Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anybody feed with techni-cal???

Dee-O-Gee
March 26th, 2009, 10:06 PM
All of our furbabies have been on a Royal Canin, Techni-Cal Lifestages diet (over 14 years) and for the second time in 2 years, we have come across moistened moldy kibble in the middle of the bags!

The 1st time was back in May of 2007 shortly after the pet food recall and I persisted with Royal Canin for an analysis.

They wrote back and claimed that the problem was caused by the fat and digest application system at the manufacturing facility. They further assured us "that the system has been modified to prevent this from reoccurring." It was a very rare and unusual occurrence and that I should not experience this again in the future." Low and behold this evening we did!

Is there anyone else here on the forum that feeds with the Techni-Cal Lifestages and if so, have you experienced a bad batch before?

I'm very concerned that we may have to switch brands. So far our little guys have never been sicken over their foods (Techni-Cal) and am very concerned about introducing a new brand.

Lissa
March 27th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Are you going to call them with the batch number and have them investigate again?

I've been working at a pet store for a while now and I haven't had anybody return a bag a technical or heard anything from the reps. I have had plenty of other bags returned, including premium brands made by natura pet, well pet etc...

Virtually any commercial kibble has the potential to "go bad" - from the manufacturer to delivery to sitting in a pet store, a lot can happen.

Technical doesn't have the best ingredient list so I would be keen on switching. Of course given that they have been on this food for years, it would likely have to be done slowly but in my experience most dogs make the transition easily.

Gail P
March 27th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Several years ago when we had great danes we used to feed the Royal Canin giant breed formula. A couple of different Dane people had recommended it to us and the dogs did well on it for several years. Then we got some bad food. One bag seemed "off" as soon as I opened it, it looked darker and moister, kind of greasy looking. I asked the store about it and got some kind of odd reply about how it probably just got too much oil in it or something like that. That didn't really sit well with me, but the dogs didn't seem to be put off by the food so we fed it. Near the bottom of the bag it was moldy. I took it back and they sent what was left back to the company and replaced the bag. It was also moldy. I can't remember now if it was just the two bags (both probably from the same batch), or another one or more as well. We stopped feeding it. The story we were told about the molding was that the other formulas were all okay but because the giant breed formula is formed into such huge kibble, in the high humidity they weren't drying as well as they should. :shrug: Anyhow, we switched off of it.

Dee-O-Gee
March 27th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Are you going to call them with the batch number and have them investigate again?

I've been working at a pet store for a while now and I haven't had anybody return a bag a technical or heard anything from the reps. I have had plenty of other bags returned, including premium brands made by natura pet, well pet etc...

Virtually any commercial kibble has the potential to "go bad" - from the manufacturer to delivery to sitting in a pet store, a lot can happen.

Technical doesn't have the best ingredient list so I would be keen on switching. Of course given that they have been on this food for years, it would likely have to be done slowly but in my experience most dogs make the transition easily.

Thanks Lissa for your insights :thumbs up

I spent the better part of last evening comprising and sending an e-mail. Fortunately, I had the letter still on file from 2007 :lightbulb:

My husband took the bad bag back to the point of purchase today and they very happy to replace the bag.

I am truly unhappy with this experience and I am VERY serious about switching to a new food but am unfamiliar with other brands to blend into the Techni-cal diet :shrug:

Any suggestions :frustrated:

rainbow
March 28th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I would switch them to a grain free kibble. I like Orijen and Acana Provincial the best .....they are both made in Canada by the same company at their own manufacturing plant ( www.championpetfoods.com ).

Dee-O-Gee
March 28th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I would switch them to a grain free kibble. I like Orijen and Acana Provincial the best .....they are both made in Canada by the same company at their own manufacturing plant ( www.championpetfoods.com ).

Thanks Rainbow. So the best ideal would be to mix in a new brand with the current techni-cal? I've heard a lot of compliments with the Orijen so I may look into this as a new brand. :thumbs up