Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Barrie Family Seeks Rottweiler Owner After 11-Year-Old Boy Attacked And Bitten

Diamondsmum
March 23rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
Barrie Family Seeks Rottweiler Owner After 11-Year-Old Boy Attacked And Bitten
Monday March 23, 2009
CityNews.ca Staff
Barrie Police are helping a family hunt for a Rottweiler and its owner after two young boys were bitten over the weekend.

Jesse Brittain, 11, claims he was attacked while riding a four wheeler with a friend near Molson Park.

Jesse and his friend were both treated in hospital and returned to class Monday morning. But with the bite mark and the pain that comes with it, Jesse's parents say the Rottweiler's owner has a responsibility to come forward.

The dog and its owner allegedly fled the scene after the attack.

"He wasn't even considerate enough to say, 'You know what, I'm really sorry,'" lamented Jesse's father, Wayne Brittain. "We're just a little worried that the dog's going to bite somebody else."

Jesse had to get six rabies shots and has to take medicine for the next week. The dog was apparently wearing a red spiked collar. The owner fled in a blue Honda Civic.

The Rottweiler was brown-black and was off its leash.

If you can help call Barrie Police at (705) 725-7025.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_33133.aspx << pics there

Diamondsmum
March 23rd, 2009, 07:09 PM
OHHH man.. I hope the owner comes forward... I know the kids pain I was attacked on my arms by a dog as well...

Mat&Murph
March 23rd, 2009, 07:52 PM
It is owners like that that give all other dog owners a bad name!!! :wall: Hope he comes forward

Blackdog22
March 23rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Why do people insist on making situations MUCH worse then they have to be?
I love my dogs dearly, but should something as serious as an unwarranted dog bite occur, I would be the first person concerned with the victims safety.......ESPECIALLY if it was a child. I do not get people anymore, WHY would you own an aggressive dog (or allow your dog to become aggressive) without being experienced and responsible. Do people not understand that these dogs are liablities?

I can't comprehend how someone could walk away from a bleeding child in any situation......but if you caused it? ARGH!! People are sick!

I hope this person gets charged with negligence as well as an array of other things.

Blackdog22
March 23rd, 2009, 08:30 PM
When I say "these dogs are liabilities" I do not mean one specific breed at all. I meant aggressive dogs in general

just to clarify ;)

Rottielover
March 23rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
Although I do not agree with any bite, this could have been prevented if the dog was leashed. Most dogs will go after something that was moving, prey vs chase drive. If this dog was indeed aggressive, this dog could have killed the boy.
Once again a big x marks the spot for this already deemed aggressive breed.
I hope the owner comes forward, the least he can do.
I have to say, this is the major reason Harley will never be off leash with kids, his prey/chase drive too high.

BenMax
March 24th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Of all places for this to happen why Ontario. This is going to cause another up roar and this breed will also face scrutiny. Friggen fantastic!

Hope the owner just comes forward. What can I say.

Melinda
March 24th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Ontario should just ban stupid owners.........I'll miss my neighbours and a few friends when they're forced to leave Ontario..............

Mat&Murph
March 24th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I agree BenMax!!! Poor Ontario dogs are already battleing!! They need to have stiricter laws on the owners not the dogs!!!! Poor Rotties will be the next on the chopping block. Really sad that idiots are ruining it for the rest of us

BenMax
March 24th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I agree BenMax!!! Poor Ontario dogs are already battleing!! They need to have stiricter laws on the owners not the dogs!!!! Poor Rotties will be the next on the chopping block. Really sad that idiots are ruining it for the rest of us

I have heard (in the underground) that the rotts were being questioned as to whether or not to add them to the breed ban in Ontario. An incident like this (with no explanation nor admitted responsibility of the owner) will absolutely cause further and future discussion within the governing bodies in Ontario.

Personally (this is my breed), I am very concerned. I have been assisting where I can with the pitties and AMSTAFS in Ontario and I am praying that this does not add the rotts to the list which will, BTW only get bigger. Heads up - the dog now being mass breed is the DDB. Look out!

Melinda
March 24th, 2009, 10:25 AM
*feeling really stupid here* whats a DDB? and in all honesty....rotti's were looked at to ban along with pitties, but like labs there are so many pure, mixed breeds and look a like breeds that the members of parliment that I've spoken to laugh and say that more than half of them would have to get rid of their dogs!! if you go to a dog gathering place in cornwall, you will notice at least 2/3rd of the dogs look to be part rotti or doberman...all black with brown markings...we jokingly call them the red hat ladies because we almost always have red collars on them.

BenMax
March 24th, 2009, 11:32 AM
*feeling really stupid here* whats a DDB? and in all honesty....rotti's were looked at to ban along with pitties, but like labs there are so many pure, mixed breeds and look a like breeds that the members of parliment that I've spoken to laugh and say that more than half of them would have to get rid of their dogs!! if you go to a dog gathering place in cornwall, you will notice at least 2/3rd of the dogs look to be part rotti or doberman...all black with brown markings...we jokingly call them the red hat ladies because we almost always have red collars on them.

Don't feel stupid at all, I should have not abbreviated - Dogue de Bordeau.

Melinda, what they say makes absolutely no sense at all. Pitties, just as rotties, boxers, american bulldog and any mastiff all have certain physical traits that can be interchangeable just by eye. The pittie, amstaff and anything resembling them were targeted. I have to show you the pictures of all the dogs that have been systematically killed by the Ontario government. Some were labs X, Boxer X, Bulldog X and even a chesapeake bay retriever. They are right one one thing though - if this ban continues to spread to other breeds, Ontario will be vacant of dogs and owners whom will fight to keep their dogs. The government makes absolutely no sense at all - and they are blindly destroying the lives of animals and people alike.

:offtopic: (but kinda on topic as well) - the pittie X that I pulled out of the poisonous arms of the government which sealed her fate was adopted....yesterday!!!

Love4himies
March 24th, 2009, 11:54 AM
So glad to hear, BenMax. :thumbs up

That poor child :grouphug:.

Melinda
March 24th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Don't feel stupid at all, I should have not abbreviated - Dogue de Bordeau.

Melinda, what they say makes absolutely no sense at all. Pitties, just as rotties, boxers, american bulldog and any mastiff all have certain physical traits that can be interchangeable just by eye. The pittie, amstaff and anything resembling them were targeted. I have to show you the pictures of all the dogs that have been systematically killed by the Ontario government. Some were labs X, Boxer X, Bulldog X and even a chesapeake bay retriever. They are right one one thing though - if this ban continues to spread to other breeds, Ontario will be vacant of dogs and owners whom will fight to keep their dogs. The government makes absolutely no sense at all - and they are blindly destroying the lives of animals and people alike.

:offtopic: (but kinda on topic as well) - the pittie X that I pulled out of the poisonous arms of the government which sealed her fate was adopted....yesterday!!!

ever notice Brina's eyes???............
yes, the laws are stupid, no doubt about it.....I'm grateful for our new manager at the spca.........

ancientgirl
March 24th, 2009, 12:24 PM
How unbelievably stupid of those owners.

That poor kid.

What gets me is now every person with a rottie will be the target of this investigation. Worse, the dog could pay for the owners irresponsibility. Both not having him/her on a leash and for not training him/her properly.

Mat&Murph
March 24th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Good news On the adoption BM. I know I keep watching the ban news myself. Sadly the people in the higher up will not look at the fact that this rotti owner is irresponsble (no leash, mybe no command and the fact that he fled the scene) they will just look at the breed! Very Very sad. My heart goes out to the boys and their families. Hopefully this won't be to scaring on them.