Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ridiculous amount of miaowing

mgw
March 26th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Hi, I'm new here but i really need help. I've seen this question posted before but my situation isn't quite the same. I have a seven month old cat, not yet castrated, (he will be very soon) he's completely deaf and he miaows. Really miaows. He'll go to the other side of the house and scream. This is in the daytime and it's not caterwauling, the sound is different and it is loud. Really, really loud. Our neighbors up the hill can hear him even when their inside their own houses. I've tried ignoring it, i've tried spraying, i've tried distracting him. It doesn't work.
I really need some help with this as my parents have told me to get rid of the cat and i (after a lot of sobbing) gave it to one of my friends who already has a cat and was happy to take him. She now can keep him because the neighbors are complaining about the noise. I don't know what to do. He's been doing this since i got him at about three months.
Please if any one can think of anything i'd be so grateful.
Thank you

TacoGrl
March 26th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Welcome to the board :)

Unfortunately, there probably isn't much you can do about him being deaf (has a vet checked to make sure he is deaf and that it isn't some kind of infection?) and he will meow louder cuz he can't hear himself. He may feel more comfortable after he gets fixed which might quiet him down some...plus more interaction might help him feel more relaxed...there are operations you can do to remove vocal chords, but by gosh that would be a last resort and I consider it just as cruel as de-clawing, but if after EVERY option has been exhausted including giving him some time to settle in after he gets fixed and it is either that or re-homing again or even worse...