March 21st, 2009, 10:44 PM
This is a tomato based vegetable soup. You can use any type of vegetable you like. The secret is to cut them the same size. Normally I like to have green bell pepper and kidney beans in this soup. But since I didn't have those in the pantry I just went without. Also I had a cabbage that I needed to use so I chopped up half of it for the soup. Since I would normally add kidney beans to this soup, instead today I used some potatoes for the starch.
1) Ingredients laid out
2) Ingredients washed, cut and ready to go
3) Preheat the pot with some vegetable oil and fry up the onion first
March 21st, 2009, 10:46 PM
No need to brown the onion, just sweat it a little.
1) Once the onion is starting to go translucent add the carrot
2) After a while, add the celery and a bit of salt, pepper and herbs (fresh or dry)
3) Then add the tomato
March 21st, 2009, 10:52 PM
Once the tomato starts to break down and you see some liquid in the pot add the tomato paste (half can used). I just put a cling film over the other half of the tomato paste and put it into the fridge. That is because I know I will use it within the next couple of days. If you don't know what you are going to do with it, scoop out the rest with a tablespoon (actually measurement spoons are good) and freeze the balls on a cookie sheet in the freezer. Once frozen, put into a ziplock bag. Than you can pull out whatever you need and use them at your leisure.
1) After the tomato paste, I also throw in a big pinch of sugar to counter balance the sourness of the tomato
2) Once everything is nicely cooked, I add the stock and water (no need for a crazy amount of stock)
3) Let the soup come to a boil then add the barley and potato, let that shimmer and cook for a while before adding the cabbage
March 21st, 2009, 11:03 PM
Then let the soup come to a boil and shimmer for about 25 minutes. Season to taste before serving. Don't have a picture of the finished product this time. The batteries in my camera crapped out on me.
One of my favourite soups.
March 21st, 2009, 11:18 PM
So you don't puree this one in the blender? :thumbs up That means hazel could make it! :D
March 22nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
Hazel - No need for blender use with this soup. Also this soup is really flexible, you can add pretty much anything you want to it. Mix it up a little.
The base of the soup is onion, carrot, celery, tomato and tomato paste.
Normally I add green bell pepper, kidney beans and barley. But in this case I added potato and cabbage, so pretty much anything goes.
1) Warming up some left over for lunch
2) One of my favourite soups
March 22nd, 2009, 09:46 PM
Yum! It does look tasty...and no blender needed :thumbs up
March 22nd, 2009, 11:03 PM
i loooove tomatoe soup.
i think im gonna try this one.
btw i tried the pumpkin soup..was really good , thanks :thumbs up