Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Our Hawaiian friend

badger
March 15th, 2009, 08:34 PM
This is Haole (pronounced Howlie, which means roughly 'white man' or more broadly 'stranger', correct me if I'm wrong), who was apparently rescued from the countryside on Molokai. I saw a few strays, who generally manage to survive by hunting. Anyway, Haole has a mother, but he seemed to prefer us, for the food and the lovin' (don't think he got much lovin'), although he continued to hunt, tiny mice, other mammals, I imagine lizards. Even for his breed - which is what? very delicate, as you can see - he was a bit thin, his feet all cracked from travelling around the neighbourhood and stained by the red earth they have there (which is indelible, a dye that needs no fixative), badly in need of worming and there were a few fleas on him, normal given his life.

He loved being a house cat, slept with my sister and her husband; one morning my sister found a huge quantity of bird feathers neatly deposited in the bathroom; no guts, no beak, just feathers. Looked like a mynah, they are everywhere.

Anyway, my sister and I are going to get together some meds for him and this woman's other rescues (there are four). They really should be wormed every 3 months and de-flead occasionally. I noticed lots of OTC pet meds in the grocery store, pretty useless.

There is a tiny Humane Society, a shack with a shipping container adjoining, stranded in the middle of a field. Vets come over from the Big Island (Oahu?) every few months and hold free spay/neuter clinics for dogs and cats. We saw a lot of dogs staked in yards, bored out of their skulls, some angry, beat-up pitbulls, probably 'guard' dogs. I never saw a dog on a leash.

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2009, 09:29 PM
He's a beautiful cat, badger! The woman is an :angel: for taking him and the others in.

So how long were you visiting Molokai?

badger
March 15th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Two short weeks and my family came down from BC so it was brilliant. Things slowed right down. Aside from a couple of drives to see other parts of the island and buy some of their specialities - macadamia nuts, coffee -and eat in the one good restaurant, a Hawaiian dive that served really good breakfasts and, for the carnivores, ribs basted in guava juice, we ate, read, took walks and swam in the sea. There is nothing there except the countryside, the beaches and one small town with a Saturday market (fresh fruit, unbelievable tropical flowers and handmade jewelery). There are some white residents - most are old hippies or people who have hooked up with Hawaiians, who are plenty friendly but not especially interested in courting tourists and fight off the slightest development. Outsiders looking to get rich 'on the backs of the natives' or increase property taxes with their gin palaces are run off (MacAfee, the computer guy, among them), by a population of maybe 8,000. As a result, many of them are quite poor or on welfare, but they like the trade-off. Long may they prevail!

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Wow...I wish we could get some backbone like that here. :D Evidently their statutes support the little guy!

Sounds heavenly :cloud9:

14+kitties
March 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM
The kitty is beautiful! Or handsome I suppose. It's great how you just seem to draw the kitties in no matter where you go. It's also great that you got away for two weeks to relax. :thumbs up Welcome back!

badger
March 16th, 2009, 03:08 AM
One more picture:

ancientgirl
March 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM
What a delicate little guy, and quite handsome.