Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another season approaches

clm
March 18th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Almost time to stop with the bird feeders, usually mid to late April we put them away. I would love to feed year round, but the grackles I've discovered kill young birds at the feeders, so I have to settle for hummingbird and oriole feeders for the spring and summer. The bird feed money then goes into koi clay for the pond. The stray cats don't have the same appetite in the warmer spring and summer months that they do in winter. Instead of going through 3 cases of food per week plus a large bag of kibble, that'll reduce to about half, then that money goes into koi food. :laughing: Money spent gas to heat the house is replaced by hydro costs to run the A/C. Money spent on DVD's and indoor home projects to amuse oneself in the indoor winter months is then spent on garden plants and outdoor projects. No savings to be had, just different things suck up the money. :laughing:

Cindy

Dee-O-Gee
March 18th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I hear ya clm!

From the dog to the cat to the fish to the birds to all of the money spent on flowers--It's a vicious circle but it brings us happiness everyday :cloud9:

Chris21711
March 19th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I normally take the feeders in sometime around the end of May, same reason GRACKLES. I think we are in for an early Spring, the signs seem to be pointing that way, I have Grackles already but not droves of them yet. I have never seen them attack one of the smaller birds, but they completely overtake the feeders :frustrated: Not that I begrudge them a meal, but they don't leave much for the rest :yell:

Money I save on bird seed, Yup goes into the garden + some. It's neverending...

glasslass
March 19th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Grackles? Koi clay?

I'm not familiar with either one.

hazelrunpack
March 19th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Grackles are black birds with irridescent heads, yellow eyes, and nonmelodic voices, glasslass. :D

I don't think I've ever seen a grackle at our feeders--I think it's too wooded. They only pass through, they don't stay here. If I bring in the feeders at all it's because of bears--but (knock on wood, :fingerscr, kiss a toad, etc etc) the bears have been pretty well-behaved since we've moved here and have left the feeders alone! :thumbs up

clm
March 19th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Grackles? Koi clay?

I'm not familiar with either one.

Grackles are rather attractive birds. Black as black can be with a real bluish cast to their heads. They're not as large as a crow, but bigger than a starling. I've had them actually behead house finches at the feeders. Pretty gruesome sight.
Koi Clay is used in the pond to replace minerals in the water and to help to control string algae and suspended algae. Some people actually dust their koi food in it as it's supposed to be good for the fish to consume as well.

Bears Hazel?:eek:

clm

hazelrunpack
March 19th, 2009, 09:37 PM
A few bears...but they pretty much want to avoid the dogs, so they don't crowd the fence or come to the feeders for the most part :thumbs up

14+kitties
March 19th, 2009, 10:10 PM
:laughing: So true! 'Cept around here my cat food bill never goes down!! :D:cloud9:

onster
March 19th, 2009, 10:13 PM
lol CLM

I havent put the bird seed out since one squirrel decided it was his mission to come everyday and spill allllllll the seeds to get some sunflower seeds. It just made too much of a mess.

Still trying to figure that one out. But i guess i dont need to till next winter because of the grackles :eek: i dont think i could watch a bird beheading another one :yuck: