Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

a brother for Molly?

mollywog
March 13th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Hi everyone!!! :D Its been a while since I have posted but I have been lurking! Hope everyone is doing well. I have been busy as ever, the winter has been soooo cold :sleepy: so we've been holed up inside way too much!
I do have some news, we are looking at adopting another rescue, a male companion for Molly. He is in S. Ontario right now and I just did the first phone interview with the organization. I am really excited but am trying to stay neutral until we hear more about him... :flirt:
wish us luck! Any questions you think we should ask about him? :confused: (I already have a list a mile long!) :o

Love4himies
March 13th, 2009, 10:29 PM
:thumbs up

Wow, that is great news.

we are going to be the first ones to see pics of Molly's new brother right? :D

14+kitties
March 13th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Welcome back!! And congrats! What great news!! And wonderful of you to rescue another one! :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
March 13th, 2009, 11:43 PM
:goodvibes: How exciting :goodvibes:

You better believe we're gonna demand pics :D

mollywog
March 14th, 2009, 03:17 AM
heh heh :) I knew you would demand pics!
I am going to practice some restraint, however and wait until the interview process is final, and then if I am successful, I will post pics! :p
Please keep us in your thoughts! I am really excited about the idea of another dog, any advice? ? :dog: :dog:

muggsmom
March 14th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Congrats! It's so great that you are rescuing again. How old is he? What breed/mix?

When I brought Muggs to my SIL's, we spoke to a behaviourist about introducing the dogs....Mojo was not great with other males, and Muggs is leash aggressive. The behaviourist told us to introduce them somewhere neutral, away from home. Because of Muggs' leash issues, we left them at the kennel for 3 days and let the behaviourist introduce them. He also told us not to pick up poos for a few days, that way they would have something to occupy them in the yard and they could get used to each other's smells. Also, NO toys, bones, etc. for a long time, then introduce slowly under constant supervision. Feeding should be done in separate rooms.

I know it seems like a lot of defensive work, but being a rescue you don't know his background. And better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck and enjoy!

MommaKat
March 14th, 2009, 09:26 AM
heh heh :) I knew you would demand pics!
I am going to practice some restraint, however and wait until the interview process is final, and then if I am successful, I will post pics! :p
Please keep us in your thoughts! I am really excited about the idea of another dog, any advice? ? :dog: :dog:

If he has a foster mom/dad, he or she should be able to answer most of your questions.You could ask how he is with other dogs and how he is on walks, ask if he is good with meeting strangers and such. Good luck, Molly always looks so happy in pictures, so I'm sure this guy will be happy to have you :highfive: .

mollywog
March 14th, 2009, 10:19 AM
muggsmom- thanks for the great advice!
We are still in the interviewing process so I am not getting too ahead of myself- since its a long distance rescue, he won't be able to meet Molly first. So I have to ask a TON of Qs to make sure he really is the right "match" for all of us. He looks a LOT like Molly actually. Hes 8 months old, a real cutie. :dog:
I am sure if we do decide to adopt him, I will have a LOT of questions for you guys about introducing the dogs... and I PROMISE to post pics!!
:party:

ancientgirl
March 14th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Good luck! I hope everything works out for you and Molly!

hazelrunpack
March 14th, 2009, 11:44 PM
How long before you know if you'll be his new parents, mollywog? I'm sure Molly is keeping all her paws crossed hopin' for a brother to play with!! :dog:

Good luck!! :goodvibes:

mollywog
March 16th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I had the 2 interviews (they are strict! But in a good way!) and they went really well. He sounds a lot like Molly but does have a few issues such as food guarding and leash pulling. Since my MIL lives really close to his foster, she is going to go and meet him and then give us her impression, since she knows us and Molly. Its so tough not being able to meet him in person, so it's all up in the air at this point. But either way, we are hoping to get a 2nd dog soon! :)

growler~GateKeeper
March 16th, 2009, 11:09 PM
:goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Do you already have a trainer who could help you to work out the guarding/pulling issues?

Love4himies
March 17th, 2009, 08:03 AM
:pray::pray::fingerscr:fingerscr :goodvibes::goodvibes:

rainbow
March 17th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I just cam across this thread now and what wonderful news. :thumbs up

I hope everything works out for you and Molly. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

14+kitties
March 17th, 2009, 04:12 PM
All fingers and toes crossed here! :thumbs up

mollywog
March 18th, 2009, 12:25 AM
thanks everyone!!! :D
Growler- unfortunately, we do not have a trainer in our town... we are pretty much 4 hours away from civilization. So thats kinda sucky. But the good part is that my sister is a doggy PRO (shes the agility all star- competed at Nationals this past summer) so she is always just a phone call away.
My MIL is going to meet the pup tomorrow! :fingerscr but shes a real doggy lover so I have a feeling she will love him no matter what!!!
At this point I'm still not sure what to do... it's just a waiting game!
I will keep you all posted though :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
March 18th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Good that you've got your sister to call upon then, I'm sure she'll know someone if there is something she's not sure about :thumbs up

:goodvibes: for the adoption
:goodvibes: for there being no issues

hazelrunpack
March 18th, 2009, 12:34 AM
:goodvibes: for tomorrow's visit, then! Maybe if she thinks it will work, you can arrange a meeting for Molly and the New Kid at your MIL's? :fingerscr Some place neutral always seems to work best for first meetings. :o

mollywog
March 18th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Hazel- unfortunately, we cannot arrange a meeting with Molly, seeing as we are 20 + hours away from the rescue :sad: so that's why there are a lot of unknowns at this point. Molly would not be able to meet the little guy until we signed the papers and brought him home!

14+kitties
March 18th, 2009, 04:06 PM
So when you bring him home...... how are you planning on introducing him to Molly? Maybe you could take Molly to a neighbours and bring the new one to their place? Or take the new one to a friends, go get Molly, have the friends take the newbie for a walk and you and Molly can "meet up with them". That way they are meeting on neutral ground and it may go over better. Just random thoughts.

hazelrunpack
March 18th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Or if you have a willing friend with a fenced in yard, just introduce them there. :shrug: With any kind of luck, they'll hit it off and be playing so hard when it's time to go home that Molly won't mind having the little whippersnapper come along for a sleepover. :D And by the time she realizes he's staying, they'll be fast friends! :cloud9:

14+kitties
March 18th, 2009, 04:26 PM
:laughing::laughing: Don't you just love how we plan your life for you Mollywog!! Now, about children............. :D

mollywog
March 18th, 2009, 10:32 PM
14+ and Hazel- good ideas! BUT, you are getting ahead of yourselves!! :D
My MIL went to meet him today and said he is a doll, and thinks he would be submissive to Molly and a good match for us. However, both the foster mom and I have agreed to just put the whole thing on pause for a month (thats the soonest that we would be able to travel down there to get him) and if he's still available at that point, then it is meant to be. :fingerscr
It's hard, but I'm not letting myself get excited about it yet. So it may be a few weeks before you guys hear any more news on this... sorry to keep ya hanging! :o
Either way, Molly should have a sibling by the summer :thumbs up :goodvibes:

Chaser
March 18th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Regardless of whichever pup you are able to rescue I bet Molly will be thrilled to have a brother. I can't wait for all the picture cuteness! :cloud9:

Hmmm.....how about some new Molly pics for now....:rolleyes:

growler~GateKeeper
March 18th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Hmmm.....how about some new Molly pics for now....:rolleyes:

Yes yes excellant idea :highfive: new Molly :lovestruck: pics to hold us over till the new addition comes :thumbs up

mollywog
April 5th, 2009, 12:44 PM
ok- update time...
I have been keeping in touch with the foster mom, and she said that she has had some applications for the little guy, but none that have "wowed" her like ours did! So :fingerscr that she will still have him in a couple weeks when DH is down south and able to pick him up!!! I REALLY want to show you guys a pic, but am going to wait.... let's just say he looks a LOT like Molly and could pass as her brother! He's about 15 lbs smaller though! :cloud9: :goodvibes:

Sylvie
April 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I have been following this thread. I am so thrilled for you. :thumbs up

As a foster mom, many times over, I know how the foster mom feels. She wants the best home for the foster. I am sure she will wait a couple of weeks.

We could not find the right home for our last foster so she now has her forever home with us. Us foster moms can be very picky, but for the right reason. The animal comes first, people second.

Good luck, can't wait to see pictures of your new pupster. :D

Chris21711
April 5th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I can't stand the suspense Mollywog :yell:

hazelrunpack
April 5th, 2009, 06:43 PM
:goodvibes: and :fingerscr for you, mollywog!!!! I hope it all works out!

mollywog
April 5th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I can't stand the suspense Mollywog :yell:

just imagine how I feel!!!! :eek: :goodvibes::cloud9:

Chris21711
April 5th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I would never be able to handle the wait :yell:

Molly must be beside herself....I know I am :pray:

mollywog
April 5th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I would never be able to handle the wait :yell:

Molly must be beside herself....I know I am :pray:

haha.... Molly is none the wiser! She's sleeping beside me on the couch right now with not a care in the world! I have a feeling it might come as a big surprise to her when DH shows up with this new dog! :eek:

Sylvie
April 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I am sure tht when DH shows up with her boyfriend she will be a very happy pupster. I am sure she will be :lovestruck:

Chris21711
April 6th, 2009, 12:00 PM
One day less to wait..........oh the suspense is killing me :laughing:

Love4himies
April 6th, 2009, 12:17 PM
:pray::pray: that all will work out for you!

rainbow
April 6th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Oh man, this is worse than a kid waiting for Xmas. :crazy:

mollywog
April 6th, 2009, 05:08 PM
haha... still a couple weeks to go! :rolleyes:

14+kitties
April 6th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Still have my fingers crossed this works out for you!!! :fingerscr

Chris21711
April 7th, 2009, 11:36 AM
haha... still a couple weeks to go! :rolleyes:

A couple of weeks :eek:...Rats...can your Hubby not leave today :yell:

mollywog
April 12th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Well everyone who has been following this.... I have some news:
the little guy has been adopted. It is bittersweet, because I know he is going to a GREAT home, but sad that it's not our home. :cry: :cloud9: :shrug:
so I guess the search continues!!!! :party: I am going to try to search more locally this time... shelters and animal control, and rescues around here. Wish me luck!
oh, and since I promised a picture... here he is. Enjoy your new life, you deserve it buddy! :thumbs up

14+kitties
April 12th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Aww Mollywog, I am so sorry for you. :grouphug: But very glad for the little sweetie. He has a wonderful new home to call his own. I know it's bittersweet but I am sure you will find the right sibling for Molly very very soon. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
April 12th, 2009, 10:27 PM
It just means that there's still the perfect sibling out there for Molly! :thumbs up I'm sure it won't be long till you find him!

And good luck to Buddy in his new home! :goodvibes: He sure is a cute little guy!

ancientgirl
April 13th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Aww, what a cutie. I'm glad he's going to a good home. I'm sure you'll find a brother or sister for Molly soon.

mollywog
April 13th, 2009, 03:19 PM
thanks Hazel and ancientgirl.... I am glad that he's finally found his furever home, and hopeful about the fact that there's another little guy out there waiting for us!!
I might wait until the summer (one of the perks of being a teacher.... summers off! :party:) to start looking again, that way I can devote a lot more time to the new transition. I will keep you all updated!

ancientgirl
April 13th, 2009, 03:25 PM
That's actually a really good idea. Spending more time at home will help getting the new addition time to really get comfy at home and you won't feel pressured about their transition into your home because you only have a weekend to do it.

Chris21711
April 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Rats Mollywog, I was so looking forward to Molly having a brother. So happy to hear that this little guy has found a loving home though.

You will not have any trouble finding a new roommate for Molly though, there are thousands of wonderful dogs just waiting for their lucky day :cloud9:

Love4himies
April 13th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I am sorry, mollywog. I always say things happen for a reason and the pup you are meant to be with will come your way. ;)

Chaser
April 13th, 2009, 06:47 PM
He is adorable! :lovestruck: Him and Molly would certainly have made a good-looking pair, but I'm sure things happen for a reason and apparently there were different plans for him.

I'm sure you'll find the perfect match for your family when the time is right.

rainbow
April 13th, 2009, 08:01 PM
He is adorable! :lovestruck: Him and Molly would certainly have made a good-looking pair, but I'm sure things happen for a reason and apparently there were different plans for him.

I'm sure you'll find the perfect match for your family when the time is right.

I agree ....they really do look quite similar. :lovestruck:

Sorry it didn't work out but glad that he has found another great home. :cloud9: And, since you do get the summer off, it is probably better to wait until then to bring a playmate home for Molly. :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
April 14th, 2009, 01:04 AM
He is adorable :lovestruck: Such a cute pair they would've made :cloud9:

:goodvibes: on the new search