Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peregrine Falcons Hamilton 2009 Season

Winston
March 13th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Hello again! I thought I would start up a new thread for the season since some people enjoy the falcon info and webcam.

Well I have been watching Madame X and her mate all winter. (yet to be determined if it is the same mate as last yer!) This will be the 15th year of falcon activity in Hamilton at the Sheraton site. They are not the typical migrant peregrine rather more the urban style! They love to roost on the CIBC sign on a downtown building! They are spending alot of time lately around the nest area which is on a ledge at the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Hamilton Ontario. For those of you interested in watching them they can bee seen live throught the nesting period. The site has a new night vision type camera which will be nice! you can never see in there once it;s dark.

I will update once there is some new info but generally no eggs for awhile yet. Here is the link to the web cam! Enjoy

http://falcons.hamiltonnature.org/

Cindy

Love4himies
March 13th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Yay, I watched this one last year. In Edmonton there were some Falcons who nested on a cement silo.

Chris21711
March 14th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Hope to see some pics up Winston like you posted last year. Looking forward to it :thumbs up

Winston
March 15th, 2009, 12:57 PM
One from the other day where they were checking out the nest. They have been digging out the scrape too! Usually eggs arrive around mothers day.

Winston
March 15th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I am still not convinved its the same male this year! We will have to wait and see.

Winston
March 15th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Here are Madame X and Surge the resident Hamilton Falcons

Winston
March 27th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Todays Update!

EGGS SOON?

March 25, 2009 - Madame X and Surge are spending much more time in the nest area and on the ledge. Perhaps in the picture at left they are making sure things are ready for egg-laying, which should start in the next week.

She has been in the nest alot today so hopefully we see an egg soon!

Winston
March 30th, 2009, 03:51 PM
We have 1 egg.....more to come!

Chris21711
March 30th, 2009, 03:58 PM
No pic Winston :sad:

Winston, are they earlier with their egg laying this year?

chico2
March 30th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Winston,how did I miss this,beautiful pics of beautiful birds:thumbs up
Are they tagged?? I think they did that last year,didn't they?
Thank's for keeping us updated once again:grouphug:

Winston
March 30th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Chris yes they are 2 weeks ahead of schedule roughly! This is the 15th year of Falcons nesting at this site at the Sheraton Hotel downtown Hamilton.

Madame X is in her 12th year. I think the reason she has maintained the nest is also because her and Surge do not migrate. They stay in Hamilton all year round so they dont bear all the elements in travelling through a migration period!

Those beuatiful pics of her and Surge were taken 2 years ago by someone in the Hamilton Naturalist Club! Good shots eh!! Madame X is a fantastic Mom and Surge has proved to be a good mate! Madame X certainly has had her share of mates...this is her 3rd or 4th...

The excitement begins in late June and July when they are fledging!

Love4himies
March 30th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Oh it is getting exciting now. :D

Winston
March 31st, 2009, 03:54 PM
Update from the Naturalists Club

At 14:45 this afternoon Falconwatchers in our Stelco Tower viewing were able to see a second large brown egg through a telescope. The egg is also in view when Madame X leaves the scrape. While they were watching the nest the male Peregrine landed on the ledge outside the Stelco window with his bands clearly visible, allowing us to confirm that he is indeed Surge, back for his fourth year at the Sheraton Hamilton nest. Stay tuned.

Woo hoo! thats 2 now! :thumbs up

Chris21711
March 31st, 2009, 04:39 PM
Chris yes they are 2 weeks ahead of schedule roughly!

Early Spring - WoooHooo:thumbs up

Madame X certainly has had her share of mates...this is her 3rd or 4th...

My kind of woman :laughing:

!

Thanks for the updates Winston, I love it :thumbs up

chico2
March 31st, 2009, 04:56 PM
Winston,that's amazing,it's the same dad:thumbs up
What do they do in the winter-time,I guess nobody knows??

Winston
March 31st, 2009, 07:55 PM
Actually Chico they stay in Hamilton just not on the nest ledge! They are not the typical migrating peregrine falcon. They have become urbanized (if there is such a word!)

They love to roost a few blocks away from the ledge on the CIBC Bank Building in the downtown core. Most people hav eno idea they are roosting above unless they hear them! then you know it. Having said that I am sure they do leave at times when they are not in the family mode of raiding kids...but they stay around locally pretty much.

She usually has between 4-5 eggs in her clutch. As she has ages the eggs will become fewer. Apparently a healthy viable egg is more reddish brown in color. When they are pale its not usually good.

They are super parents and i certainly have witnesses them training their babes! it is simply amazing. I have seen many of the dads entice them off the ledge when he felt it was time for them to leave! really amazing to see!

chico2
April 1st, 2009, 04:30 PM
Winston,that's great ,that they feel comfortable in the city,they are so beautiful.
The Hawks don't come here anymore,I guess there is enough field-mice in the fields to feed them.
We still have a few fields left,but soon to be built up:evil:

Winston
April 1st, 2009, 09:45 PM
Update from today!

April 1, 2009 - Surge continues to woo Madame X with stunning aerial displays; swooping and climbing, loop the loops - you name it. And it's working too! On Tuesday afternoon after Madame X left the nest, exposing the second egg, both birds were very active in the air. At first it appeared they were chasing an intruder, but they weren�t. It was the Peregrine equivalent of ballroom dancing - they were flying and hovering together. Surge would dive right at Madame X but not hit her. It was quite the display! Eventually Surge headed to the nest ledge to incubate the eggs and Madame X left for a break. About 3:45 Madame X returned. Surge hopped up off the eggs, marched down the nest ledge to meet her and watchers had their avian biology lesson for the day! Stay tuned. More eggs should be on the way. Our experience is that the female will lay an egg roughly every other day until she is finished.

:thumbs up

Love4himies
April 2nd, 2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated, Winston. I would have loved to have witnessed the flight.

Chris21711
April 2nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated, Winston. I would have loved to have witnessed the flight.

Me too, it would be great to witness the two.

Winston
April 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Its been a rough few days weather wise but hopefully things brighten up this weekend! heres an update from the site:

FOUR ON THE FLOOR!!!!

April 8, 2009 - Poor Madame X. Three days of snow, rain, sleet and COLD! What a way to treat a Lady! "Hmphhh, well I'll show you," she said - and she did. When Madame X took a break from incubating around noon today, viewers were clearly able to see that there were four eggs in the scrape! Way to go 'X'! With warmer weather moving into the area tonight, perhaps the rest of the incubation period will be a little easier for her and for Surge, who does his fair share of the incubating too.

The Peregrines and Falconwatchers want to thank the Sheraton Hamilton Hotel for delaying needed repairs to the lights in the large signs on the south and north sides of the building. In addition to close attention from the adults for workers, any activity on the roof at this stage could cause enough upset for the nest to be abandoned, which would be a real shame since the birds have come so far this season.

Chris21711
April 8th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the update Winston, didn't they have four last year also? :pray: That nothing disturbs them too much.

Winston
April 8th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Actually yes..she has usually 4-5...if there are 5 most likely only 4 will hatch...but sadly last yr only 2 survived..

I am hoping this year we have no issues with respiratory illnesses..past couple of years that has been problem. Apparently it is from the pigeons they eat..I am not sure why?

We named one Blue Foot a couple of years ago because she had blue feet and that is one of the signs of this virus that they get...it was really funny cause you could always tell her apart from her sister! since falcons have bright yellow feet she certainly stood out! :laughing: made it easier for us to see which bird it was from looking htrought he binoculars!

chico2
April 8th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Winston,that's great,4 eggs,hopefully this stupid weather turns warmer:fingerscr
How long is the incubation period normally??
Come on sun and warmth,lets look after this mom,dad and eggs:pray:

Winston
April 8th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Its about 30 days Chico! so Mom & Dadd have a long way to go! But I have all the confidence in the world in Madame X she is honestly amazing. She is a wonderful mom...she always has been the boss too! all female peregrines rule the roost so to speak..they are usually much larger than the males!

Both her and Surge are great providers for their young too! Sadly another animal has to die but I guess that is nature?? She always knows when one is not getting enough and will go and make sure they eat. It can get pretty hectic in the nest with 4 babes going crazy for the food and because they hatch a couple of days a part the oldest is usually the biggest and gets the food! They are so smart they even know when to cut back the food to force them to be lighter for their first flight! it also makes them hungry and when Dad flys by with a kill in his talons they usually are hungry enough and light enough for that first flight!

Amazing to watch!

chico2
April 8th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Winston,thank's ,my Bird-book does not teach me about things like that,they must be really smart birds to recognize,who is not getting enough food.
We have seen in the bird-houses I have,how the loudest and biggest babies seem to get the most food:sad:but these are Sparrows I am talking about.
Today,we saw and heard two hawks,one huge one and a smaller one,probably male and female,they made that really nice sound,soaring up there together,just beautiful.

Winston
April 8th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Chico I think its pretty much like that will animals ..the strongest will survive! There are alot of these nest near Toronto you know! you could always check one out some time!

I think I will make a list of all the love bird cams I have from all around the worls and post it somewhere! it is amazing Chico..There is even a live cam in Africa. I looked at it one night and it is set by a watering hole so to speak and there were hyenas?? not sure of the spelling! live on there! during the day you saw zebras...even the penquins in antartica! love that one! I think one of my favs is the bald eagle nest!

Madame X has been a strong bird to have kept her nest for 12 years and raise as many babes as she has had! I think it would be close to 30 or more !

chico2
April 8th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Winston,I would love to see some more Live-Cams.
I never go in to Toronto,maybe once a year,when my son has to go to Toronto General Hosp.(I can't stand being in Toronto)
But we do go to my other son who lives on Hamilton Mountain.
If you don't want to post too many here,I 'll PM you my e-mail addy.ok..

Winston
April 17th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Update from today

THREE 'LADIES IN WAITING'

April 17, 2009 - At 10:33 yesterday morning Madame X did a little egg turning in the bright sunshine and let the camera see two of the eggs. Judging from how high she is sitting in the nest, it looks as though all four eggs are pretty big. As she and Surge were sharing incubation duties we received news that Stelco, our 1997 female who has been nesting in Lansing, Michigan for the last eight years, had laid her first egg of the 2009 season. Meanwhile, at the Ottawa Crowne Plaza Hotel the adults there, Diana and Connor, are also incubating four eggs, the first time the Ottawa nest has seen four at once. Stay tuned. Our chicks should hatch right around Mother's Day.

Chris21711
April 17th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the continued updates Winston :thumbs up

chico2
April 17th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Winston,that goes for me too,thank's:thumbs up
Hopefully this year we'll have 4 healthy chicks:fingerscr

Winston
May 6th, 2009, 06:07 PM
DOUBLE DOSE OF GOOD NEWS - FIRST 2009 CHICK & WEBSTER REPORT!

May 6, 2009 - The long wait IS over for Madame X and Surge. At 09:01 today the first young Peregrine of 2009 made its appearance in the Sheraton Hamilton nest. The image at left shows the chick clearly. The white material at its left is believed to be the inner lining of the shell of the egg from which it hatched.

While we were digesting this news from the Sheraton we received word that Webster, one of the 2006 Hamilton Peregrines, has been identified as the female of a pair nesting on a bridge in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. What makes this news even more interesting is that her sister, Albion, has nested on a bridge in Pennsylvania for the last two years.

Stay tuned! Three more chicks to come, we hope! Perhaps more news of birds from previous years.

OMG it wont be long before they are teetering on the edge of the Sheraton Ledge! :D

chico2
May 7th, 2009, 09:10 AM
OMG,look at that wee one:fingerscreverything goes well with the others,thank's Winston:thumbs up

Winston
May 8th, 2009, 06:19 AM
THREE CHICKS!!!

May 7, 2009 (Part 2) - Around 11:15AM this morning the third chick of 2009 made its appearance. It was funny to watch Madame X a few minutes later as she tried to tuck all three of them - and the last egg - underneath her body so she could keep them warm. Surge came in with food not long after and one of the chicks was quite insistent that he/she get some. The image at left was taken a few hours later, at 16:13. Here we go again! Stay tuned! One more chick to come, possibly today at the rate they have been hatching.

One more to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then the fun begins!:thumbs up

chico2
May 8th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Winston,how exciting,MadameX is just such a good mom:lovestruck:dad is going to have his"talons"full feeding 4 babies and mom..

Winston
May 8th, 2009, 08:43 AM
You know Chico it is kind of sad because you know that another animal has died but Surge is a great provider. He is steady bringing in food for his gang! You can always tell when they have had a good feed because they have a Crop and the front below their neck and it buldges out when they have a full tummy!

Love4himies
May 8th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Wahoo! :pray: that #4 will be hatched soon.

Chris21711
May 8th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Great news Winston, thanks for keeping us updated, I just love it :thumbs up

Winston
May 8th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Heres a pic I just caught on the cam...it always amazes me that they do not smother those chics! :cool:

Winston
May 8th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Heres one of Mom and Dad keeping watch over the area for intruders!

Winston
May 10th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Update from the site

May 10, 2009

The technical wonders wrought by our webmaster, Charles, make it possible for us to see thousands of images at 10 second intervals. This is a good thing - except when we are trying to figure out exactly how many chicks are in the nest ledge! After two days of white fluff balls and parts of brown eggshells coming and going underneath the adults it appears, unless there's a fourth chick well hidden under the overhang at right, that Madame X and Surge will have just three chicks to raise this year. The image at left, taken at 05:55 today, shows the small but noticeable size differences between the three youngsters. It looks like the oldest (and largest) one, at right, has placed a protective wing over the smallest one, in the centre. Stay tuned - even if there are only three they will be a handful!

chico2
May 10th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Winston thank's! They are just so very beautiful:lovestruck:
My Crows today got something out of the Black-Birds nest and although it's sad,I don't love my Crows any less,it's the way of nature.
It's different if some human decides to"cull"any wild-life,that's not what Mother Nature intended.

hazelrunpack
May 10th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Yay! :highfive: Guess I gotta check this thread more often...last time I peeked in, there was only one egg! :o Now at least 3 chicks! :cloud9:

Winston
May 11th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I have had a close look at some of the pics from the webcam and I am guessing we have 4 eyasses in the nest! Check out this pic....

chico2
May 11th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Winston,I see 4 too,is eyasses really a word,or is that just what you call them:laughing:maybe a typo:confused:
:fingerscrthey all survive.:fingerscr
I seem to have lost my web-cam site,if you can,could you post it again,please,pretty please;)

Winston
May 11th, 2009, 06:17 PM
yes thats what they are called. where they lay in the gravel ( or their nest location) they call that the scrape? and when she lays the egss they call it a clutch of eggs.. kind of weird eh!

here is the link again

http://falcons.hamiltonnature.org/

chico2
May 12th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Thank's Winston:thumbs up

Winston
May 12th, 2009, 05:31 PM
No update officially but I say WE HAVE 4 IN THE NEST!!!! :thumbs up

Heres the proof!

Oh and sorry folks! Mom & Dad preparing a snack!

Look at the size difference a day or two makes!

chico2
May 13th, 2009, 08:21 AM
OOOOH,AHHHHH look at those little ones,hope not only the big-mouthed ones get fed:fingerscr

Winston
May 13th, 2009, 08:23 AM
offical update!

IT'S A GO - ONE MO!

May 13, 2009 - After last weekend, anyone who thought that falconwatching is always an exact science knows better. "Four? No three. Well maybe four. Are you sure? No." The question was settled yesterday afternoon when a telescope view from the Stelco Tower showed four separate chicks. The image at left, taken at 05:50 this morning, clearly shows them. As they get bigger it will be easier, of course - unless they are hiding under the overhang or in the corner nearest the camera, that is. Madame X and Surge have been busy bringing food and sharing it out among the youngsters. The fun has just begun!

There growing by the minute!

hazelrunpack
May 13th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Aw, heck...you saw that days ago, Winston! :D

They sure do grow quickly! I'm looking forward to shots of them standing on the ledge exercising their wings! :goodvibes:

So have they tracked many of the young falcons that get fledged from this site?

Winston
May 13th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Hi Hazel...yes quite a few . We found out this year that Webster and Albion both sisters are alive and well. Albion is in Philidelphia and the other female from the same clutch is Webster and she is in Pawtucket Rhode Island.

We have another one named Stelco (after the Stelco here in Hamilton) who has been in Lansing Michigan for many years.

I wish the CPF could afford to place a transmitter on the occasional Canadian Bird because it proves to be really useful info.

I follow another site that follows peregrines on their migration journeys via a satelite transmitter and it is awesome to follow! :thumbs up

Winston
May 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I couldnt resist this one! Its like shes stomping over to him and giving him &^%$ because he is late with breakfast! :D

Oh and there still are 4 one is just lumped in there with the rest!

chico2
May 16th, 2009, 01:07 PM
That's great,look at those little heads:lovestruck:
Mommy and daddy are doing their morning-exercises:laughing:

Chris21711
May 16th, 2009, 06:23 PM
You're right Winston she is stomping as if she is miffed :laughing: I can't see four heads, but I can see four bodies.....:thumbs up

Winston
May 21st, 2009, 05:59 PM
Well the chicks are growing by the day! I had to post this cute pic! It looks like Mom is saying now dont you all go anywhere Ill be right back with breakfast! :D

Arent they getting big! and I am so happy to see all 4! I had some doubts on the youngest one but Mom has been feeding them all really well! :thumbs up

Love4himies
May 21st, 2009, 06:39 PM
Aww they are so cute :cloud9: :lovestruck: and of course momma and daddy are being such good parents :thumbs up

Thanks for keeping us updated, Winston.

Winston
May 23rd, 2009, 09:34 PM
We are so full we cant stand up! :thumbs up So good to see all 4 growing each day!

chico2
May 24th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Winston,how sweet,:lovestruck:I guess there is no runt this time around:confused:

Winston
May 24th, 2009, 08:51 AM
yes Chico there is a little one that was hatched a couple of days after the last but they all seem well! we will know more once they are collected for banding..they check their overall health, weight, sex etc,

I am hoping this year there will be no respiratory infections like we have had for the past couple of years! :thumbs up

Love4himies
May 24th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Oh my goodness they are getting so big :eek:. Momma and daddy must be going 24/7 trying to keep these tummy's full.

Winston
May 25th, 2009, 04:11 PM
In a few days we will have them running across the ledge! They get so big so fast!

You will also notice in about a week their dark feathers will start coming in! they look really weird like that! :laughing:

I saw them about 1/2 hour ago with one adult on the ledge like the pic and the other roosting on top of the camera just keepinh watch! :thumbs up

Oh and I am going to take a stab at it and say that this biggest one is definately a female! I need a few more days for the rest!

chico2
May 25th, 2009, 05:04 PM
That will be so scary,the running on the ledge I mean,what if they fall??
Maybe mom or dad is watching over them:fingerscr

Winston
May 25th, 2009, 07:25 PM
having a little pow wow before bed! Isnt that cute! :thumbs up

Love4himies
May 26th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Awwww. :cloud9: :lovestruck:

chico2
May 26th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Aww those little fluffy heads,they are really cute:lovestruck:

Winston
May 27th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Well it didnt take long! their on the move! :thumbs up

Wont be long before their up on the ledge!

chico2
May 27th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Oh no,did any of the babies over the years fall off the ledge??
But OMG are they ever growing fast:lovestruck:

Winston
May 27th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Yes Chico it has happened before! we had some bad little boys that used to torment their sister and they knocked her off! she was okay though!

It is enough to drive you crazy when I am out on a falconwatch and I see them on the ledge chasing each other or bumping into one another and then one time I looked away for a second and one was gone! OMG I thought it fell or something and it had hopped back in the nest on me! :D

I worry more about their first flight than I do about them falling off the ledge cause there ar so many things to get in their way on first flight and their not always the strongest on first flight. Usually after the first couple of flights they simply amaze you with their grace!

Winston
May 30th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Update from the site!

RAIN, RAIN, GO AWAY!

May 27, 2009 - The chicks have grown so much so quickly that experienced Falconwatchers think at least three and perhaps all four chicks are female. This isn't a put down of males - female Peregrines are always heavier than their brothers. We will know better next week when the birds are banded. The image at left was taken at 19:11 this evening as the youngsters took the opportunity to shower in the rain that is going to be with us for at least another day. Thanks to an observant on-line Falconwatcher we now know who removed 'The Weed' - the birds did it themselves. Around 13:12 on May 21 everybody moved into the corner of the ledge nearest the camera, and bit by bit the weed was pushed over. We'll get it removed next week. Stay tuned as the chicks grow more. A few of their darker juvenile flight feathers are starting to show.

chico2
May 30th, 2009, 08:54 AM
OMG,are they ever growing fast,with all the rain,I thought you would say their ledge was flooded,but fortunately not:thumbs up

Winston
May 30th, 2009, 10:05 AM
No Chico we have been very fortunate in that regard! there is a lot of gravel in the ledge and a drain! also there are so many people watching this family grow we could hopefully deal with any problems. we always have someone reasonably close to the site to observe whats going on!

They are sooo cute! yeah for 4 girls! :thumbs up

Winston
June 1st, 2009, 04:03 PM
BANDING DAY TOMORROW 10AM!

If your interested you will see some activity in the nest prior to the banding and then after their return where they show off the new bling to Mom and Day!
Heres a pic from the site with some of the dark feathers starting to come in today!

Here is an update from the site! I will try to get some pics but I am at street level so not sure how they will turn out!

June 1, 2009 - If around 9:30 tomorrow morning you see a pair of feet in the webcam picture, don't worry! A climber will be descending from the roof of the Sheraton to the nest ledge. The chicks will be placed in a container, then raised up and brought inside the hotel to be checked over by biologists. After being weighed, banded and named they will be returned to the nest. In the picture at left, captured just before 10 o'clock this morning, Madame X can be seen feeding the smallest of the four youngsters, and perhaps filling them all in on what is going to happen tomorrow. The dark lines on the chicks' sides are their dark juvenile flight feathers clearly starting to show.

chico2
June 1st, 2009, 05:32 PM
Winston,I'll check the video-thingy at 9:30am,what an adventure for the little guys!
But you know,it's soooo nice that people care that much:thumbs up

Winston
June 1st, 2009, 06:06 PM
Well Chico that is one thing about some of laws here that do work. Pergrines were on the Endangered Species list for many many years as a result of large use of DDT in the years before we knew any different! but now as of a couple of years ago they are now just threatened.

Stats still show a very high mortality rate for these beauties but as they say "only the strong will survive!"

Madame X is such a creature! she is our Martiarch in the Hamilton Nest! and she is a fiesty yet ferocious bird with a certain love for her babes! If you watch her tomorrow live she will be most certainly going after the man that climbs in the nest and you will be able to see that! Madame X and Surge will be defending it with a lot of hostility thats for sure! It takes awhile for them to get started with it all..they ususally set up the ropes and gear and then the fella climbs over the ledge at the top of the hotel and rapels himself down into the nest..all along Madame X and Surge will be letting him know that are not happy! I think Madame X somehow knows that they are brought backk but she still goes crazy every time! Anyway its fun to watch if you have the time and patience to watch it unfold.!! :thumbs up

Love4himies
June 1st, 2009, 06:15 PM
Awww, they are getting so big.

Thanks for keeping us updated, winston :thumbs up

Winston
June 2nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
Banding Day was a great success ! I took pictures but had to leave the camera at work so I will post them if any turn out! I have to say this was the most aggressive I have ever seen Madam X and she actually connected with the climber in the middle of his back and also on the head on at least 3 occasions..thank goodness they where protective hats! :D

We have some MIGHT BIG BIRDS on our hands! guess they are feeding well :D

Here is the update from the site!

Chico did you get to watch live?

THREE GIRLS AND A GUY!

June 2, 2009 - June 2, 2008: Everyone, meet Dixon, Durand, Gleig and Strathcona! Our chicks were retrieved from the nest ledge today by climber John Millar, assisted by Chris Phinney. They were named after two former Falconwatchers, Len Dixon and Don Gleig, and two of the historic Hamilton neighbourhoods the Peregrines use regularly for food trips, and will use soon for training flights. The birds were banded by Anne Yagi of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR). As we expected based on the birds' sizes from the video camera, we have three females and one male, all VERY healthy. Dixon, who weighed in at 690g, is the only male. Strathcona (1014g) and Durand (1040g) are big but Gleig (1049g) is, we believe, the largest Sheraton Hamilton chick ever banded.

Dixon was named for the late Len Dixon who in 1994, while a Supervisor for the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board, was the first person to identify the unusual bird flying around the Sheraton as a Peregrine Falcon. Don Gleig, who was also very active in the Hamilton Boy Scout organization, was Co-Lead Monitor of Falconwatch in 1998-99 and a Senior Monitor after that. Sadly, Len passed away a year ago, and Don just this past April.

Madame X and Surge were very active during the banding. 'X' was especially aggressive, only settling down when her chicks were returned safely to the nest and the intruders completely gone. In the image at left Madame X is seen giving John Millar a piece of her mind as he gathers the youngsters for their upward journey.

As soon as possible we will have some close up pictures of the chicks. Stay tuned!

The actual on-street Falconwatch will start sometime around June 11-12. As always, volunteers are needed. If you can contribute some time in two-hour shifts over a period of three weeks we would like to hear from you. Please email us at: falconwatch@hwcn.org

chico2
June 3rd, 2009, 09:51 AM
No,I did not,something came up:sad:
I'll check on the site a little later on,but it sounds amazing,so glad they are all doing ok:thumbs up

Winston
June 4th, 2009, 04:08 PM
getting restless in the playpen and stretching those wings..omg its hard to beleive in the next couple of weeks they should be flying!!

Winston
June 7th, 2009, 06:37 AM
OMG the nail biting begins! see the difference a few days makes!

chico2
June 7th, 2009, 08:34 AM
OMG,they grew fast,is there one missing:confused:
Got to check in on the video-cam..

Love4himies
June 7th, 2009, 09:23 AM
:eek::eek::eek: :pray: they all make it out of the nest and are successful on their first flights

Love4himies
June 7th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Do I only see 3 babies??

Winston
June 8th, 2009, 12:10 PM
L4H all four babes checking out the worls on the other side of that ledge!

Man I am going to miss doing the falconwatch this year! They have changed so much since last Monday whent hey were banded! No longer those fulff balls of white fluff! I actually hate the way they look at this stage! it looks so ratty!

chico2
June 8th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Aww there they are,all for of them,phew!!!
They do look ratty,but they will soon become beautiful Falcons,at least I:pray:they will all be ok.

Love4himies
June 9th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I get scared for them when they are on the ledge:yell: :sad: What if a gust of wind knocks one down.

Winston
June 9th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Testing those big wings! :thumbs up

chico2
June 9th, 2009, 05:04 PM
OH,I hope they don't test them over the edge:fingerscr
It's amazing how fast they have grown:thumbs up

Winston
June 10th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Update from the site:

A DAY OF EATING

June 9, 2009 - Falconwatch Coordinator Sandra Davey reports: The main activity for the chicks today seemed to be eating. Between 9AM and 8PM they were fed six times. While four meals consisted of small birds, two were large - probably pigeons. Meal time is usually surprisingly orderly, with the chicks politely taking turns while Madame X feeds them. However, this evening one of the girls must have felt that she wasn't getting her fair share because she stole a piece of food right out of Dixon's mouth! This same youngster grabbed the small bird that Surge dropped off at 7:25 this evening and fed herself in the nest. Somebody had better tell Madame X and Surge that these chicks need to loose some weight if they ever hope to get airborne! With all of this eating going on the youngsters did a lot of napping today, but they also spent time preening and stretching their wings. The image at left, taken late yesterday, clearly shows the difference in size between Dixon (front) and two of his sisters.

Oh an no worries there are still 4 in the nest~

Winston
June 10th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Nail Biting Time!! OMG they have been so active today!

and Mom and Dad have been feeding them all day!

Love4himies
June 11th, 2009, 08:00 AM
:eek: OMG, I am having a heart attack! If one of the babies falls over, will they be able to fly back?????

chico2
June 11th, 2009, 08:09 AM
OMG,nailbiting for sure,that's a long way down:yell:
Do you think they could fly??

chico2
June 11th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Winston,on the webcam I see only 3 babies,but maybe one is hiding:confused:

Love4himies
June 11th, 2009, 08:18 AM
:eek::eek: OMG, it looks like one is ready to fly off.

Love4himies
June 11th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Whew, safe,

I only see 3 too.

Winston
June 12th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Waiting for breakfast! :thumbs up

Love4himies
June 12th, 2009, 07:51 AM
All 4 safe :thumbs up

Thanks for keeping us updated, Winston.:grouphug:

chico2
June 12th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Counting 1,2,3,4:thumbs up:thumbs up
I can't believe how they are already starting to look like mom and dad,it's amazing..
Yes Winston,a big thank you from me too:grouphug:

Winston
June 12th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Love this one!

hey sis do you think we ate to much breakfast? I dont know about you but I cant move! :D

chico2
June 12th, 2009, 11:58 AM
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Winston
June 15th, 2009, 01:59 PM
ONE FLEW OVER THE FALCONS' NEST!

June 15, 2009 - Falconwatch Coordinator Sandra Davey reports: At approximately 11:10 this morning one of the chicks flew from the nest ledge to the nearby Thompson Building, where it landed safely. One of the things Falconwatchers look for as the chicks develop is 'helicoptering', which occurs when heavy wing flapping results in the bird lifting itself a few inches above the ledge. This happened about 10 minutes before the first flight (image at left). Usually there are more than a few helicoptering efforts before a young Peregrine flies for the first time, but not in this case. Stay tuned.

chico2
June 15th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Oh,Oh,I hope he will be ok:fingerscr:pray:

Winston
June 19th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Well I have been away for a few days and there is alot happening with the falcons...heres an update fromt he site"

LEARNING TO FLY

June 18, 2009 Falconwatch Coordinator Sandra Davey reports: Today Dixon and Durand learned about flying. Dixon was the first to take off. At 11:45 he left the Standard Life window ledge where he had spent the night and made his way to the roof of that building. He stayed there until 19:30 when he flew to the roof of the Sheraton. He kept looking down to the nest, wanting to get back home, but after two attempts during which he flew around the Sheraton and surrounding buildings, he eventually came to rest on a Standard Life window ledge - in almost exactly the same spot where he spent all of last night!

Durand flew several times today too. Her first flight at 14:50 was a little shaky and she spent a short while on a sloped window ledge on the Fairclough building, but her next flights were strong and direct. She flew from Fairclough back to the Thompson building, then later to the roof of Standard Life.

Despite doing lots of hard flapping, Strathcona and Gleig stayed put on the nest ledge all day. Strathcona seemed to be a bit bossy. A few times, as in the image at left, it looked like she was trying to convince Gleig to leave home! The adults were kept busy delivering food to all of the chicks. An interesting observation that Falconwatchers have made this past week is that the adults seem to be working together when they hunt. Yesterday and today watchers have observed Madame X and Surge make a tandem, mid air hit on a pigeon. Friday should be interesting - the Hamilton hockey rally is taking place right in the middle of the Peregrines' turf.

With one successful rescue already made, the 2009 on-street Falconwatch is going at full speed. Volunteers are on site from 05:00 to dusk to be available to help any chick that may come to the ground. More volunteers are needed. If you can contribute some time in two-hour shifts over the next two to possibly three weeks, we would like to hear from you. Please email us at: falconwatch@hwcn.org

Our fundraising efforts are ongoing - YOU CAN HELP with Falconwatch's expenses by clicking on the 'Make a Donation to help Falconwatch!' link above.

A QUIET END TO A BUSY DAY

June 17, 2009 - Part 2: Falconwatch Coordinator Sandra Davey reports: After this morning�s excitement, Falconwatchers had a pretty quiet day rest of the day. The rain that fell most of the afternoon and evening likely had something to do with this. Birds do not generally like to fly when they are wet and even the adults were very inactive today. Ten hardy people who braved the misty rain to take part in the Hamilton Naturalists' Club Wednesday night walk learned about Peregrines and their history in Hamilton, saw through telescopes the two chicks still in the nest, and visited Falconwatch�s Jackson Square Mall TV monitor information site.

Once Durand settled down on the roof of the Thompson building this morning she seemed happy to stay put, and was still there when we left tonight. (After a closer look at the photos, we know that it was Strathcona who accidentally bumped Durand into her first flight.) Around 10:30 Dixon left the sign on the King Street side of Standard Life, flew northeast by the Sheraton and tried to land on the east roof of Standard Life. He did not have quite enough height and ended up missing, coming to rest on a window ledge on that side of the building, 2 floors down from the roof. While this is a nice high perch, the window ledges are narrow and are not a very comfortable roost. Despite some flapping and moving about, Dixon seemed to lack the nerve to fly again. He too was still in the same spot when we left tonight. As long as there is no heavy rain, I expect both birds to test their wings again tomorrow (and maybe someone from the nest will join them too!)

THE 'D's DO IT - THREE AWAY!

June 17, 2009 - Part 1: Falconwatch Coordinator Sandra Davey reports: At 05:35 this morning Dixon left the ledge, flew in a nice arc over the Art Gallery of Hamilton and the school board parking lot, then tried to land on the main roof of the Standard Life building. He missed that one but landed a few feet below on top of the 'I-F-E' letters of that building's King Street sign. The adults kept a close eye on everyone and things seemed quiet until 07:12 when it appeared that Strathcona accidentally bumped Durand off the ledge. (The image at left shows Durand, closest to the camera, and Strathcona, just before Durand left the ledge.) All of a sudden we had two chicks on first flights! Durand flew in an opposite arc, going first over the Art Gallery and then back across to the Thompson Building, where she landed and immediately began squawking loudly. After a while she settled down and started exploring. Stay tuned. Things could get interesting if the expected rain is not heavy. Visitors to this evening's Wednesday Night Walk may get a good show.

STRATHCONA BACK HOME - WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM HER FRIENDS!

June 16, 2009: Falconwatch Coordinator Sandra Davey reports: Strathcona remained on the roof of the Thompson building for most of today. At 15:05 Madame X delivered a pigeon to her; her first meal since leaving the nest yesterday morning. However, Strathcona did not get to enjoy much of this meal. Surge came down to the roof several times and tried to take the food from her. After chasing him away several times, Strathcona finally allowed him to take it. After a little plucking, Surge took it up to the ledge to feed to the other chicks.

At 18:45 Strathcona took off from the Thompson building. She flew to the Sheraton but did not get enough height, and after unsuccessfully gripping a window ledge flew again. This time she circled over the Art Gallery and tried to land on the Thompson building. Again lacking the needed height, she slipped down the side and landed on the stairs to the plaza by the Stelco tower. From here she took a short, low flight and ended up in the Jackson Square Plaza between the Sheraton and Copps Coliseum where she was rescued by Falconwatchers. After a brief examination showed her to be in very good health she was returned to the roof of the Sheraton. In a very short time she was up on the edge of the roof and by 20:20 she had hopped back into the nest to rejoin her siblings. The first thing she did when she got back home was eat the leftovers from the pigeon that had been delivered first to her this afternoon. Images at left: top - the three stay-at-homes on the ledge at 20:20:30. (Note the food behind them.); bottom � ten seconds later Strathcona has arrived back on the ledge.

The other chicks were very active today, doing lots of flapping and 'helicoptering'. It probably won't be long before we have another chick testing its wings!

STRATHCONA FIRST TO FLY!

June 15, 2009: Part 2 - Falconwatch Coordinator Sandra Davey reports: By late afternoon we were able to get a good view of the chick that flew to the Thompson building and by reading her band identified her as Strathcona. (The image at left shows her on the upper ledge, facing Surge, seconds before she flew.) Strathcona spent the entire day on the upper roof of the Thompson building, exploring the roof top and ledges. She seemed quite content to stay there until this evening. Around 8PM, while walking along the edge of the upper roof, she lost her footing and slipped down to the lower roof. She landed there safely and proceeded to spend quite a while pacing back and forth along the west side of the lower roof. She kept looking around and seemed to be trying to decide where to go and whether she could make it back to the nest ledge. She was probably quite hungry by this point as she had not been fed since 7:40AM. Madame X and Surge flew close by several times today and also chased off some gulls that were bothering her, but neither adult delivered food to Strathcona. Around 20:45 Strathcona decided to spend the night on the south west corner of the Thompson building and settled down. Stay tuned to see where she decides to go tomorrow.

The three chicks on the ledge continued their flapping exercises but seem happy to stay at home for now. Those left on the ledge are fairly easy to tell apart. Dixon is the smallest and he has pale coloured feet. Gleig also has pale feet, however she is a very large, very dark bird. Durand has yellow feet.

Cindy

Winston
June 20th, 2009, 10:21 AM
update from today!

UP! UP! AND NOT FAR AWAY!

June 19, 2009 Falconwatch Coordinator Sandra Davey reports: Even though there was lots of activity downtown today, with the hockey rally and other goings on, it was business as usual with our falcon family. Dixon and Durand were both active early and were up and flying by 05:30. Although they had a few touchy moments and rough landings, by this evening both birds were flying well and are both showing a lot more confidence than they did yesterday. Both Dixon and Durand were doing a bit of soaring (a good sign that they are developing their skills) and both also did some flying with Surge by their sides. At almost exactly Noon Dixon became the first chick to make it back to the nest ledge under its own power. In the image at left he has just arrived and looks a bit out of breath - or is it just surprise that he made it OK?

Strathcona also tried out her wings again today. At 08:00 she left the nest and made a strong flight over the Board of Education parking lot out of the Falconwatchers' view. She remained "missing" until about 09:15 when she was found on the roof of the Standard Life building, where she stayed until 11:00 when she flew and ended up on the top window ledge on the south side of the Standard Life building. She seemed to decide that this was enough for one day and was still there at dusk. Gleig is still at home in the nest. She did lots of very strong flapping while leaning over the edge and many times we were sure she was going to get airborne. Stay tuned to find out when she finally decides to fly - it should be any day now.

chico2
June 20th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I just have to check in on the site,it's great that all 4 are dong good:thumbs up

SandraLM
July 4th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Here is the link for the follow up for the falcon nest on the lift bridge in Hamilton. There isn't a camera on this nest though. Sadly one of the babies went missing and no one knows what happened to it.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/c/sightings/burlington-lift-bridge/

chico2
July 4th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Thank you Sandra,I love to see the Falcons and that so many people are interested in their welfare:thumbs up

SandraLM
July 4th, 2009, 12:17 PM
It's nice to see the numbers climbing after what a mess the pesticides did many years ago. :thumbs up