Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

jumping on counters

demona26
March 23rd, 2009, 06:55 PM
Hello all. I'm new to the site so I'm not sure if there is already a thread...apologies if there is.
We've been having some challenges teaching our cat to stay off the kitchen counters. It seems that we've tried everything, and that nothing works - I'm at a loss. If anyone can provide additional suggestions it would be appreciated.
So far I've tried: spray bottle/squirt guns, bubble wrap, we grab his scruff and growl at him when we catch him or make hissing noises at him, and even left tabasco sauce out (he ate it). Not surprisingly, yelling "no" was the least effective :)

dmc123
March 23rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
I feel your pain. We did everything we knew with no luck. Finally tried SSScat....no more issues. It worked for us.

Find out more about it via this old thread....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50167&highlight=ssscat

or but at amazon.com or other sites....

Good luck,
Diane

demona26
March 23rd, 2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks Diane. I'm just worried that he get up on the hot stove when we're not looking. He ate 2 pieces of bacon off my hubby's BLT the other day when he went to get something from the basement, lol

TacoGrl
March 23rd, 2009, 07:46 PM
How old is he? Sometimes they grow out of it...having said that...sticky tape works and standing there while they do it and putting them on the ground works...they learn...mine did anyway...now they stand on their hinds and wave at me to hurry!

Brat
March 23rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
haha just as I clicked on this thread I heard a noise coming from my kitchen.

I had taken out the cats food can from the fridge so it could warm up a bit and sure enough, Angel was on the counter trying to get into the can. Don't let his name fool you. He's the BIGGEST brat out of the bunch. He's too smart for his own good and sooooo mischievous! :cat: I think I'm going to order the SSScat.

RolandsMom
March 23rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
I used a can of coins as an aversion instead of a spray bottle. they dont like the noise. Otherwise I just kept taking him off and said 'down' every time. I know that you probably already tried that though. I have a brat too and they do learn eventually :rolleyes:

rainbow
March 23rd, 2009, 10:23 PM
I trained my oldest cat (now 5 1/2 yr old) not to jump on the counter just by taking her off and firmly telling her "no". It probably took close to a month for her to "learn". :thumbs up

Now I wish that I hadn't taught her because we decided we wanted dogs in our life again and when the first arrived (in 2005) we had to feed the cat on the counter but she would not jump up. :rolleyes:

So now I either have to pick her up and put her on the counter or else she will jump on the kitchen table to get over to the windowsill, walk along it and then step onto the top of the microwave and then jump over to the counter. :rolleyes: :frustrated:

But, good luck.....I hope you find something that works. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

demona26
March 24th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Thanks to all. He is still young - only 8 months or so. I'm going to stay away from the coins, only because we have hardwood, but I hope it works for someone else. The most frustrating thing is that we also have a 12 year old cat who *never* jumped on counters before, but is now learning bad things from the smaller one, lol