-->

Iraqi workers wage war on Baghdad's stray dogs

Chris21711
March 17th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I read this this morning, I cried and felt sick to my stomach :sad:

http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/603350

NoahGrey
March 17th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Yes Animal Cruelty is rampant in those parts of the world. This is why we need to look at Animal Cruelty as a whole. I mean look at China, Japan, etc.

Also..anyone else find it sad that the program is runned by the Veterinary Services??

Education is the key...too bad we could not do a Animal Control without boarders.

ACO22

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
March 19th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Yes Animal Cruelty is rampant in those parts of the world. This is why we need to look at Animal Cruelty as a whole. I mean look at China, Japan, etc.

Also..anyone else find it sad that the program is runned by the Veterinary Services??

Education is the key...too bad we could not do a Animal Control without boarders.

ACO22

:thumbs up I am all for a STRICT world-wide animal cruelty law.

LavenderRott
March 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Please remember that you are talking about a completely different culture. In most Middle Eastern countries dogs are not kept as pets and veterinarians are very few and quite far between. Dogs are relatively feral and very often die of some very nasty diseases.

In the U.S. military - veterinary services is not only responsible for the medical well being of military working dogs (and family pets when stationed on bases in the U.S.) but they are also responsible for sanitary services for our troops. This means that the removal of diseased animals - be it rats or dogs - that can infect or injure human beings is part of their pervue.

Ford Girl
March 20th, 2009, 08:53 AM
The page is blank when I click the link??

Chris21711
March 20th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Please remember that you are talking about a completely different culture. In most Middle Eastern countries dogs are not kept as pets and veterinarians are very few and quite far between. Dogs are relatively feral and very often die of some very nasty diseases.

In the U.S. military - veterinary services is not only responsible for the medical well being of military working dogs (and family pets when stationed on bases in the U.S.) but they are also responsible for sanitary services for our troops. This means that the removal of diseased animals - be it rats or dogs - that can infect or injure human beings is part of their pervue.

It still made me sick and I cried, this posting doesn't make me feel any better about it :sad:

The page is blank when I click the link??

I did a search for it FG, couldn't find it :confused: I'm not too good at doing searches :yell:

Jim Hall
March 20th, 2009, 10:37 AM
it makes me very very gratefull i live in a civilised country

NoahGrey
March 20th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Please remember that you are talking about a completely different culture.

Seriously, you are going to play that card? Cruelty is not a cultural thing. The lack of the thought of change, leaves me speechless.

And feral or not, they should be treated the same, no matter what part of the world you live in. Saying or thinking that is it ok, is the reason why this cruetly goes on.

it makes me very very gratefull i live in a civilised country

Yes, but it is up to the civilised country to teach and educate.

ACO22

LavenderRott
March 20th, 2009, 09:35 PM
It isn't a "card", it is a fact. Like it or not, and whether you think it is cruelty or not, there are MANY cultures in the world that view animals that we consider pets in an entirely different light. Some cultures have no use for dogs at all and some think they make a tasty meal. Doesn't mean we have to agree with them.

Sorry to be so blunt but if you want to educate someone about something like this then YOU have to understand the culture that they come from. For the life of her, my Pakistani doctor can not understand why I would have something as filthy as a dog in my home. That is part of her culture. I can't understand how she could possibly think my dog is filthy. That is my culture.

FYI - I never said it was ok.