Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yet Another Cat Fight

claw
March 18th, 2009, 11:43 AM
A couple of months ago i rescued a stray cat that was hanging around my house. He is doing quite well with my family and I and no one in the house is allergic to him, which is great because my grandmother, mom, and brother are all allergic to cats normally.

He is a great cat except for one problem. I live with my parents in the country on an acreage and there are MANY other stray wild cats running around. Karlton (my cat) is a male and not neutered. I had an appointment at the vet to get him neutered about 2 months ago but my father decided that it's animal cruelty to neuter him and forced me to cancel the appointment.

Because he is not neutered he keeps getting into fights with a very large black male wild cat. I think it has been up to four fights already. He always comes in the house all bloody, smelly, and dirty. I had the "pleasure" of actually witnessing a fight between Karlton and the other cat last night. All i can say is that it was not pretty.

I need some adivce on what to do here. The only thing i can think of is to not let him go outside, but that's not an option. He loves going outside and i think it's good for him. I don't want to come home one day and find him dead. I love him too much.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

14+kitties
March 18th, 2009, 12:03 PM
A subject like this one just burns me big time. I will apologize now for being a b ***ch.
If you want to keep your cat that you love so much alive keep him inside. No ands, ifs or buts. I just had a three year old feral cat that I have been feeding since she was a baby put down last week because she was hit by a car. I can not tell you how heart breaking it was/is. Yes, I can. I bawled when I picked her up off the road. I bawled all the way to the vets. I bawled when the vet put the needles in her leg. I bawled bringing her back home to bury her. I bawled for the next two days almost non stop. I am bawling now. She had litter after litter before I was finally able to catch her last year and get her fixed. She at least got to live the last seven or eight months of her life without having a litter to look after.
Your father saying that it is cruel to fix a cat...... :wall: Please ask him to do some research into the cat over population. Maybe when he reads about the millions of cats that are euthanized in a year..... maybe when he reads about the heartbreak people who rescue these cats go through when they can't fix them because they are so sick from inbreeding, maybe when he reads about the chances of outdoor cats living past five years old because they get so sick from fighting with other cats. Maybe if he finds out that cats who have been fixed have a tendency to live longer, healthier lives... Maybe....
You know it's the right thing to do to get him fixed. Please find a way to do it. If Karlton likes going outside so much take him out on a harness. Don't leave him alone. Spend some time with him outside. Why is it good for him? Is it good for him to go out and get into fights? Is it good for him to risk getting sick? Is it good for him to risk getting hit by a car. Maybe. I guess if he keeps up on this path you will soon be finding out just how much you did love him....... as you bury him.
I could go on and on and on.......
I am sorry if this sounds harsh. Sometimes harsh is what it takes to wake people up.

onster
March 18th, 2009, 12:10 PM
:grouphug::grouphug: 14+kitties.

Claw, 14+ really said it how it is. It sounds like you really love your cat but you just dont know better (ive been there and Im not judging you).

Neuter him and try to keep inside. its for the best.

Is there a humane society/organization in your town that might look into TNR (trapping neutering and releasing) for the stray cats?

sugarcatmom
March 18th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I had an appointment at the vet to get him neutered about 2 months ago but my father decided that it's animal cruelty to neuter him and forced me to cancel the appointment.

It's animal cruelty to NOT neuter him and keep allowing him to get into fights that are jeopardizing his health and life.

dmc123
March 18th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Well said 14+ - please listen to her advice, Claw.

Best wishes for you and your cat.

Diane

claw
March 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the responses. I just have to clarify one thing. I am still in highschool, i'm 18 and in grade 11. When i am away at school my grandmother or whoever is home in the day lets him outside. It doesn't matter how many times i tell them not to let him outside they still do it or give me some excuse such as "he slipped out the door before i could do anything." I even tell them "please don't let him out, he just got into a fight" or "i really don't want him getting into any more fights, please don't let him out." It doesn't matter what i say, they won't listen to me. They all think that i'm being stupid and paranoid. I'm the only vegan animal lover in my family so they think that my beliefs are stupid.

There was a short period of time where he didn't go outside at all and that ended because my dad told me that i am trapping him in the house and denying him his freedom.

The people living in my house sabotage everything i try to do or don't respect my wishes for this cat.

14+kitties
March 18th, 2009, 12:28 PM
claw - I feel for you. Really I do. But that isn't helping Karlton. Can you put him in your room when you aren't there to watch him? You could set up a litterbox, food, water, a bed and he would be quite happy I bet. It's tough to be 18 and not have much of a say on matters concerning pet's health.
Where abouts do you live? Maybe there is a program nearby that can help out. If you are close enough I would be willing to help. Sometimes all it takes is to sit down with dad and have a nice long talk.

Just have to add. Please tell your dad you are not "denying him his freedom." You are saving his life.

claw
March 18th, 2009, 02:05 PM
claw - I feel for you. Really I do. But that isn't helping Karlton. Can you put him in your room when you aren't there to watch him? You could set up a litterbox, food, water, a bed and he would be quite happy I bet. It's tough to be 18 and not have much of a say on matters concerning pet's health.
Where abouts do you live? Maybe there is a program nearby that can help out. If you are close enough I would be willing to help. Sometimes all it takes is to sit down with dad and have a nice long talk.

I can put him in my room, but the only thing is that he will probably sit by the door all day and meow very loudly until my grandmother decides that it's too annoying and lets him out. And this is not the kind of woman that you can negociate with. What she says goes and if you have a problem with it she'll put you in your place, even if she's wrong.

I live in Manitoba, 45 minutes away from Winnipeg.

After my dad made me cancel the neuter appointment he called me on the phone and wanted to talk about it. He said that he didn't want me to do it because Karlton is an older cat and that it will be very traumatizing for him if i get him neutered so late in his life. I could try talking to him, it's just that i have found from past experiences that once he has decided on something and you try to explain yourself it's like talking to a brick wall, no matter how good of an arguement you put in.

But, i have come to a decission. I'm 18 years old and i'm sick of being told what i can and can not do. Karlton is my cat. I rescued him. I'm the only one who really cares about him. The rest of the family don't really care what happens to him. If we were talking about my dog here it would be a totally different story. I have decided that i am going to get him neutered. I don't care what my dad says. There is a very low chance of him even finding out that i'm doing it because my father is a long distance truck driver so he is home maybe every two weeks for one day. Also my mom has no problem with it. The only reason he found out about it last time was because i put a piece of paper on the fridge with Karlton's appointment information on it.

I'm taking Karlton to the vet today to get booster shots and so that the vet can make sure he's ok. I'm also going to schedule the neuter when i'm there. But, not before i give him a bath. :D

I hope this sounds good to everyone. :fingerscr Let me know what you think.

Jim Hall
March 18th, 2009, 02:08 PM
its sounds great thenk you fpr being a good keeper

14+kitties
March 18th, 2009, 02:11 PM
:thumbs up Good on you! I am proud of you! I hate that you have to go behind your dad's back to do it but still....... THANK YOU!!!!!!!! :highfive: An older cat may take a while longer to heal but he will be fine.

I am sorry I don't live close enough to you to be of any help in TNR the strays. That is so sad there are so many around. :sad: Have you checked to see if there are any rescues around your area who do TNR (trap, neuter, release)? I am sure if they knew there were so many around your area they would be glad to help out.

sugarcatmom
March 18th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I hope this sounds good to everyone. :fingerscr Let me know what you think.

Sounds great!! I admire your tenacity and maturity about this situation. Good on ya! :thumbs up

14+kitties
March 18th, 2009, 02:15 PM
There is a TNR run through the humane Society in Winnipeg. Maybe if you call they can tell you if there are programs closer to you?

http://www.winnipeghumanesociety.ca/animal_Issues_And_News/TNR_Program.php

claw
March 18th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I'll look into it. :)

Now i am off to give Karlton a nice warm and bubbly bath. :laughing:

Shaykeija
March 18th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I am a strong believer in don't ask don't tell. Your dad will not even realize the cat is neutered.

claw
March 18th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I am a strong believer in don't ask don't tell. Your dad will not even realize the cat is neutered.

My thoughts exactly.

I took Karlton to the vet and he's totally fine. The vet said that it looks like he has gained some weight though. :laughing: That's ok he's still fit.

I thought i would take some pictures at bathtime and share it.

This is when Karlton sneakily got away from me and jumped out of the tub.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/Clawzz/th_Karlton-afterbath002.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/Clawzz/?action=view&current=Karlton-afterbath002.jpg)

Here he is waiting for me to fill the tub with clean water so that we could rinse. :D
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/Clawzz/th_Karlton-afterbath003.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/Clawzz/?action=view&current=Karlton-afterbath003.jpg)

...and finally in his mickey mouse towel all dried off. :p
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/Clawzz/th_Karlton-afterbath004.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/Clawzz/?action=view&current=Karlton-afterbath004.jpg)

ancientgirl
March 18th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I'm sorry, but according to your dad it's traumatizing to get him neutered because he's older, yet it's okay for him to be outside and get into fight after fight?

When I found out my first cat was killed by the dog next door, and didn't just run away I cried my eyes out. My father got angry at me, he told me that it was just a cat, and people don't cry for animals. My mom was sick and I needed to worry for her not a cat. I love my father, but I never forgave him saying that. Now though, I don't know if it's because he's older or if because he experience losing his own little dog, but he now realizes how hurt I was and how much my cat meant to me. He even goes so far as to now and then ask me "how are the kids?" I can only hope that some day in the future your father sees the light.

I feel for you. You are trying to help Karlton, yet you live with people who apparently don't care about him, and that's hard.

Those pictures of Karlton are breaking my heart.

If there is a way for you to take him in and not let your dad find out, I think he'll be much happier and less likely to want to go out.

Good luck!

claw
March 18th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I'm sorry, but according to your dad it's traumatizing to get him neutered because he's older, yet it's okay for him to be outside and get into fight after fight?

Yeah, i know. That's exactly what i told my mom.

My mom is the best out of everyone. If i'm not around she makes sure that he gets fed and does what ever else i ask her to do for him. When i ask her not to let him out she's very good about it, but there's always that thing about "he slipped out the door." I find that to be a very bad and annoying excuse.

There was one time when i went to my grandmother and told her that Karlton had gotten into a fight and to please not let him out because he's hurt. It went fine for a while and then i went downstairs to the kitchen to have her tell me that he was whining really loudly so she let him outside. :wall:

Why do i even bother telling her these things when she doesn't ever listen?

I find it so stupid that my dad wouldn't let me neuter Karlton when it's pretty clear that he doesn't give a crap about what happens to him. He always thinks that i'm being stupid or that i don't know what i'm talking about. :mad:

14+kitties
March 18th, 2009, 10:20 PM
He looks like a very sweet kitty. :cloud9: None too happy about being bathed though. I wouldn't do that too often unless you really have to. Cats generally do a good job of keeping themselves clean. :thumbs up

claw
March 18th, 2009, 11:16 PM
He looks like a very sweet kitty. :cloud9: None too happy about being bathed though. I wouldn't do that too often unless you really have to. Cats generally do a good job of keeping themselves clean. :thumbs up

He is sweet. He is very tired after the vaccinations. It's cute.
I only give him baths after he's been in a fight.