Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Raw Bones

Bailey_
March 27th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Hi all...

Just curious if anyone else gives their dogs Raw Bones? (I'm not interested in the Raw diet, but rather the actual frozen raw bones that can be purchased at petstores or straight from a local butcher.)

If so, what are your thoughts on them?

Chris21711
March 27th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I give them to our dogs a couple of times a week, I look for the ones with the most meat on. After a day I generally take them away before they start to dry out and chip off. I don't buy them in pet stores and stay away from the smaller sized ones.

My guys love them and it helps keep their teeth clean.

BenMax
March 27th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I was mentored by some great people last week about feeding raw and raw bones. Though I was very hesisitant, I did try. My dog absolutely loves it. There was no change in her 'movements' infact they are darker and smaller.

Dinner time is now fun for me and her.

aslan
March 27th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Bailey we feed our dogs raw bones too. We go to a chinese market and have 3 to 6 of the large beef ribs seperated from each other, lots of meat and keeps the dogs busy. They love them and no ill affects.:thumbs up

Bailey_
March 27th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks everyone!!! I appreciate the experiences. I just purchased some Bison raw bones for Bailey, but have avoided giving them to her yet - I was a bit concerned about the effects. I'll give them a go, and see what she thinks!! :)

Thanks again! :thumbs up

BenMax
March 27th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I am certainly no expert on this subject but I did try it and I do continue so very gingerly. All I can say is that I was expecting off bowl movements but I was surprised that it didn't really change much. I have been feeding raw now (every 2nd day) and she seems to really enjoy it (to my surprise). Her excitement is now mine.

The down side to the bones however was a bit of blood on the floor and watching her knaw at the bone which looks alittle gross.....:yuck:. But hey - she is having a ball.

Bailey_
March 27th, 2009, 04:13 PM
haha, Yeeeeaaaaaah - Bailey is currently eating the raw bone, which she seems to love. But, like you said BenMax, it looks disgusting. I was not expecting that! :yuck: :laughing: Big piece of white fat and chunks of blood.

:eek:

At least she loves it!!!

totallyhip
March 27th, 2009, 10:11 PM
We always gave our dog a raw recreational bone even before we started feeding raw. Usually he would get one once every 2 weeks just to clean his teeth!