Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Behavioural Changes -non cat person needs advice for precious kitty.

jaspysmom
March 17th, 2009, 01:10 PM
:cat: HELP! I grew up with dogs I am therefore not familiar with feline behaviour. My little Kitten Jasper was rescued at six weeks old from a wood pile in a field. He has been the perfect pet. He is loving, interactive, obedient. He's very chatty and very smart. We had a problem with him peeing outside the litter x3 times over the span of three weeks not too long ago. I took him to the vet for a urine sample but he check out clean. Doc said it was behavioural. So I made sure to spend more attention on him and to keep his litter super clean and to get him a water fountain so he can constantly have fresh water. These changes seemed favourable to him. But today I go home at lunch and he is sitting in the window looking out with one paw up. I immediately think he must have injured himself but he lets me touch the paw and he walks on it showing no limping or tenderness. He doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort. What is going on with my baby? Does any one have any suggestions?

krdahmer
March 17th, 2009, 02:40 PM
He may have been slapping at something outside the window... I know my dad stirred up some flies the other day while working on his deck... their kitties were then glued to the patio door for most of the afternoon. Keep a close eye on him for limping or signs of pain, but if he seems ok, most likely he is ok.

And as for the peeing, does he only have one place to go? If so, add another box somewhere else in the house, this way if something spooks him near one, he can always go use the other. And :thumbs up on rescuing Jasper! (we love pictures ;) )

sugarcatmom
March 17th, 2009, 02:52 PM
So I made sure to spend more attention on him and to keep his litter super clean and to get him a water fountain so he can constantly have fresh water.

A dirty litter box can certainly be one of the main reasons cats stop using it. Another thing might be to get a second box if you only have one. Lots of cats prefer to have the option of another place to eliminate.

Diet is the biggest factor in male urinary tract health, so if you're only feeding dry food, it would be a good idea to switch to wet. It's the only way to ensure a cat is getting enough water, since they typically have a low thirst drive. There's lots of info on feline nutrition at this site: www.catinfo.org

But today I go home at lunch and he is sitting in the window looking out with one paw up. I immediately think he must have injured himself but he lets me touch the paw and he walks on it showing no limping or tenderness. He doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort. What is going on with my baby? Does any one have any suggestions?

Is he lifting his paw all the time or just sometimes? How is his running? Can you really inspect his toes, like separate them and feel in between them and press on the top of his toes to unsheath the claw? If he was only lifting his paw while looking out the window, it could be that he wanted something he saw outside (like fat juicy birdies). I know my cat will get excited watching the birds at the bird feeder and sometimes he paws the air in anticipation of "catching" one. Maybe your cat is doing something similar?

ETA - duh-oh! Kdrahmer beat me.