Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Names/websites of dog rescues in Toronto Area

diandpat
March 24th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Well, it seems that my sister is "ready" to add a furbaby to her household.

She had to send her sweet Keeper :rip: to the Bridge at the end of last summer at the ripe old age of 16 after he began having uncontrollable seizures.

I live in Montreal and know quite a few rescues in this area but I do not know where to send her in Toronto/Oakville area. I know there are many rescue people here who must know of rescues in that neck of the wood so if you could respond here, or pm me if it is more appropriate I would love to be able to help her in this quest.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

clm
March 24th, 2009, 01:30 PM
petfinder provides lists of shelters and rescues. I would start there.
Can't wait to hear about her new addition.

Cindy

BenMax
March 24th, 2009, 01:33 PM
What type of breed is she looking for? I can gear you to some Ontario rescues that I know are reputable.

LooneyBoone
March 24th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I'm involved with Toronto Humane and Mississauga Humane, both are good shelters. Mississauga Humane doesn't have a building so all of their animals are in foster homes so the dogs live in family environments instead of being kenneled with little human contact etc.

Those are the only ones I've ever been in contact though.

Petfinder is a great place to look for rescues but unfortunately they can't screen every rescue and there have been a few issues with faux rescues being on their and people have upsetting experiences have to trust your judgement, looking up any rescue that your friend is interested in (ex: google them) is also a good way to learn more about them.

Here's a link with several rescues/shelters listed on it
http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/onrescue.htm

BenMax
March 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Actually I heard good things about Mississauga Humane Society. I have never had any interaction with them but I do know that they step up to the plate when need be.

diandpat
March 24th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Thank you all for your help. this is why I LOVE this site!:thumbs up

I too recommend petfinder to friends here in Montreal because I am more familiar with rescues around here. I would not be able to help her with Toronto ones so that's why I came to the experts! lol

She is not breed specific necessarily but would like small or small/medium sized as she likes to do road trips and her pooch goes everywhere with her! She is not Hellbent on a puppy either but probably closer to 2-3 yrs old would suit her best.

I will steer her towards the Mississauga and Toronto Humane Society websites and also send her the petfinder link "under advisement" (which means I check back here about anything suspicious :rolleyes: )

I'll keep you all posted. So exciting to think of getting another dog in the family, albeit far away. My sis gives her dogs the life of Riley so it would be a good situation for everyone.

Thanks again :thumbs up

LooneyBoone
March 24th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Really a great bunch of people at Mississauga Humane. For a fairly new shelter with little funds they always try to help. The boyfriends mom is VP of MHS and the feral cat lady which she is slowly dragging me into it lol. I foster, cat sit, transport, and trap with them as well as at times take pictures.

THS is my paycheck and they too do alot of great things. Sure they get bad press sometimes but alot of the bad things that people told me about them I've found to be completely untrue. You can't please everyone I suppose.

Good luck to your friend!

chico2
March 24th, 2009, 05:32 PM
diandpat,if your sister lives here in the Oakville area,our HS is a great place to start,they too have wonderful people there.
I don't know what kind of dogs they have at the moment,but she can chck their website.www.oakvillehumane.ca
They have a beautiful German Sheperd only 2 1/2 yrs old,wonderful temperament etc...