Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Problematic Urination

AddieCatFace
March 14th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Hello all!
I'm a new member here and this is the first post/thread I've made (Woo!) so please delete it or move it if this topic has already been brought up-and how could it not be?
I'm having a problem with my female cat. She has been urinating outside of her litter box lately and I really think it's possible that she's simply frustrated but I wanted other people's input if you're willing.
When we first got her she was a kitten from the shelter and we had a similar problem but I think that was just her getting used to new surroundings because it eventually ceased. She is now two however and the old problem has begun to rear its ugly head-and steepend my laundry bill.
I think it may just be because she's frustrated when she goes into heat or when we're not home but I'm not sure now because she has begun to do it when we ARE home too...just in a different room.
I'm getting her fixed this coming thursday so we'll be getting rid of the frustration possibility I think ...and also getting a urinalysis test while we're there.

But do any of these possibilities sound reasonable? Or does it sound like I'm just making up excuses?
:cat: :headslap:

-Addie

sugarcatmom
March 14th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I'm getting her fixed this coming thursday so we'll be getting rid of the frustration possibility I think ...and also getting a urinalysis test while we're there.

If I were you, I'd take her in before her spay appt for blood work, a urinalysis, and possibly even a culture & sensitivity test on her urine to see if there's any bacteria. Very often, urinating outside the box is one of the symptoms of a medical issue. You don't want her undergoing surgery if she has an infection somewhere, so it really would be a good idea to rule that possibility out before her spay.

Other than that, has anything changed in your house? Different litter, change in routine, new laundry detergent, any new members to the household? These can also be factors, as can how often you clean the box and how many boxes you have (should be 2 - some cats don't like pooping and peeing in the same box).

Some reading for you: http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

AddieCatFace
March 15th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I have scheduled that urinalysis test prior to the spay and if anything comes up we'll post-pone the operation but other than that we got her blood work done and her updated shots about four weeks ago at her last check up.

No new litter or laundry detergent. Nothing has really changed with our apartment...everything's the same.

Winston
March 15th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Almost sounds like a UTI but your getting things checked so thats good! I agree see she needs to be thoroughly checked before her spay since you really dont know what it is.

Good Luck and keep us posted! :thumbs up