Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hate Mail

TulipRoxy
March 17th, 2009, 10:20 PM
So I recently started a blog to talk about all things pet. Its small and not many people read it. I have written posts about everything from training to health care, including a few on feeding raw. Most people that comment are close family and friends....and I've had a lot of support.

I recently, however recieved an evil, hateful comment to my post on Dental care for pets. In the post I talked about the harmful effects of poor dental health and stated that there are two schools of thought on keeping teeth clean... that most conventional vets reccomend brushing while some more holistically orientated ones suggest feeding raw bones. I tried to keep it unbiased, listing the pros and cons of each.

I deleted the comment on my post as soon as I had read it but it was horrible. She accused me of endangering the lives of innocent animals and said that people were just gonna take a turkey neck and throw it to their dog cause that's what they read on the internet.

I realize there are crazy people out there...but I wasnt prepared for this! I try to respect everyones views but it is my blog...and therefore my forum, no.
Maybe I should include a disclaimer...I dunno anymore.

14+kitties
March 17th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Y'know, people are gonna believe what they are gonna believe. Not much anyone can do to change it. I had a customer the other day who told me she gave her dog raw meat when she was cooking. Great! But, she was horrified when I asked about chicken. Oh no! You can't give an animal raw poultry! :eek:
Just let it slide right off you like water. In the grand scheme of things it just doesn't matter.

hazelrunpack
March 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Your always going to run into the odd duck now and then :shrug: There's a lot of them out there. :rolleyes:

clm
March 17th, 2009, 11:02 PM
It's your blog and you can remove or delete any comments that you feel are rude or hateful. You can put a disclaimer in saying that rudeness will not be tolerated if you like, but in the end, it's yours so do with it what you will. :D
Lots of people out there with nothing better to do than try to make others miserable, not worth wasting words on.

Cindy

Bailey_
March 17th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Keep blogging! For all the rude/hateful comments you may recieve, you'll still be able to encourage, aid, and help more people with their pet. :thumbs up

Scuba
March 18th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Keep doing what you love as long as it is not impacting negatively on other people. You already talk about both schools of thoughts and list the pros and cons of either. It is then up to the individual owner to make their own informed judgement. There are lots of people out there who are going to take offence whether any was meant or implied does not matter. Maybe this person didn't get the required numbers of hugs as a child and hence all that pent up anger.

Even when you are trying to do the right thing or educate someone. There are those who think they know better. I remember a while ago I told a gentleman, whom I saw feeding his dog raisins that it was detrimental to the dog's health. He told me to "f@$k off and mind my own business", and I did.

Don't dwell on it and just do something that makes you feel good.

TulipRoxy
March 18th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Maybe this person didn't get the required numbers of hugs as a child and hence all that pent up anger.

Lol! Thank you so much Scuba and everyone here! It's nice to know that there are people out there that support me and understand.

It just sucks to spend lots of time writing posts that you hope will help people only to receive hate mail! I gotta toughen up.

After all what's one bad comment in the sceme of things....

ancientgirl
March 18th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Put a disclaimer saying any rudeness will not be tolerated, no second chances and all trolls will be banned for life.

It's YOUR blog, and you can write what you like. It's like TV, if you don't like the program, then change the channel, don't break the TV.

Some people just have no idea what common courtesy is. She could have let her disagreement known in a more adult and non-confrontational way.

I've realize in my dealings with people on the internet, that there are just miserable people out there. These kind of people only feel better about themselves when they can make others feel like garbage.

This person is a blip on your screen, never to be known to you or given another thought, so don't let it bother you for too long.

Where do you blog? I use live journal mainly.

TulipRoxy
March 18th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Put a disclaimer saying any rudeness will not be tolerated, no second chances and all trolls will be banned for life.

It's YOUR blog, and you can write what you like. It's like TV, if you don't like the program, then change the channel, don't break the TV.

Some people just have no idea what common courtesy is. She could have let her disagreement known in a more adult and non-confrontational way.

I've realize in my dealings with people on the internet, that there are just miserable people out there. These kind of people only feel better about themselves when they can make others feel like garbage.

This person is a blip on your screen, never to be known to you or given another thought, so don't let it bother you for too long.

Where do you blog? I use live journal mainly.

Thanks ancientgirl! I know.. I would not have had an issue if she had said I disagree with you, I dont think that bones are good for pets. But it was the hateful delivery that shocked me!!

I blog with wordpress.... I have like in my sig but I don't know how to make it live :( http://www.myminizoo.wordpress.com

ancientgirl
March 18th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Yeah, she didn't have to be such a butt.

I just joined. :D I added your blog as a subscription.

marko
March 18th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I have a bit of experience in these matters:D

When it comes to hate mail/posts/comments of course delete/ban them; but don't respond past that. Let them move on rather than engage them further. Trust me on that one.

cell
March 18th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Don't get too beat up about it, I see things made in posts that are make me just want to make a railing post but sometimes you have to take a step back and just accept that most people are stupid...:laughing:

Bailey_
March 18th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks ancientgirl! I know.. I would not have had an issue if she had said I disagree with you, I dont think that bones are good for pets. But it was the hateful delivery that shocked me!!

Isn't it unreal how....horrible...people can be when they are behind the protection of their computer screen?? :loser:

Jim Hall
March 18th, 2009, 01:20 PM
oh gee an e mail form an a*** hat on a blog wow sorry but idiots are evrwhere ignore em and they go away

JennieV
March 18th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Don't get too beat up about it, I see things made in posts that are make me just want to make a railing post but sometimes you have to take a step back and just accept that most people are stupid...:laughing:

:confused:

I am sorry, maybe I am naive but I prefer to think that SOME people are stupid, not most. Otherwise its a pretty grim world out there...

I agree however, don't respond and don't beat yourself up about it!! It is your blog and just delete whatever hate mail you get. People, who count - will make an effort to make their concerns heard, in a nice way. Those who just blab away randomly, without giving their words a second thought - well, we can all live without those..! :laughing:

claw
March 18th, 2009, 09:46 PM
All i can say is, MEAN PEOPLE SUCK!

TulipRoxy
March 19th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks for all your support! I will continue to do what I do.. despite the odds!