Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scary!

Luvmypitgirls
March 29th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Ok so yesterday, I plugged in my battery charger so I could charge some batteries for one of my cameras.
Once the batteries are charged it's supposed to turn itself off.
Well today, one of my dogs brushed up against the charger when going outside, and it fell to the floor. I noticed right away that one of the prongs were missing off of it and noticed it still in the outlet.
The charger was hot and the assembly for the prongs was somewhat melted.
On closer examination the faceplate for the outlet was also a bit melted looking.
Hubby grabbed some insulated pliers and pulled the prong out.
Several hours later, I noticed that the outlet was still hot, and could feel hot air coming from it. As it turns out when the charger shorted, it in turn shorted out the socket.
So we cut the power to it, and replaced the entire socket.

I don't know if it would've gotten hot enough to start a fire in the wall or not, but damn it's kind of scary to think that my house could've burnt down while my family slept. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight, it's already going on 3 AM, and I'm a bit paranoid about going to bed. I've checked the new socket about 6 times now, it's not hot and theres no hot air coming from it, but I'm still a little scared.

Hubby thinks the batteries were no good, therefore the charger didn't turn off like it's suppose to once the charge is complete.

I've been in two house fires in my life, the last one I lost everything including all the baby pictures of my boys. So I get nervous when stuff like this happens :sad:

angeldogs
March 29th, 2009, 09:36 AM
That would be very scary for someone who's been though a house fire(s) before.

ancientgirl
March 29th, 2009, 10:48 AM
That's very scary indeed! I'd contact the place that makes the battery charger and batteries. I would imagine it should all have turned off. That's very dangerous. I'm glad you got to that before something bad happened.

Love4himies
March 29th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Oh wow, that is so scary :eek:. Are you going to report this to the battery company?

Luvmypitgirls
March 29th, 2009, 12:27 PM
That's very scary indeed! I'd contact the place that makes the battery charger and batteries. I would imagine it should all have turned off. That's very dangerous. I'm glad you got to that before something bad happened.

Oh wow, that is so scary :eek:. Are you going to report this to the battery company?

Both products were made by Energizer, and I have emailed them, we'll see if we get a response.
I finally fell asleep around 5:30-6:00 this morning, on the couch. When hubby got up to let the hounds out at 10 this morning, Abby decided that I needed to be up too and woke me by shoving her tongue in my mouth:yuck:

ancientgirl
March 29th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hopefully they will own up and at the very least be extremely apologetic. Maybe even send you a new one.

rainbow
March 29th, 2009, 02:34 PM
:eek: OMG, what a scary situation :grouphug: ....I would still be shaking over it. :o

I would also contact Health Canada Product Safety ...

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/index-eng.php


and CBC Marketplace ...

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/about/contact/we_want_to_hear_from_you.html

RolandsMom
March 29th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Yikes.:eek: Thats scary. Electrical fires scare me! glad you found out before it started a fire!
I hope you hear from the battery company!!!