Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Earth Hour

rainbow
March 28th, 2009, 01:40 PM
How many of you are going to participate in Earth Hour tonight from 8:30pm to 9:30pm? We did last year and will be doing so again. :goodvibes:

BusterBoo
March 28th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Lights will be off......:thumbs up

RolandsMom
March 28th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I plan to. I just seem to forget when the time comes..maybe I will set my alarm!:lightbulb:

sugarcatmom
March 28th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I'm off to a friend's candle-light birthday party tonight, which should be fun. I love walking around the 'hood and seeing who else is participating.

Chris21711
March 28th, 2009, 05:04 PM
It falls right in the middle of the Leafs game :rolleyes:

**Go Leafs Go**

Winston
March 28th, 2009, 05:06 PM
We will be taking part again! I think its a great idea

Cindy

Luvmypitgirls
March 28th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I'm embarrassed to ask, because although I do participate in other environmental "good" things, I haven't participated in Earth Hour as of yet.
So is it just turn off the lights or turn off everything?
I can live without lights but the Sex in the City movie is on tonight, so to participate properly do I have to turn off my tv too?

Either way I will participate, I just want to do it right.:)

Dee-O-Gee
March 28th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Last year, I participated and will to tonight. Just so happens that both times, I've had the whole house to myself.

So off with the lights and TV. Last year, I played on my computer--with the battery backup :lightbulb:

rainbow
March 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM
It is supposed to be with all power turned off for the hour or using as little as absolutely necessary. :D

I know if a favourite show of mine was on I would likely watch it too but do so on the portable tv that doesn't use as much power. :o

Hubby and I are going to play cards with a Glade Essentail Oil candle that I got for free today. :thumbs up

Luvmypitgirls
March 28th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Ok, so all powered items will be turned off. I went and pulled out a bunch of candles, and the ole Scrabble game.
More than likely I'll just :sleepy: thru the hour, because I've spent most of the day workin' with the puppers.
Kato, has been pushin' the limits lately, so back to basics with him.

rainbow
March 28th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I hunted high and low for our Scrabble game but can't find it. :sad:

Rick C
March 28th, 2009, 08:11 PM
The Flames are playing . . . . . so sure, we'll turn out the lights but the TV will be on!!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

the gang
March 28th, 2009, 08:29 PM
we did but im back on, brenda and the pins

SIL
March 28th, 2009, 09:19 PM
We took part in Earth Hour too...the kids enjoyed staying up past their bedtime and having candles lighting the house.:D
It was disappointing to see that most of our neighbours didn't care :sad:

RolandsMom
March 28th, 2009, 11:32 PM
My friend phoned me in a timely manner to invite me out for drinks. they were on their way to the airport to go spend 5 days in Cancun :yell: (its just started snowing here AGAIN!). Considering I was sitting on my own in the dark, it was a good thing to do!!
Im also a little dissapointed that I saw so many lights on all over the city
:sad:

rainbow
March 29th, 2009, 12:58 AM
So hubby and I played crib and he beat me two games to one ....told him it was about time as I have been the one with the winning streak lately. :D

He wasn't impressed with the Glade candle though. :sad: I won't use his exact words but he said it smelled like a "cheap lady of the evening wearing too much perfume". :rolleyes:

Luvmypitgirls
March 29th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I hunted high and low for our Scrabble game but can't find it. :sad:

I'd send ya mine, but I doubt it would get there in time:sad:

Luvmypitgirls
March 29th, 2009, 01:42 AM
The Flames are playing . . . . . so sure, we'll turn out the lights but the TV will be on!!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

So Rick....did they lose again?

Luvmypitgirls
March 29th, 2009, 01:44 AM
My friend phoned me in a timely manner to invite me out for drinks. they were on their way to the airport to go spend 5 days in Cancun :yell: (its just started snowing here AGAIN!). Considering I was sitting on my own in the dark, it was a good thing to do!!
Im also a little dissapointed that I saw so many lights on all over the city

RolandsMom, I just realized you were in Calgary! Looks like another blast of winter eh? Will this never end?:frustrated:

We turned everything off for Earth Hour, sadly my neighbors houses were all lit up. Heck one neighbor still has her Christmas lights up and they were turned on....

I wonder how Calgary faired this year, last year they spiked in power usage during Earth Hour, I'm sure Airdrie did this year too, not to many houses were dark unfortunately.

rainbow
March 29th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I'd send ya mine, but I doubt it would get there in time:sad:

I think if I want to find mine, I am going to have to start unpacking the umpteen boxes that have been sitting in the basement since we moved here over 10 yr ago. :o

So Rick....did they lose again?

I *think* Calgary won 3 to 2. :shrug:

We turned everything off for Earth Hour, sadly my neighbors houses were all lit up. Heck one neighbor still has her Christmas lights up and they were turned on....

From the few neighbours that I could see, none of them had their lights turned off either. :frustrated:

I wonder how Calgary faired this year, last year they spiked in power usage during Earth Hour, I'm sure Airdrie did this year too, not to many houses were dark unfortunately.

This year Castlegar challenged the two closest towns of Trail and Nelson ....I think Nelson will win as they have the most "green" population. :o

RolandsMom
March 29th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Luvmypitgirls we are buried here AGAIN. I dont know how much snow you got in Airdrie, but probably about the same. arg. Ive had enough. They did tell me March is always the worst though. I am just thankful that its not -30 anymore.

Luvmypitgirls
March 29th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Luvmypitgirls we are buried here AGAIN. I dont know how much snow you got in Airdrie, but probably about the same. arg. Ive had enough. They did tell me March is always the worst though. I am just thankful that its not -30 anymore.

We got buried here in Airdrie too RolandsMom, I'm estimating but I bet it's nothing fewer than 20cms! At least it's fairly light, not like that snowstorm last week where it was heavy and wet.

Rainbow, my goodness, there's something we have in common, we moved into this house just over ten years ago too, and I still have a crawlspace full of unpacked boxes. I started going thru some a few weeks ago while starting my Spring purge, but gave up after 4-5 boxes. God knows what treasures are down there that I've forgotten about.:o

rainbow
March 29th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Big hugs to you both for the dump of snow. :grouphug:

Rainbow, my goodness, there's something we have in common, we moved into this house just over ten years ago too, and I still have a crawlspace full of unpacked boxes. I started going thru some a few weeks ago while starting my Spring purge, but gave up after 4-5 boxes. God knows what treasures are down there that I've forgotten about.:o

LOL .....and I think that Hazel and Chris would fit in too. :D

rainbow
March 29th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Here is this years results ....

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2009/03/24/f-earth-hour.html

RolandsMom
March 29th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Where are the actual results though? I didnt find anything except the news article:confused: am I missing something?