March 23rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
I am thinking on taking a 5 year old chihuahua, a 2 year old dalmation and a cat from Northern Ireland to California. I am willing to go through the stress and the hassle and the money, what do i have to do? how long will i be seperated from them?
Please and Thank you
March 23rd, 2009, 03:13 PM
Google both the Federal and California governments for info...forms...etc. Check with airlines for any restrictions.
Someone here may have gone through this before and may be of more help than I, but always best to check the agencies to make sure everything is as updated as possible...especially with this high security thing now. :fingerscr
March 26th, 2009, 06:37 PM
ok thanks for your input, anyone moved from one country to another with a dog-is it hard? are they taken away from you for long?
March 26th, 2009, 06:39 PM
There is a member here from California, maybe try pm'ing her (glasslass??)
March 26th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I pm'd her with a link to this thread.
March 27th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I know people who took their cats from Canada to Sweden without much issue. there are guidelines to read up on, you will likely need pet passports or vet certificates but I don't think you need to quarantine.
March 27th, 2009, 11:14 AM
duttypaws just moved her entire fur family(cats and dogs) from canada to england with no problems. I know another member here's dog is better traveled than most of us humans. I too would check the regulations with the airlines. If i'm not mistaken the biggest concern is the animals be up to date with their shots.
March 27th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I'm sorry, I've never taken my dogs out of California. Whenever we've traveled, we've gotten a housesitter to stay with them so they could remain comfortably at home. Consequently, I've never looked into the regulations. I concur with Aslan that all inoculations would need be current and all the proper documentation carried.
After the green of Ireland, California may be a bit of a shock. In what part of the state are you planning to live?
March 28th, 2009, 07:17 AM
so basically if their documentation is up to date they can come on the plane with me? (in the hold obviously) Yes, this was another thing i was worried about, now the move is at least a 18 months away yet. We plan to go to Burbank. Now i was wondering if we relocate during the winter would that give the animals time to fit in? Or would the heat still be too much?