Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Prepared Raw Food - Beware, not always best

LittleMonster
March 18th, 2009, 11:33 PM
This is coming from personal experience with my puppy. I'm not bashing urban carnivore, I think its pretty good, but I don't think its the best.

So the story goes like this. A few weeks ago I posted about how my puppy wouldn't tolerate lamb and chicken. Since then he had been on elk and beef and other red meats, all of which were Urban Carnivore brand with no problems. I did try feeding chicken patties again after a while but he got sick again.

The other day I visited a local butcher to see what they carry, because I wanted to start doing home made raw. I explained to him how the puppy didn't tolerate chicken and lamb so he asked where I got the food so I told him it was prepackaged raw. Then he convinced me to try his chicken, he filled up a big bag and even gave it to me for free. My dog has been great since then. Actually he did vomit once but I'm 99.9% certain it was because I mixed in raw chicken & bones with beef liver on the second day. Other than that incident he has been great and he really likes the food.

So take it with a grain of salt, maybe I got a bad batch, maybe my dog doesn't like all the things that they grind into the food, I don't know. I do feel better about feeding him fresh ingredients I can actually see.

I thought I should post this since there are a lot of people with questions on prepackaged raw.

Critique/comments welcomed.

Nagini
March 19th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Theres always a difference with patties than just giving it raw, simple and whole. One couldn't go more natural with a dog like that. For me, it's a huge enjoyment just to watch my dog it it's food like that!

Lissa
March 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I don't want to bash companies who offer prepackaged raw but its not something that I am comfortable with feeding either. I've fed raw for 6 years and the only prepacked raw I have ever used is beef tripe (and that didn't last!).

First of all ground meat = lots more bacteria (larger surface area) and I'd rather have my dog using his teeth to rip meat rather than the work being done for him
Secondly not all prepackged raw guarantees that the products they are using are human grade.
But probably the most important factor for me is that I have no control over how its stored before it gets to me. How long was it frozen before it got to me? How many times did it thaw before it got to me? A lot of nutrients can be lost and a lot of bacteria can grow if the frozen patties are not handled properly.
:2cents:

clm
March 19th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I don't feed raw, but I don't understand why you would buy prepackaged raw instead of justing buying the beef, pork, chicken, etc yourself and either feeding whole or grind it or chop it up yourself? I would think it's a lot more expensive to buy prepackaged.

Cindy

Phoebespeople
March 19th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I buy pre-packaged raw food. The place I get it from gets their ingredients from local butcher shops/processing facilities and it's all human grade and hormone free. I often see the delivery trucks dropping off fresh shipments when I pull into the parking lot, so I know where it's coming from. They either grind it up or leave it whole, freeze it into long bars, and cut those up into one or two pound chunks. They have chinken, turkey, beef, bison, duck, venison, rabbit, lamb... all with bones, organs, and/or veggies. They have vitamins(kelp/alfalfa/yeast powder), salmon oil, sardines,whole marrow bones, and most importantly, green beef and lamb tripe.
They have a large and loyal list of clients, so they go through inventory very quickly, and the prices are very close to what I would pay myself at any local butcher or supermarket meat counter, quite often LESS!
I think I am quite lucky to have such an exeptional store to buy my raw dog food at, but if a store like this doesn't exist in your area, it would be much better to buy directly from your local butcher shop or meat counter. It's a good rule to always shop locally.
Check out their website because thay have good information about raw food and pet nutrition:
http://www.buddiesnaturalpetfood.ca/

Love4himies
March 19th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I don't feed raw, but I don't understand why you would buy prepackaged raw instead of justing buying the beef, pork, chicken, etc yourself and either feeding whole or grind it or chop it up yourself? I would think it's a lot more expensive to buy prepackaged.

Cindy

I now make my own raw for my cats and it is SOOOOOOOO much cheaper than buying prepared raw. It is some work as you have to weigh everything going in to make sure the ratios are correct. I usually avg about $1.50 per pound. AND I know it is human grade meat.

MerlinsHope
March 23rd, 2009, 10:47 AM
I'm not bashing urban carnivore, I think its pretty good, but I don't think its the best.

Anything commercial is just that. Commercial , so of course it's not the best, no commercial product ever is.
You cannot compare home made raw to commercial raw, and as I mentioned on another post, buying commercial raw is no different than buying commercial kibble.

Part of the desired science of feeding raw, or any natural diet, is having control over what is going inside your dog. You control the quality at all times this way.

Commercial raw products come in all kinds of grades and qualities, just like kibble does, they all have additives, just like kibble does, and the supply & manufacturer is for profit, just like kibble is. There are some very poor quality raw products that you are better off replacing with high quality kibble.

It is so much healthier, more appropriate and certainly much cheaper to feed meat that you purchase yourself form a store or a butcher.

You may really want to consider this.

Cheers
MM

lia12
March 23rd, 2009, 12:31 PM
I've always made my own raw diet for my dogs. They're fed mostly wild venison and chicken. Organ meats, veggies, eggs, cottage cheese and yogurt also.