Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

4 month old puppy screams ALL NIGHT LONG. Help!

Stay Awake
March 22nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
About a month ago, I adopted a 4 1/2 month old boxer/beagle female puppy. To say the least, we're having some problems. :sad:

I know that puppies cry at night in their crates for a little while but for her, crying is an absolute understatement. She sounds like she is being slaughtered, and she screams literally ALL NIGHT LONG. I don't know what to do, I'm getting no sleep, and neither is my boyfriend. She's been here for a month now, and she's not getting any better. I turn on my TV, my fan, close my door, and I can still hear her.

When she's out of her crate, she's calm, sweet and super quiet. I don't understand, any idea on why she's like this? Will it ever stop?

Another thing, when I let her outside to go to the bathroom, she'll pee a handful of times, come inside, and pee right on my carpet. Is this a sign of a weak bladder or is it just what puppies do? She doesn't seem to be getting any better with potty training either. I have a two year old dog and he was the complete opposite of her, he was so easy to train.

I'm moving into a new apartment soon, my boyfriend can't stand the new puppy, and I don't wanna have to get rid of her.

What should I do?

luckypenny
March 22nd, 2009, 08:25 PM
I think your first step should be to take a urine sample to the vet to rule out a UTI. It may explain why she's peeing so frequently. SOme dogs take longer than others to completely housetrain. I've had pups who were clean within a week, and others who took several months. It all depends on teh individual dog and how consistent one is with their house-training.

As for her crying all night, is she getting enough time to play and exercise during the day? In the evening? It may help if she's pooped before you crate her. How about placing her crate in you room? Is that possible?

Stay Awake
March 22nd, 2009, 08:34 PM
She gets tons of play time/exercise. She and my older dog play all day long. I always make sure she poops and pees before I put her in her crate at night.

I actually did put the crate in my room and it seemed to help the first night, but after that she went back to yelping all night.

luckypenny
March 22nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
When does your puppy sleep?

sugarcatmom
March 22nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
Have you tried putting a peanut butter filled Kong or some sort of chew-toy in there to keep her occupied?

Stay Awake
March 22nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
When does your puppy sleep?

Her and my other dog take frequent naps between play time throughout the day.

Sugarcatmom, I have tried putting chew toys in there with her, she pays no attention to them. :frustrated:

Dog Dancer
March 22nd, 2009, 10:15 PM
If she's calm and quiet when she's not crated why are you crating her? My pup didn't like her crate either but would sleep the night if left out. Could you confine her with a baby gate in the kitchen maybe?

I also can't help but wonder why you said in your other thread about the dogs ear infenction that you were so broke you couldn't afford training for your aggressive dog, but you went out and adopted a second one anyhow. How are you going to train these dogs? One dog with a good quality diet (as suggested for your other dog to help alleviate allergies) should have been your starting point and adding a second later would have been a better plan for you.

Good luck to you - I think you've taken on more than you can handle right now.

Lynne_B
March 23rd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Other than playing with your older dog during the day, what kind of play time exercise does she get? Does she go to the dog park to socialize with other dogs, and do they both get walks, on and off leash? Just having them play together during the day isn't enough exercise, and they need a variety of playmates, not just each other. Also, while she can learn from the older dog, your older dog isn't fully socially mature either.

Where is the older dog at night? What do you do when she yelps? If you're trying to calm her down in any way, you may be encouraging the behaviour. If she yelps, she needs to learn that you will take her out to pee, then right back in the crate. Don't talk or anything, just quietly take her out of the crate, take her out to pee, then back. You can also try covering the crate with a blanket to make it feel more den-like.

Melinda
March 23rd, 2009, 10:12 AM
have you made sure the crate isn't too big for her? should just be large enough for her to stand up and turn around in. A good hour walk or 30 minutes of training will tire her out good for the night before you crate her. during the day bring the crate into which ever room you spend the most time in, lay a blanket in it and toss a few treats in to encourage her to walk into it on her own, say "crate" each time, never close the door during the day and in time she'll go in willingly to catch a nap...........if you exercise her enough.

ancientgirl
March 23rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
This is probably a dumb suggestion, but I've seen these things at the pet store, for puppies, that it's like those teddy bears that have a heartbeat. Maybe your pup just needs extra comfort? Perhaps putting something in the crate that smells like you?:shrug:

Gucci
April 3rd, 2009, 02:04 AM
About a month ago, I adopted a 4 1/2 month old boxer/beagle female puppy. To say the least, we're having some problems. :sad:

I know that puppies cry at night in their crates for a little while but for her, crying is an absolute understatement. She sounds like she is being slaughtered, and she screams literally ALL NIGHT LONG. I don't know what to do, I'm getting no sleep, and neither is my boyfriend. She's been here for a month now, and she's not getting any better. I turn on my TV, my fan, close my door, and I can still hear her.

When she's out of her crate, she's calm, sweet and super quiet. I don't understand, any idea on why she's like this? Will it ever stop?

Another thing, when I let her outside to go to the bathroom, she'll pee a handful of times, come inside, and pee right on my carpet. Is this a sign of a weak bladder or is it just what puppies do? She doesn't seem to be getting any better with potty training either. I have a two year old dog and he was the complete opposite of her, he was so easy to train.

I'm moving into a new apartment soon, my boyfriend can't stand the new puppy, and I don't wanna have to get rid of her.

What should I do?

It might be because the previous owners did not train the puppy at all within the 4 months they had her.

I just got a puppy 4 days ago, and he's a screamer too. It's been horrible!! I feel your pain, lol.

What we're doing is giving him treats in his crate and letting him walk in by himself. Also we heat up a bean bag at night and place it underneath his blankets. This warms the whole crate up and he seems to like it. But make sure its not too hot for your puppy!!

kin0kin
April 27th, 2009, 04:23 PM
What you are encountering is a very common phase with your dog. Some dogs seem to take the "lock in crate" deal just fine but some would scream all night long till you give up and let them out. It's the same with human babies.

When I just got my Smokey, he was just 2 months old. He was ok with staying in the crate for the first two days but he's a quick learner. He learned that it's better to be out and to sleep with us than to stay in the crate. I've researched so much about crate training before we even got our pup and I told my gf that..."Ignore him, he'd keep quite eventually....that's what people on the internet says". Unfortunately for me and some other new dog owners that was absolutely untrue. He did not stop, well, he might have if we left him a lot longer but we wouldn't be able to sleep and the neighbors wouldn't be able to sleep either. We tried everything, from putting a clock under his blankey, giving him toys, walking him before he sleeps, and what not. (speaking of which, the most effective way is to completely exhaust the puppy, which works about 50% for me)

We gave up, we had to treat him like a real baby. He had to stay out of the crate. He'd go in when he wants to but once you lock him in there, it doesn't matter if he sees you or not, he'd scream and whine till you let him out. I lived in an apartment and it was not an option for me to keep him whining all day long. Muffler did NOTHING to stop him. Spraying water did not work. Lime collar did not work. He was too young for shock collar.

We gave up, he was a freed dog ever since he was 2 months old. We were students back then so we had time to take are of him and not leave him alone for too long.

Later on, he developed what people called a "separation anxiety" problem. Was it because we scared the cr@p out of him by locking him in his crate when he was a pup, or was it because we spent too much time with him, I do not know and you can guess all you want. I went and read the net again and did all I could - (just google and whatever the result was, I pretty much did all of them). Did not solve the problem. I ended up using a shock collar. He was old enough now, over a year old.

It hurt him once or twice but it was effective. He shut up and he was really scared at first, but that did it for me. He's a quick learner, so after 2 incidents, the learned that he needs to shut up when we put that thing on.

My dog is 2.5 years old now, and we are not working adults. We work 8-5 and he seems to have understood that his barking and whining will not get him anywhere. I just keep him in his crate while we are at work. however, once we get home, we gave him all our love. He gets a long walk, and in fact, sometimes I'd come home during lunch and walk him :) The only problem is that, that's all he'd compromise it seems. Once he see us back, he will need to be let out of his crate. After we come back and walked him, he wouldn't stay in is crate. He needs to be out. :laughing: It's a fine compromise with me so I just let him be :angel:

Nagini
May 28th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Stay Awake, what kind of crate training have you done with your pup? You cant just put it inside, close the door and expect it to be ok with being locked up. I started crate training my 7mo old puppy about 1 months ago, and it has taken about a month to slowly make her like the crate. The first night we just closed her in, but she cried all night.

First of all, keep a puppy in the same room where you are. I suggest you taking away the crate, and making her another bed area. We did like this:

We moved our bed close to the wall, and make a fence of an old suitcase, so that she would sleep between the bed and the wall, and so that she wouldnt get away, a suitcase blocking the escape route :D She loved going to that corner right away, gave her lots of treats there etc, she had visual contact with us from there even when we are sleeping. She did whine every now and then, but total ignorance helped.

After a while (a week) we too, the suitcase away and put the crate where the suitcase used to be. We had the crate door open, so she could choose if she wanted to sleep on the floor or in the crate... Every night we moved the crate 10cm closer towards the corner where she slept. and one night, she had SO little space on the floor to sleep, that she walked in the crate and slept there instead.

Then we jsut put the crate in the corner normally and locked her in.

Read a little about training, if she is okay outside the crate, then its just possible that she has bad experience of the crate