at ease.

Thank you all for your support during this process. It's the longest time I ever had trying to earn trust with a cat. Mission accomplished!:)

Jim Hall
May 5th, 2009, 12:54 PM
lol tookawhole month!!! thats speedy in the kitty universe great job

Love4himies
May 5th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Persians and Himmies are notorious for getting knots overnight, especially at this time of year so don't be too hard on the vets. When Puddles was on a cheaper diet, I had a hard time keeping up at this time of year and she gets brushed almost everyday.

Don't try to brush them, try to cut (you may need professional hair salon siscors) as much as you can, then brush the remainder.

BTW, since being on NV Instinct mixed with raw she has only had 2 knots so far this spring. In previous years, it was a knot a night.

Good luck.

BenMax
May 5th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I don't blame the vet at all. They have so many animals to treat so I understand it is not up to them to groom.

Anyways I think a lion cut will suit him just fine. I am so curious to see his actual size since he is a HUGE ball of fur.

bendyfoot
May 5th, 2009, 01:50 PM
he's absolutely gorgeous!

BenMax
May 5th, 2009, 02:18 PM
he's absolutely gorgeous!

Thank you Bendyfoot. His outside and insides matches.:lovestruck:.

Regardless, he will be difficult to place based on his age and perhaps that he is going to be high maintenance grooming wise. It really doesn't matter though - once a foster is here -they stay until adopted. So who knows that may be never which means he would just settle in with my gang.:)

ancientgirl
May 5th, 2009, 02:20 PM
BenMax your a beautiful soul.

BenMax
July 1st, 2009, 11:22 AM
Well we all love happy endings so I thought I would share with you what happened to Riza......

Riza was adopted!!! Oh yes indeed....I am but yet,,,,,a foster failure.

Reeses (for Reeses Pieces) was never wanted. No one applied for him so I decided that he is now part of our 'pack'.

As it turns out, Reeses has fit in very well. The pack has accepted him and he them. They all sleep together, play together and it is like he has been here forever. He even comes to see me in the morning by just standing on me, looking down as if to say - ok kid - time to get up.

We have a routine as well. Reeses needs 'his' time. His favourite thing is for me to sling him over my shoulder and just walk around. Every morning he sits on the bathroom vanity and watches me put on my make up. He talks sooooo much and every now and then he kisses my cheek. I am so very fond of him and he of me...........finally!

Reeses is an amazing boy. I am very fortunate to have him in my life and poohy on everyone who snubbed him because of his age. I have to tell you that he is not just a cat - he is almost human like - he's special.

So there you have it. Reeses is doing great and we are one happy family.

5 cats..............ok no more!!!:laughing: (yeah right!)

Chris21711
July 1st, 2009, 11:30 AM
Congrats Benmax, so glad to hear that it all worked out for him :thumbs up......hey what's one more :D

14+kitties
July 1st, 2009, 11:52 AM
BenMax, I am so happy you have finally reached the decision I figured you would make from the getgo. Reeses is one gorgeous and very lucky kitty!! You are lucky to have him too. :cloud9:
5 cats ... be careful!! I had 5 at one time..... :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
July 1st, 2009, 11:53 AM
Aww, congratulations! I'm so happy to see things have worked out so well. He deserves to spend his older years with someone who loves him and with other cats who will keep him company.

BenMax
July 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM
Thank you Chris, 14+ and AncientGirl. I am happy about it as well. We had so many cats come into rescue lately and my hand got forced a little. If I did not keep him, we would have had to say no to another cat needing help. So I decided what the heck. Everyone has settled in very well and really he is no trouble at all. If anything - he has brought me alot of joy.

I took him to be groomed and it made a very big difference for his self esteem. Once given a gorgeous lion cut he was out and about. I think he was feeling yukky.

So .... you knew I would keep Reeses 14+.... how did you know?

ancientgirl
July 1st, 2009, 12:10 PM
Thank you Chris, 14+ and AncientGirl. I am happy about it as well. We had so many cats come into rescue lately and my hand got forced a little. If I did not keep him, we would have had to say no to another cat needing help. So I decided what the heck. Everyone has settled in very well and really he is no trouble at all. If anything - he has brought me alot of joy.

I took him to be groomed and it made a very big difference for his self esteem. Once given a gorgeous lion cut he was out and about. I think he was feeling yukky.

So .... you knew I would keep Reeses 14+.... how did you know?

Poor guy, I bet all that matted fur was making him feel bad. Will we get a picture of Reeses in his new cut? :D

I have to say, I sometimes look around, when all my gang are together, like in the kitchen or in my room and I think, "Holy crap, I have 5 cats!!!!" But I say that smiling and knowing that were they not with me, they might be in the streets or in a home where they are not taken care of. So I tell myself, "5 cats isn't so much.":lovestruck: If I had a bigger place and could afford it, I'd make it an even 6.

14+kitties
July 1st, 2009, 12:11 PM
BenMax, almost from the very first you mentioned you could not be a foster failure. You put so much effort into trying to get this guy to trust you it was bound to happen. How can you not fall in love with an animal you have spent so much time with?

He was basically the same as working with a semi feral cat. You spend time with them getting them to trust you. You watch their every move and by doing so you become intune with them. You get to know what they are thinking by watching their eyes. Once you do all of that you are lost......... you are theirs. :shrug:

allfurlove
July 1st, 2009, 12:16 PM
What a wonderful ending :cloud9: It sounds like he's always been there!
I think celebratory pics are in order :lightbulb: lol Did he end up getting a haircut?

BenMax
July 1st, 2009, 12:16 PM
To be honest 14 + I really did not want to be a foster failure. I am not usually with dogs, but I am a huge sucker for cats. Really, they are less work, independant and self sufficient for the most part. The thought of having 5 was not what I planned. At one time I had 21 cats (due to working in the euthanasia room......bad place for an animal lover). It was CRAZY!!! I placed them all (except for my 4 and 4 that passed) but I promised myself never more than 4.

I guess I was convincing myself (and trying to convince Pets members) that I would not fail. How could I possibly come back on and say I was a foster failure if I said I did not want to be???

Anyways - it is what it is. I am a foster failure but I rather be known as foster WINNER! He is wonderful and I brag about him every chance I get. He had me at 'MEOW'.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

BenMax
July 1st, 2009, 12:31 PM
Anyways - I blame Jim Hall for this.:D:laughing:

Jim Hall
July 1st, 2009, 12:31 PM
ahh well see our just an old softie you are

14+kitties
July 1st, 2009, 12:34 PM
To be honest 14 + I really did not want to be a foster failure. I am not usually with dogs, but I am a huge sucker for cats. Really, they are less work, independant and self sufficient for the most part. The thought of having 5 was not what I planned. At one time I had 21 cats (due to working in the euthanasia room......bad place for an animal lover). It was CRAZY!!! I placed them all (except for my 4 and 4 that passed) but I promised myself never more than 4.

I guess I was convincing myself (and trying to convince Pets members) that I would not fail. How could I possibly come back on and say I was a foster failure if I said I did not want to be???

Anyways - it is what it is. I am a foster failure but I rather be known as foster WINNER! He is wonderful and I brag about him every chance I get. He had me at 'MEOW'.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I guess it's a darn good thing I don't work in a euthanasia room then! I would have more than the 28 I currently feed and house. :eek:
Yes, it would be nice to have a reasonable number of cats - 4 or 6 - but sometimes life just doesn't work that way. Then we take what life hands us. You were quite obviously handed Reese! :thumbs up

chico2
July 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM
Ben-Max,I had to look way back to see the pic,is Reese the grey Persian??
Either way,Reese is a lucky boy to get a great home:thumbs up

Frenchy
July 1st, 2009, 05:13 PM
Anyways - it is what it is. I am a foster failure

Welcome to the family BM :laughing: congratulation on your new addition :thumbs up

Love4himies
July 1st, 2009, 07:50 PM
Wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Benmax, I love you :lovestruck:.

Winston
July 1st, 2009, 08:35 PM
Benmax what a gorgeous boy! What no pics of the Lion Cut? Come on now! I need to see a pic of that! My mom used to have a Himmi named Tippy pure white like the commercials! she would get him shaved down into the lion cut and he would hide for days after! he was all pink underneath the white fur!

Congrats MF! :thumbs up actually Thank you for being another kitty angel! :thumbs up

Cindy

Tundra_Queen
July 1st, 2009, 10:55 PM
Oh I so glad! I was reading this starting from the beginnin again and was thinking...well if she can get him up here I would take him rather than have him go to a shelter. But I am so happy that he is going to stay with u as I was worried about him having to adjust to a new place all over again. *doing the happy dance* I'm so glad that everyone is getting along...THAT IS WONDERFUL!!!:grouphug:

Debbie

catlover2
July 1st, 2009, 11:58 PM
BenMax, you're an :angel2: You won Reese over and gained his trust, and he is well settled and comfortable with your other cats and his "new" mom. So glad you are able keep him. Kudos to you! :thumbs up

BenMax
July 2nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Thank you all for your stamp of approval. I just could not think of re-homing him to be honest. I think that he would be very confused and upset if he went somewhere else to start this whole process all over again. For a cat that is used to living alone with no other animals - he is doing GREAT! He hisses at my foster pup - but that's about it. He has intergrated very well - well above my expectations AND he LOVES ME!!!! I really adore this cat and even though you should not have favorites - he is mine. I love him to bits and he has enhanced my life with his funny antics and his innocence.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement, words of wisdom and advice. Everything worked out just the way it was suppose to.:thumbs up

chico2
July 2nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
BenMax,I just read all the posts right from the start and I think I realize Riza and Reese are the same kitty,so glad you decided he'd go nowhere else,I just love foster-failures:lovestruck:

Jim Hall
July 2nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
you big old softie you sometimes it meant to be karma fate the gods w/ever

mollywog
July 2nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
oh wow, I have just read this thread for the first time. Good for you, BenMax, for following your heart. plz can you post some "after makeover" shots of Reese???
Now you've REALLY got me thinking about 2 kittens... darn it! :evil:

BenMax
July 3rd, 2009, 08:07 AM
oh wow, I have just read this thread for the first time. Good for you, BenMax, for following your heart. plz can you post some "after makeover" shots of Reese???
Now you've REALLY got me thinking about 2 kittens... darn it! :evil:

If I can do it - you can do it!!! Really one more cat for me really did not make a big difference. It was the number 5 that scared me. Once I got over that -it was a no brainer!

So '5' is now my lucky number!

I will get some good pics of Reesey for sure and post. He is such a happy boy!

edwina
July 3rd, 2009, 09:14 AM
Yeah what's one more when you hit that number. :thumbs up :laughing:

chico2
July 3rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
BenMax,I am really happy for Reeses,wherever you go,Pet-Smart,HS and other places there are kitties needing homes,it's just heartbreaking,there are just too many.
My vet has the most beautiful muted orange kitty,a cuddly friendly boy.
He's declawed on all four paws:cry:but nobody wants to adopt him:cry:
It's very difficult to be a needy kitty these days,but beautiful Reese has a great home now,thank's BenMax:grouphug: