Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nail Trimming and Shedding Tools - What's your fav?

Myka
March 23rd, 2009, 01:49 AM
I just have some scissor-type nail trimmers, and I think sometimes they pinch my dog a bit because she sometimes screams even when though I didn't hit the quick. She is a bit of a wuss though, she hates having her feet touched. She does stand well for it though as she is well trained. I'm just wondering if there's some new nail trimming tool out there that works better? What about those grinder type ones?

How about shedding tools? I've seen quite a few that supposedly decrease shedding...do they really work any better than an ordinary brush? I just use a round tipped human brush for my dog. She sheds like no other though! The hair coming off this dog is amazing! 365 days a year too! Her shedding doesn't seem to change with a brand of food either. Keep in mind this is a short-haired dog. :)

So, should I go buy some better nail trimming and shedding tools, or is it really all just the same?

Blackdog22
March 23rd, 2009, 02:06 AM
I use a basic slicker brush for my GSD's, whom are notorious shedders (german shedders, lol). No specific brand, just a large slicker I bought from global for $10. After I slicker I use a large sized Furminator on them. I cannot stress how wonderful the furminator is! It really gets all the undercoat out and when used on a regular basis, really reduces the shedding. I have tried many brushes in the past and the Furminator is the only one that gets out mass amounts of fur every time. The dogs really seem to enjoy how it feels........I have no problem convincing them to sprawl out and lay still for a furminator brushin'. I bought mine off of Ebay for $50, I think they are about $80 in the store, but don't quote me on that. Regardless of the price, I feel it's a great investment for dogs who are prone to shedding.

As for nail clippers, I have heard great things about dremmelling(sp). I don't use one on my dogs as it seems to really annoy them. I can't say I blame them :)
I preffer a guillotine style clipper and a good old fashion nail filing to smooth out the rough edges.

Myka
March 23rd, 2009, 02:51 AM
I use a basic slicker brush for my GSD's, whom are notorious shedders (german shedders, lol). No specific brand, just a large slicker I bought from global for $10. After I slicker I use a large sized Furminator on them. I cannot stress how wonderful the furminator is! It really gets all the undercoat out and when used on a regular basis, really reduces the shedding. I have tried many brushes in the past and the Furminator is the only one that gets out mass amounts of fur every time. The dogs really seem to enjoy how it feels........I have no problem convincing them to sprawl out and lay still for a furminator brushin'. I bought mine off of Ebay for $50, I think they are about $80 in the store, but don't quote me on that. Regardless of the price, I feel it's a great investment for dogs who are prone to shedding.

As for nail clippers, I have heard great things about dremmelling(sp). I don't use one on my dogs as it seems to really annoy them. I can't say I blame them :)
I preffer a guillotine style clipper and a good old fashion nail filing to smooth out the rough edges.

Thanks for your reply!! My dog doesn't really have an undercoat, or at least very little. It is her main hairs that are always shedding. I have been looking at the Furminators online (didn't notice their price!! :eek: ), and wondered if they are as good as the advertising says they are.

I have been considering using a Dremel style tool (as I need to buy one for other reasons anyway), although I worry about burning my dog. I know when they use the Dremel style tools at nail salons for the acrylic and gels nails i have been burned by them!! They get hot if you're too aggressive! I guess I would just need to be very careful. I think you can turn the speed down on Dremels too...maybe that would help...?

clm
March 23rd, 2009, 07:35 AM
My dogs have super thick undercoats. A rake is the most valuable tool for them. Also have a couple of regular brushes, but the rake gets most of the work.
I hate clipping the dogs nails, black nails and can't see the quick. I usually wimp out and get the vet to do it.

Cindy

shirley1011
March 23rd, 2009, 07:55 AM
We use the furminator on our Elkhounds...works great. Bought the pedi paws tool for nails but the sound really bothers them and can't get anywhere near them with it.

Gail P
March 23rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
For nails I've always used a guillotine style clipper and it does a good job. Some dogs can be big 'fraidy cats about their nails even if you don't cut too deep. A few of my dogs don't particularly like to get their nails done but they put up with it without a fuss. In the winter I do them all about once a week but in the summer they wear them down so much I rarely ever have to trim them. I trimmed my husband's beagle's nails last week and what a screamer he was. I didn't get even close to cutting too deep, in fact I left them longer than I should have but man, what a wuss! But who knows, maybe he has good reason. Maybe he's been cut in the past and remembers. DH got him at 6 years old and he's always been an outside dog for hunting, I don't know what kind of care or handling he got before coming here.

For stripping out loose coat I LOVE my shedding slicker. Best brush I've ever used. Slickers come in all different styles, some are flat, some are curved and some have different length bristles. The shedding slicker I have is made by Vista and it's got a curved head and 2 different length bristles. I've used other types of slickers before and although they were good, none have worked as well as this one. I've also got an undercoat rake but I rarely use it, the shedding slicker is much better. With slickers you just have to watch you don't push too hard on the smoother coated dogs or you can scratch the skin and hurt them. That's not an issue if you've got a dog with a lot of undercoat but you do need to be more careful on some dogs. One of my dogs has a fine silky coat without too much undercoat and he doesn't enjoy grooming with any kind of tool, a couple of my other will ask to be groomed, pushing their way in between me and another dog I'm working on. Thunder in particular loves it, once I start working on him he rolls over for me to do his belly :crazy:

hazelrunpack
March 23rd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Gail, have you ever tried just a comb for your silky-haired boy? Setters have next to no undercoat and we just use a comb like this:

It has dull teeth so it's easy on the skin but they're long enough to get through tangles easily! :thumbs up

Myka
March 23rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I think I will try a Furminator. My dog despises the slickers...scratches her skin. She doesn't have much fur.

mumof4boys
March 23rd, 2009, 03:32 PM
For the nail trimming, for years I have used the guillotine style clippers but our youngest pup hated it. It always took 2 of us to trim her nails. One to hold her down and one to trim. Our son bought the dremal style(Pedi-???) as a Christmas present for the dogs. It was the best thing that could ever happen. They explain in the instructions how to get the dog acustomed to the noise but it only took a couple of days and our scardy pup now just comes and sits in front of me now when I bring it out. I put my hand out and she gives me her paw. Soooo Cute:) Of course she knows treats will follow. As for the preformance of the machine I think it works great. I do find I have to do it more often but no more sharp edges on their nails like I used to get with the other clippers.

Dee-O-Gee
March 23rd, 2009, 09:56 PM
Well Myka....I'm kinda a whimp :whistle::whistle:

I am quick to use the guillotine style nail clippers however; I bought one of those Pedi-Paws nail files.

I do a quick clip snip with the old fashion clippers but I find the calming sound of the Pedi-Paw helps Gryphon's anxiety of the whole ordeal not to mention file down the rough edges. :lightbulb:

Gail P
March 23rd, 2009, 11:15 PM
Gail, have you ever tried just a comb for your silky-haired boy? Setters have next to no undercoat and we just use a comb like this:

It has dull teeth so it's easy on the skin but they're long enough to get through tangles easily! :thumbs up

I have a comb exactly like that but it doesn't matter what I use, Storm just doesn't enjoy being groomed. Luckily border collies are pretty much wash & wear and he doesn't need much. If he's been doing a lot of swimming he'll get some tangles in the long hair on the back of his hind legs but not too bad. I just work on a little bit at a time, very slowly and gently.

Myka
March 24th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I was considering the Pedi-Paws tool, but I went to town today and bought a rotary tool as well as a Furminator. I will try them out tomorrow and report back. :D

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!! :)

SnowDancer
March 24th, 2009, 11:13 AM
The groomer! I do comb out my American Eskimo but as hard as I try I don't seem to quite do the job. Granted, he does not blow his coat to extent that most Eskies do - I lurk on the Eskie specific board and some of those people have garbage bags of fur from a blow - and their dogs are practically naked. Unfortunately because of this the mats develop even to point where I can't feel them - and the fur of the Eskie Spitz is more cat-like. Some people only groom their Eskies around their privates, toes and "pants" - and of course clip the claws of death - but my guy needs more than that. So he gets his nails done for $5 at the groomer's - and then gets groomed about every 3 months. I have seen some Eskies that have never been groomed and they are really fluffy - but often very matted as well. My guy was done yesterday - he hates being groomed - and I hate that tomorrow it will rain big time in Toronto. Although yesterday was the first time we were not greeted with a freak rainstorm as we exited the building - just wish his paws were naturally black.

growler~GateKeeper
March 25th, 2009, 02:27 AM
I've always prefered the guillotine clippers & a good manual filer. I find with the guillotine they don't pinch the nail together & you can easily shave thiner layers off rather than always taking off a bigger chunk, helps when your dog is a nail clipping wuss like mine was :rolleyes: :D

Have you seen the Zoom Groom by Kong? Works great for my short haired cat, it's a semi flexible medium rubber brush/massager. I know my :rip: :dog: would have loved one if I'd had one at the time. :D

Myka
March 26th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Well I haven't tried the rotary tool on her nails yet, but it has this cool option where the body has a 3' cord on it, so the spinning end isn't right by the tool. I think my dog will like this more because there won't be so much sound coming from the bit. What bits do you guys use for trimming nails?? The sanding drum ones?

I did try the Furminator out today though, and I'm surprised how much undercoat came out of her!! I didn't think she really had an undercoat. Haha! It looks promising. :)

StangHer
July 23rd, 2009, 06:46 PM
My dog has a thick under coat so I use a rake to control his shedding. After I rake him thouroughly, I go over him again with a dog comb, just to make sure I got all his under coat out. Especially since it's been so hot lately. He loves it!!
For his nails I use a dremmel. I had his groomer show me how to safely use it without burning him. He likes it better than the guillotine style clipper.