Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Post Head Injury Rehabilitation for Cats

ikitten
March 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Hello

A guitar recently fell on our cat, causing head trauma and cerebral edema. The cat was in bad shape when brought to the vet, and was given anti-inflammatory meds, diuretics and steriods. The cat made an 80% recovery in a day and a half. I am wondering if anyone if there is any literature available on post head injury rehabilitation for cats once they have been discharged home?

Thanks

badger
March 15th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I don't know of any literature but I would think relative quiet, good food and lots of cuddles will be the order of the day. And of course an exclusively indoor life from now on, especially since he will probably not come back 100% and his instincts may be blunted. If there are other cats, make sure they don't stress him in any way and separate him if necessary.
I could be totally wrong about all of this but it sounds pretty serious. Cats will always do what they can, and no more, they are excellent self-regulators (well, maybe not kittens).
Keep us updated on his progress, will you? A picture would be nice.

ikitten
March 19th, 2009, 12:18 AM
The cat is undergoing rehab! I have purchased a small harness and leash, because she is not strong enough to climb down from any height, but she is still feisty enough that she tries to jump on things (and doesn't succeed)! The leash allows me to control where she goes, without having to lock her in the only "safe" room - which is the bathroom.

She definitely has gait issues, as she falls over on her left side a lot. She has head tilt to the left, too. But now she's strong enough to chase a laser beam all over the floor!

I wonder sometimes how her vision is doing, as she seems to be a little "glossy-eyed"...

She started purring again, and meowing too! She meows her frustration and I think that's a good sign. She can move her tail around now and everything.

It is a little odd, the way she paces in circles all day, but we still love her.

Our poor brain-injured cat!!

The vet said, "Cat's are resilient, and can recover from head trauma much better than their human counterparts. Never give up on a cat!"

She may never be back to her old self again, but hopefully she'll get strong enough to live a safe and happy life (as an indoor cat, of course)!

growler~GateKeeper
March 19th, 2009, 12:30 AM
:goodvibes: :goodvibes: for her recovery