Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Catahoula Information

Glen Jass
August 5th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Afternoon All, I have a question I hope some of you can answer for me.
I have recently lost my best friend of 14 years due to cancer, she never met a stranger.
So looking for new opening as a house sitter, ball catcher and companion. The border collie that I did have was a perfect breed for the time, but if I do get another border collie she will be compared to the old one and I don't think that is fair.
I was doing some research on Catahoula's and I think that breed would fit in really well, If any of you have any information where I could get to see some catahoulas, mixed or pure it doesn't matter to me or the couch that she/he will be taking over.
I live in southern alberta, I can be reached at dirty420dawg@yahoo.com
Thanks for you time and the info that I already got from this site.

Lucky Rescue
August 5th, 2004, 07:33 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your old friend.:(

Catahoula Leopard dogs are serious hunting and hog dogs, are wary of strangers, are territorial and will guard. Individual dogs' temperaments will vary, of course, but those are the average breed traits.

I'm just curious - what did you read about them that makes you think they would be perfect for your situation? Do you want another dog who will love everyone as your last dog did? I don't suggest a Catahoula if this is the case.

There is a good description of them HERE (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/catahoula.htm)

Luba
August 5th, 2004, 07:49 PM
I too am sorry for your loss.

Perhaps if you tell us a bit about your lifestyle and living arrangement we can suggest a breed or mixed breed that would suit you :D

Glen Jass
August 6th, 2004, 12:15 AM
What I heard was that they were very intelligent and outgoing but are usually good with children even with the hearding instinct. I live in a small city, and own a farm, boot was very good in intelligence but would let crooks into the yard with a wag of her tail. So I was looking for something that would have more backbone and bark or growl at strangers until they weren't strange anymore. It would also be nice to have it around the house when I have to work out of town, something to comfort the wife and a piece of mind for me. We have a good sized fenced yard, and good access to off leash area's. I just wanted something that I could train from a puppy for frisbee and flyball and fetch but would be still a little protective of the property. If any of you have any other suggestions for breeds I would love to hear them. I was doing research on breeds and fell in love with the look of the breed, I never heard of them before and when I heard that they can be very intelligent and it is a good working dog I thought I would find out more information.
Hope to hear from you soon.
<<<< was surprised I got that many replys already :o

sammiec
August 6th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Since you've looked into these dogs a little, I'm sure you're aware that they have short hair and will not survive outdoors, especially during your VERY cold winters in Medicine Hat. These dogs much be kept indoors.

Here are some that are available in your area:

petfinder (http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=1&pet.Breed=Catahoula%20Leopard%20Dog&pet.Animal=Dog)

mastifflover
August 6th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Check petfinder.com there were a few on the site for adoption. Unfortunatley people get them without doing research and find they need to much exercise for there lifestyle. This sounds like it would be a great dog for you as long as it lives indoors.

Glen Jass
August 6th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all the help, you are correct about the winters. It is cruel to leave them out all the time even in the summer. A dog requires companionship just as much as its master, I have found that the more time you spend with your dog the better it listen's and behaves. Mine was with me most of the day sometimes I would even take it to work.
We don't have any kids, but some do show up now and then. I was curious about how there temperment is with kids also. The border used to sort of try and keep them in the same room using her nose and body was funny to watch. Sure worked good as a baby sitter though..lol.

What other dogs would you reccomend...Also is there such a thing as a short haired border collie breed or is it a cross between something else.
Thanks for the links going to check them out now.

glasslass
August 6th, 2004, 10:43 AM
My pop's border collie wasn't as thick and curly as many I've seen. His hair was long, but smoother.

CityLimits
August 7th, 2004, 10:09 AM
I adopted my Catahoula cross Leo this past April. You can see some pictures of him here: http://community.webshots.com/user/kruzekontrol

Although he is not a pure breed, the description that LR provided fits him almost perfectly. He is a big suck with us and people that come to the house often but will bark at strangers. If you heard his bark you would definetly think twice about coming into his yard. However, if the person actually did come into the yard Leo would just want to play with them.

Leo hasn't had much exposure to kids however I would be very careful as his play is so rowdy and rough I am sure he would accidently hurt them. He has knocked me down a couple times when he has been playing with my other dogs. He just doesn't watch where he is going and doesn't always have control over his body.

Excersie is key with Leo. As long as I walk him off leash twice a day (45-60min each) he is content to play in the back yard or house with my other two dogs while I am at work. If he doesn't get enough exercise he will chew, dig, destroy anything he can get his paws on :rolleyes: I enrolled Leo in obedience class the day after I got him as I knew we would need some help to channel his energy into something constructive. He is very smart and food oriented so has been fairly easy to train. I plan on doing some agility with him in the future as I too have heard they are good with it.

Based on my experience with Leo I would get another Catahoula or Catahoula cross. Good luck with what ever type of dog you choose

Glen Jass
August 8th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Hey thanks for the pictures, shows me what size they will get and that it will be no problem for her to inherit the couch...Just got one question, my old dog used to smell butts when it was awake...Is it just Leo that smells em at night..or is it just the breed.
Ya if you don't spend enought time and exercise with them all dogs can be destructive at times, I think its there own way of trying to get attention.
Well thanks again for the pictures, if you get the couch back let me know
:rolleyes:

blue_belle
October 6th, 2004, 06:23 PM
I just wanted to let you know that the Catahoula is a great dog. Definately not for a first time owner though. I have been fortunate enough to work with a couple. They are tough little dogs with a mind of their own. Smart as heck. They'll be training most people in no time.

Just think about that. If you still think they will fit into your life, great. They are an amazing dog.

Take care and good luck.

PS Every dog is different so perhaps you should find several breeders and check the parents out and ask lots of questions.

heeler's rock!
October 7th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Hey Glen Jass! Have you found a dog yet? If not, another great breed is an Australian Cattle Dog, or a Heeler. I'm not being biased, even though I own 2 crosses, but I find them to be great with people they know, buy wary of strangers, unbelievebly loyal, and just as smart as borders, I also own a border. Just a thought. Let us know how your hunt is going! :)

Here is a rescue site that rescues dogs from reserves in Alberta. That's where I got my oldest heeler from. www.arf.ab.ca

Glen Jass
June 29th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Well I have found a Catahoula, in Bragg Creek at the animal rescue fondation.
I want to thank you all for the information on the the traits of them. ( She is still trying to teach me) They are very intelligent, stubborn, and possesive so her and the wife make a good fit. lol.

They are very energetic and have a mind of their own, as for the growl when someone goes toward the yard is VERY intimidating, but will whine if she knows the person. Very protective of the yard and her little puppy buddies.
A friend was giving his pup a pat on the butt and my dog got her nose in the way and had the look of Hey, dont do that.

Well thank again for the information

Here is a picture of her

dogznfish
June 29th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Good to see you found a buddy! Did you get her from what ARF psoted as the "Catahooligans" litter? I've been watching their website for quite some time. It's nice to know where some of these dogs I see online end up.

KarenM
June 29th, 2005, 05:55 PM
We just adopted a Catahoula male last night (we are waiting until he's 8 weeks old before we pick him up) and the owners were very knowledgeable about the breed, as they come from generations of Catahoula owners - (this is for the guy who was asking about them in Southern Alberta). We have an Akita who is now 1 year old and the biggest sweetheart in the world (but not out of luck out of a LOT OF SOCIALIZING and time, and will always be that way). As a 'tougher breed' owner I can honestly say the best advice you will ever get from anyone about considering a new dog is socializing them as much as you can. Get them used to people and places, and other dogs. If you want some more information on Catahoulas I can give you the breeders email address and you can ask away!! my email is karen.makin@fluor.com Hope this helps!! The breeder has 8 pups left too and they are ADORABLE!!