- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


trouble breathing, lump in throat,

March 17th, 2009, 11:46 PM
As I'm located in London Ontario. I have a 8 year old Collie/Lab cross. for the last three week she has had a runny nose. I thought that she just got a cold. As the weather has been changing. Last sat I noticed that she started to have a hard time breathing. I'm concerned about her but sadly I don't have the money to get her looked at until friday. Tonight I noticed that she wasn't eating. I got her to go over to her food dish and she looked like she could reach the bowl. I lifted the bowl up to her and she went nuts. Eating really fast. Like she hadn't eaten for about three days. Then I notice that she has a lump in her throat. I don't know what it is. She will eat if the bowl is up to her mouth. Now that I'm think about it she is drinking alot more then nomal.
Now that I'm putting things together now. I did clean up puke spot last week. But it was just bile. runny yellow stuff. I don't know what this could be and I'm very scared. I have to work tonight so I couldn't take her in. I'm going to the vets in the morning. Does anyone know or think they know what it would be. Does any one know how much I will need.

March 18th, 2009, 12:12 AM
If she is having trouble breathing and eating she definately needs to see a vet asap.

I would suggest when you bring her in tomorrow, ask the vet office manager if you can make a partial payment tomorrow & then pay the rest on friday or if you can use a post dated cheque.

:goodvibes: please update us on how she's doing

March 18th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm just soooo scared... I love her sooo much. I will use my hole pay check on friday.

March 18th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Good luck with your dog. I hope she doesn't have anything serious. Maybe she has a bug. I know I spent the past month with mine sick with some bacteria in their tummy, and I spoke with someone the other day who has a cat that went through the same thing.

Could be she picked something up with the change of weather. :shrug:

Please let us know what the vet says.:goodvibes:

March 19th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Hi there :yell:
Just wanted to give an update on what the vet said today. I told Jazz into the vets and they did blood work and xrays. After three long hours they called me and we drove back out there. :cry:
The vet stated that her red and white blood count was low. The red blood count meant that she wasn't getting enough blood. Which could mean cancer or advanced phenomia. The White blood cell count could mean infection or Cancer. :cry:Sadly that is alot of talk about cancer. Cancer has haunted my family for many years. I have lost my mother, grandmother, Grandfather, many aunt and uncles. And more if we count my husbands family.

Then the Dr showed us the Xrays. It wasn't good. she is having a hard time breathing and lowering her head down to eat her food. I thought that she could have got into the garbage. The Dr showed us that from under her throat down the esophagus all the way to her stomach. You couldn't even see her heart. It didn't even look like her had one. You could see that her food was traveling down the tube and into her stomach. Also see that her food was going through right down to her bowels. All Organs came back in working order with no problems found.

So the vEt stated that it could be Cancer or an infection. We had the choice to pay $400 for an ulersound. That would tell us if it is a tumor or just a mass of fluid, But that could be a waste of money as if the antibiotic works and she gets better. She I picked the antibiotic. The Vet said that I should see a difference by Monday. I'm soo scared. I don't want to loss my best friend. She is only 8 years old. She will be 9 in May. I can't believe that this is happening. I'm so upset. I hate the waiting game. I have asked my self so many questions and are trying to piece everything together. To see if I could have caught this earlier. As she has been breathing rough for about a month now. I really thought that it was just the weather change. I wish I caught is earlier. The vet stated that he doesn't really know if it would have made a diffence. I think he was just trying to make me feel better. :angel2::cry:
I have taken her to the local dog park, maybe she caught something there. Maybe its just a cold that have got really bad. Do I think the worse and hope the news is better. I don't know what to think anymore. I want just to lay with her. but it makes her hot and then she wants to move away. Now she won't even lay down. She stands up all the time. And wants to be outside. My other dog knows that something is wrong as Jazz won't play with him. He really doesn't even go near her. Just to lick her. I have n ever seen my two dogs love each other soo much, even my cat are trying to get close to her. Jazz wants nothing to do with them. Of course.
I wish the best for her. I wish I had endless amounts of money. But I vet has already told me that if it doesn't clear up by Monday. That is doesn't look good. That there wouldn't be alot of time as of how much space the what ever is taken up in her chest. That part really made me scared. As I don't know if he is just giving me false hope.
Please Pray for Jazzmin.:fingerscr

March 19th, 2009, 11:39 PM
:goodvibes: for Jazz :goodvibes:

March 19th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Healing vibes for your baby:pray:

March 27th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Jazz has Canine Lymphoma. Is what the Vet has stated that she has. He would need to do many tests. I don't want to put her thru that.; I can't belive this is happening. I don't know how to deal with this. I can't get over the feeling that there is or was something that I could have done. I know that the other owner of her puppies will be calling and asking questions. I don't know how to answer them. 8 years is just not long enough time with her. I couldn't put her down today. As I had to have more time with her. I don't know what to do with my other dog and animals. Do I take my other dog to the vets as well. To say good bye. He already know something is going on. As everyone that comes over is cryong and very upset.
What do you guys think? What can I do to make this greiving process better for me and everyone?

March 27th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I'm so sorry. Please don't blame yourself, animals are so good at hiding their ailments it is doubtful if there were any indications until now. Did the vet seem to think it was 100% lymphoma or are there other possibilities? Did he say if Jazz is in pain?

You know your dog better than anyone and will be able to see quite clearly if his quality of life is waning. We want them with us as long as possible but not at any cost. Try to put your feelings to one side - I know, easy to say - and consider him first. I already know you love him enough to do it.

I firmly believe doggie companions grieve as we do. You should give your other dog lots of attention and distractions during this period, get him out of the house, rather than let him mope too much. It will be good for both of you.

My heart goes out to you.

March 27th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Thanks for you support and concern. I'm finding it really hard. my husband and other family members wanted to put her down right then and there. I can';t see my self with out her. I don;t want to. I don't know if she is in pain or not but I do know that she isn't happy. She wags her tail and want to do things. Now she is having a hard time getting up and sliding on the floor. I don't think that med or chemo would even make a difference now. The vet stated that from his experience, he thinks it is Canine Lymphoma. He would have to do a lot of test to make sure. I don't want to put her thru that. She is a very good dog. everyone looks up to her and how we have trianed her.