Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ABC Nightline Special on Puppy Mills - 3/27/09!

CClover
March 27th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Please pass this one to everyone you may know. This needs to be stopped. There are enough homeless animals in the world that already need homes we should not be making more.

This Friday night, March 27, 11:35 pm (Eastern Standard Time).

ABC's Nightline will be investigating puppy mills! ABC Correspondent Sharyn Alfonsi and investigators from Nightline travel
the byways and back roads of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania - visiting numerous puppy mills and filming Main Line Animal Rescue's volunteers as
they rescue breeding dogs and puppies from Lancaster County's notorious Amish commercial breeding facilities.

This promises to be a very special program. If you are involved in rescue, advocate on behalf of the millions of puppy mill dogs interned in
our nation's commercial dog breeding facilities, or if you just simply love animals, you will not want to miss this.

Sharyn Alfonsi interviewed, on camera, an Amish breeder while touring his facility - a first for network television. With approximately 500 dogs
housed on his property, this commercial breeder speaks openly about an industry cloaked in secrecy and suspicion - the cruel factory farming of
man's best friend.

PLEASE tell your friends, your family, your coworkers - ABC Nightline investigates puppy mills - this Friday at 11:35 pm (Eastern Standard Time).

Please take the time to forward this to all the rescues, shelters, and legislators in your area.

It has been almost one year since Oprah's puppy mill show aired. That program received the highest viewer response of any Oprah Show in years.
Now we need to spread the word about this very special Nightline. Only by educating as many people as we can, will we be able to help these
animals. And after you watch the program, please don't hesitate to contact ABC and Nightline to thank them for casting such a strong light
on the plight of our nation's puppy mill dogs.

Bill Smith
Main Line Animal Rescue

Friday's airing of Nightline's investigation of puppy mills is subject to breaking news. If for any reason it is not shown, it will air the
beginning of next week. Please check listings for your time zone.

cell
March 29th, 2009, 07:58 PM
So did anyone end up watching this? I found it online (I think) it was only 7 minutes long and really no new information unfortunately.
The footage from the Amish breeders farm that allowed them in, was definitely not the worst commercial breeding farm they could have shown. Although some of the guys reasoning was a bit off they could have shown much worst places to really hammer the message home. The places they showed on Oprah were the real deal scum puppy mills where this guy had them in a heated warehouse in larger kennels and the grating was covered, waste disposal system, tapped water supply, access to flooring etc. I'm not justifying or saying it's "good" just saying probably about as good as you can get for this type of facility. I suppose he could have prepared for their arrival but if the place was really really bad they would never be able to clean it.
Maybe I was just expecting more shock and awe....
Did anyone else see it? was it actually only 7 min long or did I miss out on some?

BusterBoo
March 29th, 2009, 08:27 PM
:sorry: didn't see it.....

I think the reference to Oprah's show kinda over shadows any other show. Oprah has the $$$ to advertise her shows and anyone who watches TV would see the she was having a special on puppy mills :shrug:

CClover
March 29th, 2009, 10:30 PM
It was 7 minutes or so and it wasn't that bad.But the guy also said that if the new law is adopted his ''instalations'' will be ok, meaning it will still be ok to have so many dogs in good or bad shape to sell.Just a bit cleaner!:frustrated:

ancientgirl
March 30th, 2009, 09:02 AM
:sorry: didn't see it.....

I think the reference to Oprah's show kinda over shadows any other show. Oprah has the $$$ to advertise her shows and anyone who watches TV would see the she was having a special on puppy mills :shrug:

I didn't see this either. I agree though, Ophrah has the money and the following to really get the message out there more.

CClover, the laws need so much overhauling. If an animal has food, water and shelter then the authorities look away. To them that's enough, which I will never understand.