Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vitamin D and cancer

Dog Dancer
March 27th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Okay, so recently my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer (she's 77 and has smoked forever). Since that diagnosis the doctors have discovered she also has a blocked artery that needs bypass surgery before they can do the cancer surgery. Not what we were expecting to hear. Anyhow, the prognosis seems to be good at this point - time alone will tell. BUT my question is this. A friend who is very into health food things said she should start taking 4000 units of Vitamin D every day because it's a big cancer fighter. Anybody heard of this? Is this a good idea? I would suggest to her that she talk to her Dr. before she does it, but wondered what you guys thought before I suggest it to her. Tks.

Chris21711
March 27th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I have no idea about the Vitamin D Dog Dancer, I do know it is quite essential to the overall health of a person.

Just wanted to say that I pray for a good outcome for your Mother :pray:

Dog Dancer
March 27th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Thank you Chris, I'm trying not to worry about her too much, but I am bothered by two invasive surgeries now.

Chris21711
March 27th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I would be very worried too, try to think positive though :grouphug:

Dog Dancer
March 27th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks again Chris. I lost my Father when I was 15 (many years ago) so my Mom is very important to me to say the least. She's strong though. I don't want to bother her with suggesting Vitamin D if it's just a myth that it will help with the cancer though so thought I'd ask here if anybody else knew about that. I'd appreciate any input - but the hug is also appreciated!

free
March 27th, 2009, 01:43 PM
dog dancer sorry to hear about your mom. vitamin d is used for a whole range of things.
just on my trusty webmd site and they said the upper limit is 2000iu per day but ask your doctor first cause it can interfere with other meds

Mat&Murph
March 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I am very sorry to hear about your mom. what a scary thing to have to face at this point in her life :grouphug: to you both!!!!! I have heard great things about V D but I would talk to her doc first befor taking it.

Again :grouphug: And I will be sending good thoughts your way

Dog Dancer
March 27th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Thank you all for your possitive vibes and support and hugs. It's all very much appreciated. I have heard about the value of Vitamin D, so wanted to run it by here, people have such a vast wealth of knowledge. The 2000 units is interesting. I would DEFINITELY tell her to ask her doctor before she starts taking anything. I know how even non-prescription things can react with other drugs. So I guess based on this I'll tell her that you are all pulling for her and that she should at least ask her Dr. about adding the Vit. D supplement. (Somehow can't put in VD in the same sentence about my mom:laughing:) Thanks again, I really appreciate your good wishes.

joeysmama
March 27th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I'm a cancer survivor. Vitamin D is considered "the big guns". Vitamin C is also your friend. Lots of green leafy vegetables. I think that you need to do whatever you can to live the healthiest possible lifestyle, especially if you have to have treatments. You want to be as strong as possible for that.

All the best to your mom. My friends MIL just survived cancer in her 80's after they gave her only 6 months to live.

hazelrunpack
March 27th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Best wishes to your Mom, DD :goodvibes: No advice to offer but I wanted to let you know that you'll both be in my thoughts and prayers.

Dog Dancer
March 27th, 2009, 11:46 PM
joeysmama - congratulations to you on being a survivor. I'm sure it takes a very strong person. My father died of Leukemia so many years ago, I'm sure if he had it today they could probably have cured him. But my mom is strong and she's going to fight this. So I will tell her to go ahead and ask her doctor about the Vitamin D and C - the veggies I'm sure are okay.

HRP thanks for the good vibes and prayers. I really don't know when all this stuff is set to happen, it will be a couple weeks I'm guessing before the heart surgery, and then six weeks before the cancer surgery. They still have to do some tests to make sure the cancer is nowhere else in her body before they start the cancer surgery though. They know it hasn't grown inthe past two months and it's not gone to her brain, so that's good.

We're staying upbeat. It would be much easier though if I lived closer to her. She's in Toronto and I'm in Vancouver. Fortunately my sister, who is two years older than I am, is in Toronto also and has been there with my mom and my mom's 2nd husband to all the Dr. appts. and such. And my sister and her husband are spoiling them with meals and lots of support. I just wish I was there. I will go out to see her, but not until the surgery is done. We'll see how the first one goes to decide if I go between or after the 2nd. Thanks again to all of you. You are all so great! I'll be sure to tell my mom when I talk to her tomorrow.

rainbow
March 28th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your mom. :grouphug:

What a difficult time for all of you :grouphug: and I hope all goes well with her surgery. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

This is what the B.C. Cancer Agency has to say about Vitamin D ....

http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/HPI/UnconventionalTherapies/VitaminDCholecalciferolCalcitriol.htm

Dog Dancer
March 28th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks Rainbow, I'm going to send that to her. I talked to her today, and she seems okay. Said she's definitely not thinking about dying. But she doesn't see why she should have the heart surgery when she doesn't feel bad at all. Her doctor had noticed the heart issue last year and said it would have to be addressed within a couple years, but she (mom) doesn't think it needs to be done now. She's more worried about the cancer. Her Drs will have to guide her there. I did mention the Vitamin D issue, and told her to talk to her surgeon before she does anything. She said she has some at home already but isn't taking any. Thanks again to all, I did tell her that you had all wished her well. She was very happy to hear that.

14+kitties
March 28th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Just sending lots of :pray::fingerscr:goodvibes: for your mom. I lost mine last year. :sad:

rainbow
March 28th, 2009, 07:14 PM
DogDancer, the doctors probably want her heart to be functioning 100% before they put her through the cancer treatment/surgery.

Big hugs to her and glad she has such an upbeat attitude .....that is a definite plus. :thumbs up

Bina
March 28th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I'm sorry to read this. I believe that at this time don't focus on too many supplements.
When going into heart surgery, the surgeons won't want any extra meds or supplements in her system.
Also, before OHS (open heart surgery) it is wise to have all dental work done, cleaning, fillings, etc. Her surgeon can adivse on this.
Will she have OHS?
Let me know if you have any questions about it, I went through it 3 years ago and I still belong to a cardiac support and information group.

Dog Dancer
March 30th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Thank you all for your support and replies. Rainbow, that's what we've all told her, including the surgeon, that the extra stress of the cancer surgery will require her heart to be functioning well. She will do what the Dr.s tell her to do though.

14+ so sorry about your mom, it's never easy to lose a parent.

Bina, thank you for your advice. I'll let her know what you've said. I don't have any info yet on what type of surgery she'll be getting she won't see the surgeon until April 9 I believe.

Thanks again to you all, your support is appreciated. It makes me feel better knowing so many people have gone through the same thing. :grouphug: to you all my cyber buddies.

BenMax
March 30th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Dog Dancer - I am sending big prayers and good wishes to you and of course your mom. Keep the faith and be positive.

Best to you in during this time. If you need to talk - you know where I am...:grouphug:

Love4himies
March 30th, 2009, 11:44 AM
So sorry to hear about your mom. Sending lots of :goodvibes: for a positive outcome for her. :grouphug:

Dog Dancer
March 30th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Thank you again all, for the possitive vibes and support. It really does mean a lot to me (and my mom). All advice is being made note of! We are all staying upbeat with this. She will survive as the song goes....

onster
March 30th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Just wanted to add to the prayers and well wishes for your mom (and you too!).

Stay strong!
:grouphug:

Myka
March 31st, 2009, 12:21 AM
My mom is a breast cancer survivor, and in all the cancer research you become privvy to, I've learned a lot about carcinogenic and "anti-carinogenic" practises, vitamins, and foods. An interesting fact is that 83% (I think that's the right number) of women with breast cancer are low in vitamin D, also hugely linked to multiple sclerosis. My mom is part of that number, as she was very low in vitamin D. My mom's oncologist suggested she take 2000 IU per day to get her levels up. I do believe she had to wait until after chemo to take vitamin D though because I think it interferes with the meds. She recently (a year later) has been retested for vitamin D and is still low, so has now been taking 3000 IU per day.

If you go on various health websites it is often recommended that people in northern climates (including all of Canada) take 1000-2000 IU per day as we do not receive enough sunlight way up here. I take 2000 IU per day for the last year or so, and have noticed a few obvious changes that I am quite sure are at least influenced by increasing my vitamin D intake.

HTH. =]

Dog Dancer
March 31st, 2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the info Myka. I'll certainly pass it all on to my mother. Congrats to your mom for being a survivor. I'm very proud of my son, he and his friends have been huge breast cancer fundraisers for several years going now. A friend of theirs is a survivor (she was only 25 when diagnosed) and it really woke them all up to the need for awareness and support.

Thanks Onster, it's all appreciated.

rainbow
April 26th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Dog Dancer, how is your mom doing? :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: