Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Now I'm worried.

ancientgirl
March 20th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I had a mammogram last week. I have been getting them since I was about 30, because my mother died from complications of breast cancer. My GYN just called because they want more views and an ultrasound. Now my worry wart side is kicking in.

When I called the GYN's office back to have them fax me the prescription so I can make the appointment, the woman told me sometimes they will do this if they can't read it well. She said as we age we sometimes get more fatty tissue and sometimes the screen isn't as clear as it should be, so more views will be requested.

I keep telling myself it's just fatty tissue that's in question. I have gained a bit of weight and my bust-line has increased because of that. I mean, I haven't felt anything odd. I'm telling myself it doesn't mean anything, they just want to have a second look and make sure it's fatty tissue and nothing else. But I can't help but worry.

BenMax
March 20th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Worrying is the worst remedy.

We all worry but do not until everything is confirmed. Don't put the horse before the cart. Stay positive...always positive. Half full and not half empty.

ancientgirl
March 20th, 2009, 12:22 PM
That's what my boss said. He told me to not go jumping ahead of things.

I know I shouldn't but it's this part of my anxiety issues. I worry about everything and always think the worst. I wish I could stop doing that.

Melinda
March 20th, 2009, 12:59 PM
of course you're worried, its human nature, but odds are it is fatty tissue, I was called back for the exact same thing last spring....and it didn't stop me from worrying, only thing I can advise is to keep busy , keep your mind off of it and relax...*huggers*

ancientgirl
March 20th, 2009, 01:07 PM
of course you're worried, its human nature, but odds are it is fatty tissue, I was called back for the exact same thing last spring....and it didn't stop me from worrying, only thing I can advise is to keep busy , keep your mind off of it and relax...*huggers*

Thank you. Just hearing that others have been called back for the same thing too makes me a little less anxious. Someone on one of my blogs told me the same thing happened to her.

I'm going to just get it in my head that it's just a precaution and nothing to worry about.

BenMax
March 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I went through the same thing and I did exactly what Melinda suggests - keep busy.

If anxiety is an issue, did you ever think of meditation? Yoga?

ancientgirl
March 20th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I've never thought of meditation or Yoga to help me with my anxiety. But, it sounds like something I should look into.

BenMax
March 20th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I've never thought of meditation or Yoga to help me with my anxiety. But, it sounds like something I should look into.

It works. It teaches you how to control your breathing hence will help with anxiety.

ancientgirl
March 20th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Then it definitely sounds like something I could use.

Dog Dancer
March 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM
She raises her hand and says I too am part of the fatty booby club. I got called back for the same thing as well. Of course I worried. And thank goodness it was all for naught. So, I'm with the others, try to keep busy with other things and not to worry about it. Breathing techniques to relax are wonderful. You're in my thoughts.

14+kitties
March 20th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Sending lots of :fingerscr:goodvibes: for fatty tissue.

ancientgirl
March 20th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Wow, thanks guys! All of your comments and shared experiences has really calmed my fears.

I went to the same place I had my last one done, about 2 years ago. And I was thinner back then, so I'm also sure when they compared the two there was a big difference.

Winston
March 20th, 2009, 04:09 PM
AG just wanted to say dont worry! I agree if there is weight gain than thats the likely culprit!

Kudos to you for having a regular Mamogram! most people dont get checked until there is a problem! so good for you for not procrastinating...

Just think when you go in for the follow up how many people are going to be thinking about your boobs! :D :laughing:

Cindy

joeysmama
March 20th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I've had so many of these scares that I've lost count. It doesn't get any easier but I hope that it makes you feel a little better to know that most of the time they're just being careful. I think that they're EXTRA careful these days. I am almost always sent for a follow up ultrasound and the past three years I've had to repeat the mammo. Fortunately they read them while I'm there so I don't even get dressed again until they give me the all clear.

The first time they came and got me and said they needed to talk to me and put me in a little room to wait for the doctor. Just two chairs, a small table and a box of tissues. I said. "OH ! This is the bad news room!" :eek:

But honestly they've been fine. With your health history I bet they go over yours with a fine tooth comb. Maybe its fuzz on the screen or whatever, but they'd rather be safe than sorry.

Keep us all posted because now we'll be worrying along with you until you get the good news !!

cuko
March 20th, 2009, 05:23 PM
oh hun best of luck and my thoughts are with you! i got goosebumps readin your thread as i've lost many friends and family to breast cancer!

but as said i bet it's just fatty tissue and they want to make sure.. this is great they are carin for ppl more then just estimating!

i know when they found a lump in my breast and i was 19 they re-tested me 3 times and also a biospy on the end only to find it was tissue fat... shesh!! but i certainly can imagine the stress you have.. i guess its the worst part a woman can get lumps also.

hugs to you sweetie and hope it all goes well!

BusterBoo
March 20th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I have also had to go back for mammograms....and pap tests, and each time it was just a precaution.

Keep in mind, that at some points in the month, your breasts are a little "thicker" around the time of your period, so depending when you had the mammogram, that could have been the reason the pictures need to be retaken.

Hang in there and let us know when you go for your next appt :grouphug:

Love4himies
March 20th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Oh no, AG, I am sure everything will be OK, the mammogram pics are probably not clear, it happens quite a bit. I have to admit I hate it too when they don't elaborate on why, the worst things end up going through your head. :grouphug:

ancientgirl
March 20th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks everyone! I really feel a lot better than I did when I started this thread. I didn't realize this was as common as it seems to be.

I'm hoping to be able to do this next week sometime.

Winston, yes when I do my second mammo, it will be the most anyone has thought about my boobs in a long time.:laughing:

Winston
March 20th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Oh yea! glad you found some humor in my coment!! :laughing::laughing:

ancientgirl
March 20th, 2009, 07:09 PM
:thumbs up

cuko
March 20th, 2009, 07:24 PM
keep those spirits up:thumbs up:thumbs up!! hehe and let up know so we can drink to your good news bub!
fingers crossed for you!

ancientgirl
March 20th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks. Hopefully I won't have to wait the entire week before I know something. As soon as I get my prescription faxes to me, I'm making the appointment.

hazelrunpack
March 20th, 2009, 10:06 PM
At least you won't have to wait long--they usually get the follow-up screenings scheduled pretty quickly!

:fingerscr that it's nothing. Even if they do find something, over 90% of all lumps are benign, so the chances are excellent that it's nothing to worry about! Hard to not worry, though, I know :grouphug:

Besides, with all these :goodvibes: and :fingerscr and :pray:s, how can you end up with anything but good news? :thumbs up

ancientgirl
March 21st, 2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks Hazel. I'm feeling better about it all now. Especially since so many people here and on my blog have told me they have experienced the same thing. :D

rainbow
March 21st, 2009, 02:23 PM
Keep in mind, that at some points in the month, your breasts are a little "thicker" around the time of your period, so depending when you had the mammogram, that could have been the reason the pictures need to be retaken.

That is true and also you should not wear any deodorant, perfume, moisturinzing lotion, etc or wear any jewelery as that can also screw up the results.

ancientgirl
March 21st, 2009, 02:30 PM
Rainbow, when I did the mammo, it was a week after my period started, so that might have something to do with it yes.

rainbow
March 21st, 2009, 02:40 PM
I've heard that it is best to have it done a week after your peiod stops. :shrug:

ancientgirl
March 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM
I've told myself and decided it's probably fatty tissue. That way it will at least give me a more positive feeling.:D

rainbow
March 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM
That is likely what it is ....I always find that it is the "waiting for results" part that is the hardest. I finally get the rest of my results next week and hopefully they are okay as well.

ancientgirl
March 21st, 2009, 03:03 PM
I finally get the rest of my results next week and hopefully they are okay as well.

What did you have done?

rainbow
March 21st, 2009, 03:11 PM
What did you have done?

I first had an ultrasound done and they found fibroids in my uterus. I'm waiting for the CA125 blood test to come back from the cancer agency.

ancientgirl
March 21st, 2009, 03:13 PM
I first had an ultrasound done and they found fibroids in my uterus. I'm waiting for the CA125 blood test to come back from the cancer agency.

Oh, I didn't know. I have a friend who is always dealing with fibroids. If I remember correctly, she's had them for a long time and her GYN told her as long as she was checked yearly she didn't have to worry. She just had a baby too.

I hope your tests come back with no issues.

rainbow
March 21st, 2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks AG ....if the blood test comes back negative I have to go for another ultrasound the end of May to see if they have shrunk.

I hope all goes well for you too. :grouphug: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
March 21st, 2009, 03:26 PM
:goodvibes:all around my friend.

Luvmypitgirls
March 21st, 2009, 11:59 PM
Ancient, I wanted to reply sooner, but to be honest I was rather afraid.
I recently went thru a similar situation, and after having already being diagnosed with one form of cancer, I have a hard time dealing with these issues.
I just want you to know that you are in my prayers.:2huggers:

growler~GateKeeper
March 22nd, 2009, 01:21 AM
AG just wanted to send some :goodvibes: for you :grouphug:

:goodvibes: for you too Rainbow :grouphug:

Magicwildwolf69
March 22nd, 2009, 01:26 AM
:pray::grouphug::goodvibes: for everyone everything will be great :)

ancientgirl
March 22nd, 2009, 08:22 AM
Ancient, I wanted to reply sooner, but to be honest I was rather afraid.
I recently went thru a similar situation, and after having already being diagnosed with one form of cancer, I have a hard time dealing with these issues.
I just want you to know that you are in my prayers.:2huggers:

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope everything is okay with you.:goodvibes: These things are so hard to deal with. You want to remain positive, yet you have to also prepare yourself in case it becomes something. The great thing is, we can now catch these things earlier than 20 years ago, and even 10 years ago. So our chances of surviving something bad are better than those before us.

Thank you Growler and Magicwildwolf69. I'm giong to remain positive.

chico2
March 22nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
AG,I know you are a worry-wart extra-ordinaire,hug your 5 babies,let the worries ease out:lovestruck:
About 20 yrs ago,I had a similar experience,a lump was found in my boob.
I was very calm about it,sat down and wrote instructions for my family what to do,in case I was not with them anymore....now,that was going too far:laughing:
I had surgery to remove the fatty blob,maybe today they don't do that anymore,I still save the letter I wrote to my family.
My family-doc always checks my boobs,it's gotten to the point I think he likes them:laughing:,but I think the drive to fight breast-cancer is soo much better today than 20yrs ago.
So young lady,don't worry too much:grouphug:

chico2
March 22nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
Rainbow,:pray:for good testresults:grouphug:

Winston
March 22nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
Rainbow! welcome to the fybroid and fatty boob club! I also have fybroids...and they are very very common with women.....I will be getting mine removed in June! if you need any info let me know!

ancientgirl
March 22nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
Chico, LOL, you are very correct. I am quite the worry wart. Heck, I think it's become so much a part of my personality, people might think something was wrong with me if I didn't worry.:D

Thanks for the support. Having so many people tell me of their experiences has made me feel a lot better. :D I'll hold off on the letter though.

Winston, you'll be okay. Let us know when you have your procedure done. Going through things like this, even though they eventually wind up not being serious, I think it helps to know you have people supporting you.

Winston
March 22nd, 2009, 12:37 PM
AG dont you worry! I will be off work for 6-8 weeks so you'll probably be sick of me by then! :D

ancientgirl
March 22nd, 2009, 12:51 PM
That's good you'll at least have that time to recover.

Luvmypitgirls
March 22nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope everything is okay with you.:goodvibes: These things are so hard to deal with. You want to remain positive, yet you have to also prepare yourself in case it becomes something. The great thing is, we can now catch these things earlier than 20 years ago, and even 10 years ago. So our chances of surviving something bad are better than those before us.

Thank you Growler and Magicwildwolf69. I'm giong to remain positive.

You definately need to be positive, I was just trying to convey that it's hard to know what to say in these circumstances. Of course I wish you nothing but the best, and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
:)

ancientgirl
March 22nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
Thank you, I hope the same for you as well.:grouphug:

rainbow
March 31st, 2009, 07:59 PM
Rainbow! welcome to the fybroid and fatty boob club! I also have fybroids...and they are very very common with women.....I will be getting mine removed in June! if you need any info let me know!

Thanks, Winston ....the gyn's office phoned and said that she wants to talk to me about a "procedure" so I may just take you up on that. :D

ancientgirl
March 31st, 2009, 08:11 PM
Rainbow, I hope everything is okay with you.

I've still got to get my second mammo and ultrasound. I'm supposed to go this Friday, but I am going to have to change it for the middle of April. Funny how the first time I didn't have to pay because the insurance covered 100%, but the second one I have to shell out $100. :rolleyes: My suspicious mind is working over time and I wonder if I even had a fatty problem in the first place.

Winston
March 31st, 2009, 08:42 PM
Rainbow its not really a big deal having fybroids unless they cause you grief like me! Many many women have them and they are not always a problem...

I got my date today for surgury so I will be off for the summer I go in June! Woo hoo! I guess I shouldnt get too excited its pretty major surgery but to not have to work foro 6-8 weeks is just fine by me! :D

Hope all goes well at the docs....:thumbs up

rainbow
April 2nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Rainbow, I hope everything is okay with you.

I've still got to get my second mammo and ultrasound. I'm supposed to go this Friday, but I am going to have to change it for the middle of April. Funny how the first time I didn't have to pay because the insurance covered 100%, but the second one I have to shell out $100. :rolleyes: My suspicious mind is working over time and I wonder if I even had a fatty problem in the first place.

I'm sure everything is fine with me. :D

Perhaps your insurance only covers one visit. :shrug: I don't think you have to worry much either but please do get it done. :thumbs up

Rainbow its not really a big deal having fybroids unless they cause you grief like me! Many many women have them and they are not always a problem...

I got my date today for surgury so I will be off for the summer I go in June! Woo hoo! I guess I shouldnt get too excited its pretty major surgery but to not have to work foro 6-8 weeks is just fine by me! :D

Hope all goes well at the docs....:thumbs up

Oh, I know fibroids aren't normally a problem unless they grow too large and do something like push up against your bladder and cause discomfort, etc. I wouldn't have even known I had them if it wasn't for the spotting. I didn't see the regular gyn when I went as she was on holidays but I think the concern is that the biggest fibroid is blocking my ovaries and they want to be able to rule out that cause of bleeding as well. :shrug:

How many fibroids do you have? Are they only going to remove them or do you need to get a hysterectomy? :grouphug:

ancientgirl
April 2nd, 2009, 09:08 PM
Yes, they do only cover the one time. I've got my appointment for the 17. I had it for this coming Friday, tomorrow actually, but I just didn't have the cash. So, I have to wait until next payday.

Magicwildwolf69
April 2nd, 2009, 11:54 PM
:grouphug::goodvibes: to you guys going for test, check ups and surgery. Keeping you in my thoughts and sending good karma your way.

rainbow
April 3rd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Yes, they do only cover the one time. I've got my appointment for the 17. I had it for this coming Friday, tomorrow actually, but I just didn't have the cash. So, I have to wait until next payday.

Glad you are going ....good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Winston
April 3rd, 2009, 06:24 PM
Rainbow I have 4 fybroids. They are pretty small. They are on the uterus. My problem started when my cycle never came to an end. It lasted 8 months straight ..I had a very short break and it started again and hasnt stopped..it has now been an additional 7 months..I have tried everything that was an option and there doesnt appear to be much choice. I am having a hysterectomy but they are leaving the ovaries so that they dont force me into menopause.

Its been a horrible horrible time! I cant tell you how exhausting it is! Problem too is your irin gets low and thats also a battle for me now. Trying to find energy!

Rainbow maybe your regular doc will have some suggestions?? I have been told over and over again the reason I have this problem is because of the fybroids??

ancientgirl
April 16th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Tomorrow was supposed to be my appointment for my second mammogram and the ultrasound.

I canceled it.

The first mammo, was covered. I didn't pay for anything. They said they didn't get good enough shots, so now I had to do more.

They just called me from the hospital that my charge would be $595!

100 for the copay
395 towards the out of pocket
100 towards the deductible.

Sorry, I don't have it and I'm not paying that. I don't have that kind of money and it infuriates me that I have to pay this. I guess the $200 a month I pay for insurance doesn't really get me much does it?

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and when my plan comes up for renewal, get a higher cost plan which will cover more stuff, or do some legwork and find another insurance company.

Unbelievable.

Bailey_
April 16th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Unbelieveable!

I just watched a documentary on Medical coverage around the world, and it is UNREAL what americans have to do just to get a checkup, or in some cases, treated. It's infuriating, really.

...Sorry to hear you're going through this, ancientgirl. :sad:

ancientgirl
April 16th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Unbelieveable!

I just watched a documentary on Medical coverage around the world, and it is UNREAL what americans have to do just to get a checkup, or in some cases, treated. It's infuriating, really.

...Sorry to hear you're going through this, ancientgirl. :sad:

Bailey, it's no wonder most of the country doesn't have health insurance! I just looked at what my rates will be for my renewal. For a plan that covers the most I'd be paying $410, and the least coverage is $210!

So I can either pay through the nose and be totally broke every month or I can pay the least and heaven forbid something happens to me I will have to shell out thousands of dollars before a doctor will even look at me!

Bailey_
April 16th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Bailey, it's no wonder most of the country doesn't have health insurance! I just looked at what my rates will be for my renewal. For a plan that covers the most I'd be paying $410, and the least coverage is $210!

So I can either pay through the nose and be totally broke every month or I can pay the least and heaven forbid something happens to me I will have to shell out thousands of dollars before a doctor will even look at me!

Oh god, AG, this literally makes me want to cry.

I cannot even comprehend a person having to deal with medical issues and the added stress of coverage payment on top of it. Our plan allows us to make a claim for the payment so that it's returned to us, which I believe should be available EVERYWHERE.

Are those price quotes with basically all the medi insurance companys or the one your on? If there's anything I can do on my end, let me know....that is enraging!

ancientgirl
April 16th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Oh god, AG, this literally makes me want to cry.

I cannot even comprehend a person having to deal with medical issues and the added stress of coverage payment on top of it. Our plan allows us to make a claim for the payment so that it's returned to us, which I believe should be available EVERYWHERE.

Are those price quotes with basically all the medi insurance companys or the one your on? If there's anything I can do on my end, let me know....that is enraging!

Bailey, those quotes are just my plan, but it's the same everywhere. Companies are raising their prices yet lowering their coverage. Every company I've looked into has terrible prescription coverage. Mine doesn't cover anything having to do with mental health. And if I even went to another company, they would not cover anything having to do with my asthma for a year to 18 months, depending on the company.

People complain about this country being dangerously close to socialism. Let me tell you, our health industry could use some socialisation!

Thank you but unless you own a health insurance company here in the states, there's not much you can do. :D

Bailey_
April 16th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Thank you but unless you own a health insurance company here in the states, there's not much you can do

:laughing: Alright then, I guess I'm of no help in that case. Although now that I think about it, I SHOULD start up an insurance company for you guys - it might actually give you insurance coverage!!

Keep us posted if you find a better company, and if I hear of one in the states I'll let you know. Us Canucks are rooting for ya!

ancientgirl
April 16th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I'm thinking too bad my family decided to go south and not north when I was 14:frustrated: I could have been Canadian right now and not having to deal with this garbage!:laughing:

Bailey_
April 16th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I'm thinking too bad my family decided to go south and not north when I was 14:frustrated: I could have been Canadian right now and not having to deal with this garbage!:laughing:

:laughing: Yeah, but then you'd have to give up PALM TREES. I'm not so sure that would be a fair trade. :laughing:

ancientgirl
April 16th, 2009, 04:30 PM
:laughing: Yeah, but then you'd have to give up PALM TREES. I'm not so sure that would be a fair trade. :laughing:

Hey, for better health insurance, I'll leave the palm trees behind.

rainbow
April 16th, 2009, 06:20 PM

Are those monthly rates or for a whole year of coverage? :confused:

ancientgirl
April 16th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Are those monthly rates or for a whole year of coverage? :confused:

Unfortunately, those are monthly rates. And they get higher the older you get.:frustrated:

rainbow
April 16th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Holy crap. :eek: :grouphug: :grouphug:

ancientgirl
April 16th, 2009, 06:53 PM
It's no wonder I'm always broke! :rolleyes: I'm lucky I'm not paying family prices. I'd be paying upwards of $1200+