Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do I get rid of bad breath in my dog?

Josh83
March 14th, 2009, 01:26 AM
We just recently got her teeth cleaned and she already has bad breath. Is there anything anyone can recommend to feed her that would help with the bad breath.

We have a tooth brush and tooth paste for her on order at the vet which we haven't recivied yet.

totallyhip
March 14th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Sorry I do not have any advice for you other than getting his teeth checked.

My guys all have great smelling breathe :rolleyes: they are on a raw diet though. Maybe try switching the type or brand of food you are feeding?

SnowDancer
March 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
My American Eskimo has excellent teeth - a breed trait. But, just like some people he is prone to tartar. We had his teeth cleaned at age 3 - the teeth most "tartarized" were the ones on each side of the front of his mouth. If you know the breed they have a Collie type of face so no matter what he chews -and he is a chewer, nothing touches those teeth. So we had his teeth cleaned because breath was getting really bad - and less than a month later the tartar buildup had started again. I mentioned this to my vet and she said she has the same problem - had her teeth cleaned and 3 weeks later, tartar was building again - just the way some people are. Then there is my friend who hardly has any. I did respond to your earlier post and in that one I told you we had tried everything. I am thinking another teeth cleaning will be recommended after his next physical on April 4 - he will be turning 5 - and still a puppy. By the way, the poultry toothpaste is very popular with most dogs - so popular it was totally sold out all over Toronto and back ordered for months. We got a new one yesterday - since my dog considers it a treat to lick off his chew toy.

Chilver
March 14th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Just read recently that chopping a bit of parsley in their food helps with their breath. I am trying it myself I'm on day 2.

totallyhip
March 14th, 2009, 11:09 AM
What about a recreational raw bone once in a while? Before we switched to raw I fed Luke raw bones once a month. He loved it and it helps take the tarter off the teeth. Could help with the breathe too?

cell
March 14th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I've heard from a naturopath pet store that plain yogurt and garlic helps improve benificial bacteria which combats tartar bacteria. Can anyone confirm/deny?