Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What a miserable day and night!

ancientgirl
March 24th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Yesterday I left work at 2:30. I'd had this really weird thing happen with my vision on my right eye, and it really freaked me out. I can't explain it, it just was not right, and it lasted for over 15 minutes. My doctor told me to go to the emergency room, just to make sure it was nothing, which he thought it might be, but to go anyway.

OMG, I didn't get home until past Midnight!

I sat in the waiting area from 2:30 to 5:45. Then I sat in the actual emergency room, in a wheelchair for the rest of the evening. They did a :cat:Scan which came back normal. Ran some blood work, which came back normal, and then preceded to dilate my pupil to look in my eye, which they saw nothing abnormal. I had an anxiety attack while waiting in the room for the doctor to look in my eye, and was so close to just walking out!

I hadn't eaten since 8:00, and I kept thinking about my poor babies, who were home in the dark, hungry because they hadn't eaten since 6:00 am!

I finally left, the doctor said he didn't see anything wrong with me, and didn't think it was the pills I'm taking (lybrel) since I've only been on them a week and it's not much time to cause any side-effects. Still, I'm calling my GYN to ask her about it.

They wouldn't let me leave unless I had a ride, because of my dilated pupil, it happened to my right eye (of course my good eye:rolleyes:). I told them I called my brother, which I did. But, it was so late, and he lives far and I didn't want to make him drive so far. Plus, by the time he got there it would have been close to Midnight. So before I left the nurse asked me if I was waiting for my brother to pick me up. LOL, I said yes then she looked at me and said, "You're driving home aren't you?"

I fessed up and she begged me to be careful. I actually drove home fine. She said it would take 12-24 hours for my pupil to get back to normal. I can't depend on someone to drive me home, pick me up to go to work, then take me home again. Not if I can physically do it myself.

Anyway, I need to make an appointment to see my regular doctor, and I'll fill him in on everything then. I'm sure he'll give me a referral to see an ophthalmologist. I need to have my eyes checked anyway.

I really feel for those people that were in there in actual pain! Some of who had been there since morning!

14+kitties
March 24th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Emergency rooms are fun, aren't they? We are told here when you go in unless it is an absolute emergency, like you are dying, that it is at least a four hour wait. :eek:
Glad you made it home safely

ancientgirl
March 24th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I didn't want to go, and had it not been for my doctor's and my bosses insistence on going, I would not. But as I was driving there, I kept thinking about poor Natasha Richardson, and what happened to her. I thought, AG, just go and at least confirm nothing is abnormal.

14+kitties
March 24th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Yep, better safe than sorry.

BenMax
March 24th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Nothing like waiting for hours and worrying about your pets at home.

Yep - I waited for hours with a partially severed finger. Nope the bone exposed and all the finger fat, tendon and veins hanging out didn't make them rush to my side. The pain - well let's just say that I can control it until I am told that I need to wait for a few more hours...once the screaming started - they took me right away...:D

ancientgirl
March 24th, 2009, 01:35 PM
14+, my thoughts exactly.

BM, holy crap! That's just wrong. I felt terrible. There were people there that I'd seen when I came in, who had already been waiting in the waiting room for several hours. One guy had a broken foot, and they only just took him away to a room just before I left!

The worst part is, I went to a hospital with the best emergency room in the city. THAT is scary.

BenMax
March 24th, 2009, 01:37 PM
14+, my thoughts exactly.

BM, holy crap! That's just wrong. I felt terrible. There were people there that I'd seen when I came in, who had already been waiting in the waiting room for several hours. One guy had a broken foot, and they only just took him away to a room just before I left!

The worst part is, I went to a hospital with the best emergency room in the city. THAT is scary.

It was wrong since it was a squirrel that did the deed (don't ask). It was an experience I could have done without.

ancientgirl
March 24th, 2009, 02:38 PM
It was wrong since it was a squirrel that did the deed (don't ask). It was an experience I could have done without.

See, now I HAVE to know.

BenMax
March 24th, 2009, 02:49 PM
See, now I HAVE to know.

Ok, ok...I tried to help a squirrel that was hit by a car. His back end was crushed. As I tried, he got a hold of my finger and kept chomping down. Those teeth are like scissors. So I almost lost a finger but was able to get the little guy PTS without further misery. Kind of a stupid thing for me to do.

ancientgirl
March 24th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Ok, ok...I tried to help a squirrel that was hit by a car. His back end was crushed. As I tried, he got a hold of my finger and kept chomping down. Those teeth are like scissors. So I almost lost a finger but was able to get the little guy PTS without further misery. Kind of a stupid thing for me to do.

OMG, that poor little thing.:sad:

I suppose a stupid thing, but honorable.

RolandsMom
March 24th, 2009, 03:05 PM
yikes. that sucks. They really need to do something about the emergency room situation!
Hope you are all back to normal now!

ancientgirl
March 24th, 2009, 03:14 PM
RM, the really unbelievable thing is, when I was actually inside the ER, out of the 6 hours I was in there, I only saw them slammed with patients for about half an hour. Then people started to be taken to rooms, and it died down, yet it still took them at least another 5.5 to get me out of there.

And yes, thank you, no eye issues today. I'm hoping it was just one of those odd things that happen to us now and then.

CearaQC
March 24th, 2009, 03:36 PM
OMG I absolutely hate that pupil dilation bit.

It seemed like every time I went to the eye doctor as a kid, he was CONSTANTLY dilating BOTH my pupils. I was born with a slightly lazy left eye that only turns once in a while now that I'm an adult. And that eye doctor was convinced he could correct it some how but I just don't see how dilating pupils and awful eyeglasses was gonna fix an obvious muscle problem.

Anyhoo, glad you made it home safe. I know from experience how the pupil dilation makes you feel awkward for so long.

Next time, don't drive like that. Hire a cab or something. :2cents:

ancientgirl
March 24th, 2009, 03:47 PM
OMG I absolutely hate that pupil dilation bit.

It seemed like every time I went to the eye doctor as a kid, he was CONSTANTLY dilating BOTH my pupils. I was born with a slightly lazy left eye that only turns once in a while now that I'm an adult. And that eye doctor was convinced he could correct it some how but I just don't see how dilating pupils and awful eyeglasses was gonna fix an obvious muscle problem.

Anyhoo, glad you made it home safe. I know from experience how the pupil dilation makes you feel awkward for so long.

Next time, don't drive like that. Hire a cab or something. :2cents:

I was born with a lazy eye too, my left. I had surgery when I was 19 to straighten it, but that's about it. My vision in that eye is horrible. Every time I do an eye test they look at me like, how are you allowed to drive? I tell them, I don't drive with one eye! My right one does most of the work, which is why I freak out whenever something happens to that one.

I'm still seeing funny and can see the pupil is still slightly large. But it's not as bad as this morning.

I thought about getting a cab, but 1, I had no cash, and 2, the :censored:gave me a ticket! It seems I parked in the University parking.:rolleyes: I think if I'd left my car there it would have been towed.

Luvmypitgirls
March 24th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I have a lazy eye too, it gets worse the more tired I am.

Lately tho, I've been having issues with my right eye, (the lazy is the left), where I get this thing...the best way to describe it is, like looking from the inside of a small waterfall, it's the craziest thing!

I too went to the doctor, who sent me to the hospital, who referred me to an Optomitrist (sp?). They found nothing wrong, but it keeps happening, which is really bothersome especially when I'm driving.

It only lasts a few minutes but I wish they could tell me why it's happening, what causes it, because it drives me nuts!:frustrated:

ancientgirl
March 24th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I have a lazy eye too, it gets worse the more tired I am.

Lately tho, I've been having issues with my right eye, (the lazy is the left), where I get this thing...the best way to describe it is, like looking from the inside of a small waterfall, it's the craziest thing!

I too went to the doctor, who sent me to the hospital, who referred me to an Optomitrist (sp?). They found nothing wrong, but it keeps happening, which is really bothersome especially when I'm driving.

It only lasts a few minutes but I wish they could tell me why it's happening, what causes it, because it drives me nuts!:frustrated:

Oh geez, looks like the left eye isn't very much liked by nature. My left eye is my weakest by far. My fear has always been having a major problem with my right. Because I cannot function without it. My left eye is the one with all the vision issues.

My problem was like, imagine looking into a bright light, then turning away. That's how my right eye was for like 15 minutes. I totally freaked. Now I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor, and I'll take him the release papers the ER doc gave me. It suggests seeing an opthomologist, probably what you saw. An optometrist is mainly the guy you go to to get your glasses. I always get those two confused. Hopefully, whatever that episode i had was, will not happen again.

I hope you get your issue resolved soon too. Eye issues can drive one nuts. I had an issue about 4 years ago stemming from wearing hard contact lenses for over 20 years. The surface of my eye was scratched and my actual shape of my eye changed and became flatter. I spent over 3 months with vision that looked like I was looking out of a dirty window. I have starburst vision, but this made it worse and when I'd see a light it would have like a halo around it. I couldn't drive at night for a very long time, still have trouble seeing but it's not as bad as it was.

growler~GateKeeper
March 25th, 2009, 03:58 AM
I was born with a slightly lazy left eye that only turns once in a while now that I'm an adult.

I was born with a lazy eye too, my left.

I have a lazy eye too, it gets worse the more tired I am.......(the lazy is the left)

I also was born with a slightly lazy left eye, that also turns occasionally, worse when I'm tired. Very interesting all of ours is the left eye, must be something to that. My mum was born with lazy eye as well, hers was surgically straighten as it was more pronounced, she's always worn glasses.

I tried contacts once & couldn't stand having something put onto & taken off my eyes, wore glasses for years with obviously very little to no improvement in the vision in my left eye :rolleyes: I eventually just gave up wearing them unless I get eye strain/tension headache really bad, as my right compensates. I suppose I should have my eyes checked sometime too, as prescriptions do change over time :shrug:, thankfully I've not had any vision issues with my right eye (knock on wood).

Always bring a pair of shaded sunglasses when you go see the eye doctor, that way you avoid the weird looks from people who may be speculating on what kinda drugs you're on :laughing:

:goodvibes: AG I hope it was a one off nothing serious kinda thing :fingerscr

ancientgirl
March 25th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Growler, I think there indeed has to be something to this. I've never met so many people with lazy left eyes too! I have worn glasses from as far back as I remember. I recall having a pair from when I was like 3 or 4.

I had surgery at 19, and wore hard contact lenses for over 20 years. It took several weeks to get used to those hard lenses too, but once I did I really didn't feel them. 20 years of hard lenses, because I was told due to my astigmatism soft would not work for me.

I've thought about someday having lasik, but my fear is, what if something went wrong and my one good eye got messed up? If they messed up the left, it would stink, but I can really get by with just my right. But if my right was messed up, I'd be in a world of trouble. I could still see, but reading, driving, performing simple tasks then becomes nearly impossible.

I've been toying with getting soft lenses, because I have been able to wear them, but I've grown used to just wearing glasses. And I don't need the added expense of buying cleaner and soaking solution blah blah blah.

Hopefully, this was a one time thing.

Jim Hall
March 25th, 2009, 10:02 AM
its better today ? yoo still seeing the dr though i hope

ancientgirl
March 25th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Jim, yes thanks I'm better today. I am still seeing my doctor. I need to give him the release papers the ER doc gave me and I want to get his opinion on what he might think happened. I'll be seeing him hopefully next week.