Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Sex

rana
March 17th, 2009, 09:00 AM
My female dog is neutered and is over a year old. Do they still need to have sex? At what age do they start? I am asking this as my dog is acting weirdly when other dog is present. :shrug: My neighbour has another female and she came over with her dog and my dog started sniffing her and her hind was going front and back as dogs do when they have sex..... first we found it funny and laughed it off calling her a les but everytime she sees the other dog she has been doing the same! She didn't do that before with that dog!

Any inputs please.

Bailey_
March 17th, 2009, 09:29 AM
This has nothing to do with sex, but is a way dogs show dominance. Sounds like your girl has reached the age where she'll want to start to establish her dominance with certain dogs. That's all it is. :)

cell
March 17th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Humping is a part of dog social structure not just in the intent for "sex" Actually "sex" only happens in dogs when a female is in heat which is only twice a year (once in some breeds), that is the only time she will tolerale actual sexual advances from a male. Males will hump othe males females will hump other females as a establishment of who is controlling the situation.

lia12
March 17th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Have to agree with the other posters here. And your female is spayed, not neutered. I have a female and my neighbour has a female, the neighbour's dog is a small sheltie who humps my Shepherd and we all know it's sheer dominance.on her part. She is used to being fussed over and no way is she giving that up. Dogs will sniff butts and heads to check what kind of vibes the other dog is sending also..it's a way of knowing if it's a friendly dog, a dominant dog or aggressive dog, etc. The butt says it all unfortunately....lol.

14+kitties
March 17th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Have to agree with the other posters here. And your female is spayed, not neutered. I have a female and my neighbour has a female, the neighbour's dog is a small sheltie who humps my Shepherd and we all know it's sheer dominance.on her part. She is used to being fussed over and no way is she giving that up. Dogs will sniff butts and heads to check what kind of vibes the other dog is sending also..it's a way of knowing if it's a friendly dog, a dominant dog or aggressive dog, etc. The butt says it all unfortunately....lol.

Umm lia12, sorry to disagree but both males and females get neutered. Females are spayed. The proper name for what males go through is actually castration. I guess neutered just sounds a little nicer.

aslan
March 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I have to agree with the others that it is dominance. And the correct term is Lesbian, and we don't hump.

BenMax
March 17th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I have to agree with the others that it is dominance. And the correct term is Lesbian, and we don't hump.

OMG Alsan!:laughing:

But everyone has given a quality answer. It is not about initiating in sex at all.

rana
March 17th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Thank you everyone for anwering and making it clear. But another question of mine remains does my dog need to be brought in to have breed sex with another male although she is neutered or she has to stay a virgin rest of her life?

Chris21711
March 17th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Thank you everyone for anwering and making it clear. But another question of mine remains does my dog need to be brought in to have breed sex with another male although she is neutered or she has to stay a virgin rest of her life?

Is this question serious :confused:

rana
March 17th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Is this question serious :confused:

Yes please never had a dog 1st time dog owner not even a year yet with her. Thanks

14+kitties
March 17th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Well Chris, it is Spring Break. Too much time of some people's hands I suppose. This person has been a "member" since last year. Very weird.

Rana - on the off chance you really do not know from whence you speak....
the whole purpose of having a dog neutured/castrated/spayed is so that there are no more unwanted puppies. Neuturing an animal takes away all desire to have sex. Pure and simple. The testostorone isn't flowing, the estrous cycle isn't happening. That equals no sex. So yes, your doggie will always and forever remain a virgin. :thumbs up Can't make it any plainer than that.

rana
March 17th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Well Chris, it is Spring Break. Too much time of some people's hands I suppose. This person has been a "member" since last year. Very weird.

the whole purpose of having a dog neutured/castrated/spayed is so that there are no more unwanted puppies. Neuturing an animal takes away all desire to have sex. Pure and simple. The testostorone isn't flowing, the estrous cycle isn't happening. That equals no sex. So yes, your doggie will always and forever remain a virgin. :thumbs up Can't make it any plainer than that.

Thank you very much for your answer, straight to the point and simple.

rainbow
March 17th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the giggles, folks. :D

JennieV
March 17th, 2009, 10:02 PM
:sorry:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thats all I haz to say.... :laughing::laughing:

aslan
March 17th, 2009, 10:08 PM
lol, i love you Jenniev but not in a lesbian way.:laughing:

Longblades
March 19th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Neuturing an animal takes away all desire to have sex.Actually, that's not true either. It's more common when one or the other is experienced and has been bred, not always though, but a neutered male can tie with a neutered or intact female, though it is doubtful the neutered female will let him. They just can't produce a litter.

And no, your female dog does not need to have sex.

Just in case, you do know that it is dangerous to try to separate a tied pair? It's called a "tie" when dogs couple because glands at the base of the male's penis swell essentially tying them together for up to half an hour sometimes. You can cause injury to one or both if you try to force them apart. If the male is neutered the tie probably won't last that long.

14+kitties
March 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Actually, that's not true either. It's more common when one or the other is experienced and has been bred, not always though, but a neutered male can tie with a neutered or intact female, though it is doubtful the neutered female will let him. They just can't produce a litter.

And no, your female dog does not need to have sex.

:rolleyes: Yes Longblades. Thank you very much. I did know that seeing as it works the same with any animal who, once they have had sex, remember it. Cats are the same. I suppose in order to be very specific I should have said IF your dog has experienced sex before then she may miss it. :shrug: But I truly doubt it. It's like dogs humping legs too. Behaviour is a learned thing. The op stated the dog was spayed, never had sex, a virgin. Therefore she will not miss sex or require it. :shrug: Question was answered to OP's satisfaction. Why do you now want to muddy the water?

Longblades
March 20th, 2009, 08:19 AM

the whole purpose of having a dog neutured/castrated/spayed is so that there are no more unwanted puppies. Neuturing an animal takes away all desire to have sex.Poor 14+, you can dish it out but you can't take it, can you? Really, I did not notice this was your post or I would have used the kid gloves.

Sadly, you initiated the muddying of the waters. There is no off chancehere, you have demonstrated conclusively that, you really do not know from whence you speak.... in making this very wrong statement. Sorry Rana, you were much more polite in face of bullying, sarcasm from 14+ than I find myself able to be.

To clarify for those reading who may be misled. Sex may not be the goal but sex can result with neutered males, experienced or not, tying with females. A recently neutered male can even impregnate an intact female. An inexperienced dog owner like the OP needs to be aware.

Rana, I agree, your girl is becoming mature and probably it is just a case of her beginning to assert herself. However, many other dog owners will not take kindly to your dog mounting theirs. I know you didn't say your girl mounted the other dog but it might be what comes next. Your dog is quite big, isn't she? She could hurt a smaller or old dog. Big or not, it is just bad manners. Some owners don't like humping under any circumstances but some of us provide a toy or blanket and allow our dogs, male or female, this outlet.

One last thing. Given your dog's age I think the possibility is remote but a sudden untoward interest in another dog's nether regions, regardless of the sex or neuter status of the initiate or the recipient, can sometimes indicate an infection in the recipient dog. It makes them smell different and arouses some dogs.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dogs-701/neutered-male-tied-intact.htm

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/neutered-dog-mating-19977.html

Just a couple of links where this is mentionned. Ask your Vet to be sure.

aslan
March 20th, 2009, 09:31 AM
woooo (passes out the happy pills). Rana I hope you got the info you needed and all is well with your pupper. Better not let G read this thread she might want to get me spayed.:laughing:

Luvmypitgirls
March 21st, 2009, 10:39 PM
14+, I don't know why there is some "animosity" directed here at you, I found all your replies to be basic and to the point, and without malice.
I read most of your posts on here, and have always found you to be caring and knowlegable.

Now, here's my take on the whole spay/neuter and sex thing.
I was spayed 7 years ago, it certainly "diminished" any desire I had for sex;)
Of course since my procedure, my husband wears one of two faces...
:rolleyes:....for the nights I use a headache as an excuse
and
:frustrated:...for the nights I say, "I just don't wanna!"

14+kitties
March 21st, 2009, 10:55 PM
Aw, thank you very much LMPG. I guess not everyone gets my sense of humour sometimes. I just have to watch what I say so some people don't take offense. OP was satisfied with answer that was given to him. When I said "muddy the waters" I meant "confuse the issue" but it was taken the wrong way. :shrug: Not much I can do about that. This thread has been answered to OP's satisfaction and should now be put to rest.
Thanks again LMPG. :grouphug:

And I must say.............. your hubby's faces look eerily similar to ones my hubby wears. :D

'Night

Luvmypitgirls
March 21st, 2009, 11:14 PM
:2huggers: back at ya!

Nighters!

PS...LOL @ your hubby's faces being eerily similar to my hubbys...he'll be glad to learn he's not the only one:laughing:

Mat&Murph
March 21st, 2009, 11:39 PM
HAHAHA My hubby has the same look as I was spayed 4 years ago. The men need to join their own forum!!!

Sorry OP. Off topic. I agree with the other posters regarding your main questions

Luvmypitgirls
March 22nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
HAHAHA My hubby has the same look as I was spayed 4 years ago. The men need to join their own forum!!!

Sorry OP. Off topic. I agree with the other posters regarding your main questions

:laughing::laughing:
"our wives were spayed and now we don't get any" forum? lol.