Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

update on newbies

14+kitties
March 15th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Well, not much of an update. Just wanted to show the kitties again. Big Guy's face is pretty much cleared up. Still don't like his left eye though. It looks a little funny. Little Guy has some nice scratches on his nose too but they will heal.
I can put my hand in the crate and clean out the litterbox, which they are using very well! I can reach in and get the bowls to refill them. There is a constant growl going on the whole time. I thought it was the big one, then the little one. Hubby thought it was the little one. I now think they are taking turns. Neither one tries to escape or attack. Maybe there is hope. :fingerscr
Hubby asked this morning what I am going to do with them after they are fixed. I said I was going to try to put them in with the others. He said I needed to start pretending not to see new ones. :D We shall see. I am hoping they are healthy and don't carry any diseases.

onster
March 15th, 2009, 12:30 PM
awwww big guy's face looks so much better.

Yay for them using the litterbox and allowing you to reach in without losing any digits :P lol Honestly you are cat whisperer!

does the place where you get them spayed/neutered test for FIV?

Frenchy
March 15th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Good job once again 14+ ! :thumbs up

the big one looks like a raccoon ! :eek: :p

14+kitties
March 15th, 2009, 12:36 PM
No whisperer. I would not ever put myself in that high of a position. I have watched the horse whisperer on TV. Watching what he does with horses is amazing! I don't think I can come close to that. I just love kitties.
I hope they can feel that.
I will ask if they can test for it and Fe Luk while they have the kitties out. It will cost but it's worth it for my peace of mind. I am not rushing to get them to the vet. They have been unfixed for quite a while. I am sure another week or so won't hurt.

ancientgirl
March 15th, 2009, 03:05 PM
14+, the little one looks like Kiska. Big guy just looks scared. I hope they don't have any health issues. They've been through so much already.

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Although they both look ticked off this time, they're looking much better than they were in the first pics! Big Guy, especially. You are a very brave woman to put your vulnerable hands in there! :eek: :D

:fingerscr that they check out healthy!

chico2
March 15th, 2009, 04:34 PM
14+,I love them both,but the Big guy would melt my heart:lovestruck:oh well,who am I kidding,they both do.
Would feral cats use a litterbox,or is this a sign these kitties had a home once??
I think they can feel they have nothing to fear from you,but might not like to be in a crate,feel vulnerable:confused:
Soon they'll realize how lucky they are:cat:I wish my stray would feel my love too and let himself get caught:sad:

Love4himies
March 15th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Ummmm, can you come to my place and help with momma :o? Growling cats scare me.

They are looking great!!!! I can't believe how well you work with ferals. WOW is all I can say.

angeldogs
March 15th, 2009, 06:36 PM
They are looking a little better.that's good that they are only growling well you are doing what you need to do.

14+kitties
March 15th, 2009, 06:43 PM
14+,I love them both,but the Big guy would melt my heart:lovestruck:oh well,who am I kidding,they both do.
Would feral cats use a litterbox,or is this a sign these kitties had a home once??
I think they can feel they have nothing to fear from you,but might not like to be in a crate,feel vulnerable:confused:
Soon they'll realize how lucky they are:cat:I wish my stray would feel my love too and let himself get caught:sad:

The big one does it for me too chico. You can tell by looking at his face he has been through a lot. :sad: I hope I can keep him safe now.:fingerscr
I think the litterbox gets used because they don't want to dirty the blankets. If they had homes, which I really doubt because they look too much like the rest of mine, it was so long ago they probably wouldn't remember boxes.
They may not like the crate but it is home for now.

Good job once again 14+ ! :thumbs up

the big one looks like a raccoon ! :eek: :p

Must be the glowing eyes!

Ummmm, can you come to my place and help with momma :o? Growling cats scare me.

They scare me too. Believe me. When they start to growl too much I just tell them to shush in a firm voice. Surprisingly it usually works. :shrug:

Love4himies
March 15th, 2009, 06:49 PM
The big one does it for me too chico. You can tell by looking at his face he has been through a lot. :sad: I hope I can keep him safe now.:fingerscr

I hope so too, it is much to short of a life living outdoors

I think the litterbox gets used because they don't want to dirty the blankets. If they had homes, which I really doubt because they look too much like the rest of mine, it was so long ago they probably wouldn't remember boxes.
They may not like the crate but it is home for now.

Must be the glowing eyes!

They scare me too. Believe me. When they start to growl too much I just tell them to shush in a firm voice. Surprisingly it usually works. :shrug:

I will try that, but I have seen an angry momma and it isn't pretty.

14+kitties
March 15th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Yeah, I have seen some pretty angry moms too. Li'l Momma :sad: was the best mom. Fiercely protective of her babies. I usually only got to touch them when she was out mousing. Remember Stormy last year with TT, Chip and Dayle? Remember how crotchety she was? They have to protect their babies.
Baby needs supplementing so I guess you will just have to be "angrier" than her.

rhartjr
March 16th, 2009, 12:26 AM
It's a great thing you're doing for those guys 14+. Looks like it will take a bit of patience on your part, but they will come around. Best of luck.

krdahmer
March 16th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Aw they look great! Big guy's face is so much better... and they look a little less angry... :rolleyes::laughing: They always get over the crating, the good food and memories of warmth and soft voices usually outweigh the scary cage. It's too bad they don't make larger cages (maybe hubby needs a new project? ;) you need a larger interim pen for the garage) then you could put in something they could hide in while you change litter and food, but then it's also good they can't hide so they are seeing that you're nice and mean them no harm too. :shrug:

Anyhow I may stop in Friday evening if you'll be home (hubby and I are cleaning out the truck in Waterloo- finally sold the bugger!!!!:thumbs up)

14+kitties
March 16th, 2009, 06:18 PM
It's a great thing you're doing for those guys 14+. Looks like it will take a bit of patience on your part, but they will come around. Best of luck.

Thanks rhartjr! I think in another month or so they may start coming around.... :D (or sooner)!

Aw they look great! Big guy's face is so much better... and they look a little less angry... :rolleyes::laughing: They always get over the crating, the good food and memories of warmth and soft voices usually outweigh the scary cage. It's too bad they don't make larger cages (maybe hubby needs a new project? ;) you need a larger interim pen for the garage) then you could put in something they could hide in while you change litter and food, but then it's also good they can't hide so they are seeing that you're nice and mean them no harm too. :shrug:

Anyhow I may stop in Friday evening if you'll be home (hubby and I are cleaning out the truck in Waterloo- finally sold the bugger!!!!:thumbs up)

I would rather I could see them when I am working in their cage thanks hon! I would be afraid they would attack from a hiding spot. This way, like you said, they can see me, I see them, it's all good. :thumbs up
Hubby doesn't need any more projects. He needs to finish the ones he has on the go first! And he is starting to get busier so not much free time.
Friday........ think I am at home. I work till noon so will be home afterward. Unless they change my shift or something. Give me a shout on Thurs and let me know. Or leave a message on Fri. Will be nice to see you again!

growler~GateKeeper
March 16th, 2009, 11:17 PM
14+ looks like they're already coming around a little :) No movement while you're doing what needs doing in the crate :thumbs up

These 2 may never be lovey but it doesn't sound like they'll fight you either

Chris21711
March 18th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Any updates on how the new guys are doing 14k?

14+kitties
March 18th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks for asking Chris. They are doing well so far. They won't eat food as long as I am in the garage but once I am out they sure wolf it down. I leave some dry in for them too. They eat some of it but love the canned. That's good. The little one is a real fighter. He spits and claws come out and growls any time I try getting too close to them. I still pull out the litterbox every day and clean it. I can bring the dishes out to clean and fill. They just stay at the back of the crate and watch. Little guy growling all the while. Don't think I will ever be able to make friends with these two.
The big guy.... his eye seems a little better. His face healed nicely. He is quite shy but the way he reacts to me I am wondering if he is a drop off from years back. He seems to remember people. :shrug: Does that sound weird?
I have been trying an experiment to see how they would react to me putting my hand close. I have some old drumsticks of my stepsons in the garage so I have been putting one in and "petting" them with it. The little one hates it. He snaps at the stick and bites hard! :eek: It isn't bad if it's on his back though. Big Guy isn't too bad until I put the stick near his neck. Then he bites down on it too. I am hoping if I show them that I am not out to hurt them eventually they will get better.
I am still giving them a couple of weeks before I put them through the stress of getting fixed. :laughing: Probably more stressful on me trying to get them from the crate into separate carriers!!
Kitty McKat on the other hand nailed me a good one this morning. His claw got caught on my jacket sleeve, he panicked and bit my arm. I have a nice bruise from that. Will keep an eye on it. Must say I am glad I was wearing a coat. :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
March 18th, 2009, 03:10 PM
14+, that's great to hear they are doing well. Wow, I remember when you first trapped them it was the big guy that you were worried about right? Now we see it's the little guy who we thought was sweet and shy going all medieval on you. :laughing:

hazelrunpack
March 18th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Always an adventure, eh, 14+? So the bite from Kitty McKat didn't break the skin but bruised you through your coat? :eek: Owie!!!

It sounds like the two newbies are doing well, though. So will you just have them neutered and then release them, or will they be joining KMK?

14+kitties
March 18th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I tell ya', I would like one week with nothing out of the ordinary happening. Just one boring week. :D Kind of how I would imagine you feel at times.

hazel - plan is to get them fixed, keep them in the crate until they are well healed, then try to put them in the catuary with the rest. I can't put them right in the little house with KMK because there would be too much fighting. I figure there may be enough room in the catuary everyone could find their own space. At least that's what I'm hoping. I want to build a few little shelters over there too so there is somewhere for them all to go in bad weather. We shall see. I am not rushing into this. I want to get them as comfortable as possible.

And yes, just a little bruise. If I wouldn't have had a jacket on his teeth would have connected a little better.

AG - Just like everyone said. The little guy is a little devil. :D

hazelrunpack
March 18th, 2009, 04:28 PM
So is the fence all fixed and the catuary cats out in the 'yard', now? :D

Chris21711
March 18th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks for asking Chris. They are doing well so far. They won't eat food as long as I am in the garage but once I am out they sure wolf it down.

I don't like people watching me eat either :rolleyes:

Little guy growling all the while. Don't think I will ever be able to make friends with these two.

You never know Gerri, weirder things have happened and you have your special touch and lots of knowledge :pray:

The big guy.... his eye seems a little better. His face healed nicely. He is quite shy but the way he reacts to me I am wondering if he is a drop off from years back. He seems to remember people. :shrug: Does that sound weird?

No, doesn't sound weird at all, glad that his eye is looking a little better :thumbs up

I have been trying an experiment to see how they would react to me putting my hand close. I have some old drumsticks of my stepsons in the garage so I have been putting one in and "petting" them with it. The little one hates it. He snaps at the stick and bites hard! :eek: It isn't bad if it's on his back though. Big Guy isn't too bad until I put the stick near his neck. Then he bites down on it too. I am hoping if I show them that I am not out to hurt them eventually they will get better.

Maybe a different tool might be more accepting to them, something soft on the end of a stick or whatever...maybe
I am still giving them a couple of weeks before I put them through the stress of getting fixed. :laughing: Probably more stressful on me trying to get them from the crate into separate carriers!!

I'll lend you Ethel :laughing: Are you going to be taking them to TCR?

Kitty McKat on the other hand nailed me a good one this morning. His claw got caught on my jacket sleeve, he panicked and bit my arm. I have a nice bruise from that. Will keep an eye on it. Must say I am glad I was wearing a coat. :rolleyes:

Keep a good eye on it, you know too well how bites can turn out, you really must get some kind of glove to protect yourself 14k.

Please keep us updated...well ME :D

angeldogs
March 18th, 2009, 04:50 PM
If you have a princess auto near you they sell welding gloves and have good sales on them.this way your forearm will be covered also.

chico2
March 18th, 2009, 05:03 PM
14+,did KittyMcCat come from Badger?
I keep wondering about her,why she is so scared she bites?
I must have forgotten her story,I just got my Seniors Card from the government,so I have to be forgiven if I forget:laughing:
I assume Big Guy is older than Little Guy,maybe that's why he's calmer,happy to be safe:confused:

14+kitties
March 18th, 2009, 05:13 PM
So is the fence all fixed and the catuary cats out in the 'yard', now? :D

Umm, no. But the posts are in! Hubby is doing some bartering to get guys in who know how to put up the fence better than he does. Hopefully soon. I keep saying that, don't I?

Keep a good eye on it, you know too well how bites can turn out, you really must get some kind of glove to protect yourself 14k.

:thumbs up It's ok. No broken skin. Just a bruise. His teeth just caught the right way.
Please keep us updated...well ME :D

You betcha!

If you have a princess auto near you they sell welding gloves and have good sales on them.this way your forearm will be covered also.

Thanks angeldogs!

14+,did KittyMcCat come from Badger?
I keep wondering about her,why she is so scared she bites?
I must have forgotten her story,I just got my Seniors Card from the government,so I have to be forgiven if I forget:laughing:
I assume Big Guy is older than Little Guy,maybe that's why he's calmer,happy to be safe:confused:

KMK is the one that krdahmer found last year in her yard chico. I have had him since then. I am not sure what his issues are but I suspect he was very abused wherever he was before. He flinches if I move too fast. :sad: When he bit me this morning the first thing he did was crouch down and flinch like he thought I would hit him. I am still working on him. :D
Big Guy is older than Little Guy for sure. I don't know if that is why he is a little calmer or if it's all an act. :rolleyes:

Grumpy
March 20th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Big guy looks very sweet.... looking comfortable.. little one still look a bit scared tho...

Chris21711
March 26th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I was wondering how the New Boys in Town are doing 14k....any news :confused:

14+kitties
March 26th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Still haven't made an appt for them to go get snipped. I am thinking another couple of weeks to get them used to me. It might make it a little easier to get them into the carriers.
The big guy is not happy but I can scratch his back end through the crate and he doesn't do anything. You can see his eyes glittering a little but he makes no move. I think that's a good thing. He won't eat when I am in there. I know he's eating though. There is no way one kitty makes the mess I have to clean out of the litter box every day. :yuck: I didn't think two kitties had that much in them!
Little Guy - growly, hissy, spitty, claws out, swiping, and everything else you expect of a feral kitty. :) He lets me know he is not happy with me coming in. No way would I try to scritch his butt! :eek: Funny, I gave them some hearts the other day and today and he started munching on them right away. The big one doesn't. He waits until I am out.
"Debate" going on here on whether or not they go to the catuary (my choice) or they get released (hubby's choice). Now that I know they are there I would prefer the catuary. I am just not sure they would be happy there. Oh well, we have time to make a decision in a few weeks. No hurry.

rainbow
March 26th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Another thread that I missed :o and I obviously missed another before this :o as I didn't even know about these two. :o :o

It sounds like it is going to take a while for them to come around but I'm sure with all your patience and knowledge it will happen. :goodvibes: You are one amazing lady. :angel:

chico2
March 26th, 2009, 04:31 PM
14+,so the little one is feisty,eh,he's probably completely feral and the cute older guy might have had a home at one time:confused:
I think he's comfortable not having to look for food and fight with other cats.
It's strange though,how the 2 of them seem attached:confused:

Chris21711
March 26th, 2009, 04:37 PM
One step at a time right 14k, before any decisions are made. Do you think if you put them in separate crates the little guy might calm down a bit, maybe he thinks he has to defend the other one......just a random thought.

14+kitties
March 26th, 2009, 04:55 PM
One step at a time right 14k, before any decisions are made. Do you think if you put them in separate crates the little guy might calm down a bit, maybe he thinks he has to defend the other one......just a random thought.

Good thought Chris. I have thought that too. The only thing is I think it would make it worse. Little Guy is either beside Big Guy or, if he is really agitated, right on top of him. I get the feeling he would love to be behind him but Big Guy isn't cooperating by moving. Right now I think they take comfort in being together. I don't want to do anything to set them back.
You are right. One step at a time. That's all we can do...

14+kitties
March 26th, 2009, 04:59 PM
14+,so the little one is feisty,eh,he's probably completely feral and the cute older guy might have had a home at one time:confused:
I think he's comfortable not having to look for food and fight with other cats.
It's strange though,how the 2 of them seem attached:confused:

Very strange Chico. I can't figure it. The only thing I can think about is that the momma disappeared when the younger one was small and Big Guy took her place. :shrug: I have never seen two cats in a trap together since Bandit :rip: and Tinka were trapped. But they were tiny kittens. I sometimes wonder if there were more of them and I missed them by not leaving the trap back there long enough. Little Guy could be Li'l Momma's twin. :shrug:
The only ones who know is the two of them. And they aren't talking.

Rainbow - thanks!

chico2
March 26th, 2009, 05:03 PM
14+:grouphug::grouphug:for doing what you do:grouphug:

14+kitties
March 26th, 2009, 05:20 PM
14+:grouphug::grouphug:for doing what you do:grouphug:

Aww chico :grouphug: I just do what I can. :shrug: Thank you.

krdahmer
March 26th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Aw... you do so much! And the kitties and us love you for it missy! :grouphug::lovestruck:

Glad to here the new boys are still well! (and I do plan on coming out... we've been swamped here though- someone got canned at work so we're working extra.... I am off Sunday so far though, so maybe then if you're not workin! :goodvibes:)

14+kitties
March 26th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Aw... you do so much! And the kitties and us love you for it missy! :grouphug::lovestruck:

Glad to here the new boys are still well! (and I do plan on coming out... we've been swamped here though- someone got canned at work so we're working extra.... I am off Sunday so far though, so maybe then if you're not workin! :goodvibes:)

Yep. So far I am off on Sunday. :thumbs up

Love4himies
March 26th, 2009, 06:43 PM
You do, do a lot for poor strays, 14+, much more than the average person. :grouphug: :grouphug:

14+kitties
March 26th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Thank you gals. I just hope soon people will wake up and take notice of the over population and start doing something about it. Then it wouldn't be necessary to keep on taking in strays. Until that day we do what we can do........ :grouphug: