Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Started on BARF... Now worried.

Nagini
March 13th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Hi everyone!

I have a 5 month old presa canario puppy, Lily, and I started her on barf diet a bit over 2 weeks ago. It wasnt' really a cold turkey switch, I had given her a bit of raw meat every now and then with her normal kibble diet.

Anyway, I know they might throw up with the switch and such. She throws up every now and then, but then she usually eats it again. I think maybe re-eating it helps it somehow, and I havent really been worrying about it.

But last night I woke up and heard her licking her lips VERY much. Then she threw up.. And threw up again.. Total of 10 times until there wasnt any pieces of bone in her puke anymore. 10 times!!!! :eek:

I'm thinking, she got some veggie mix earlier, but it was still very frozen. Can the cold veggie mix she got (it was like snow when I gave it), so could the cold veggie mix made her throw up like that at night? And well, she did eat some snow when we were outside too, and I remember someone once said that eating snow will make them throw up... Apparantely the coldness. I dont know :shrug:

Im just worried, when does this stop?! Throwing up every now and then, perfectly OK. But that last nighter made me really worried..

I hope I get some answers, I need some support! Thanks!

erykah1310
March 13th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Purging their food is perfectly normal with raw feeding.
I am not sure what to say about cold veggies, I don't feed veggies so I'm of no assistance there.
Have you given a broad spectrum digestive enzyme to her for the switch?
If not, I would head out to a pharmacy and pick some up, it helps them for the first little while transitioning completely to raw.

pitgrrl
March 13th, 2009, 09:48 AM
My two will vomit if they eat snow or frozen food, but it's usually just once and then their stomachs settle down. The number of times she vomited would probably have me looking to other causes, related to her food or not.

Nagini
March 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks for your replies!

Have you given a broad spectrum digestive enzyme to her for the switch?

-No, I havent. What is it? I live in Sweden and don't know what is it, so that I could find the same stuff here...

I talked with some people, and she did get quite alot of food yesterday. They said to me that puppies dont usually know how to say no to food, well mine cant anyway :goodvibes:, and eats everything they get. And that nightly thing could have been just emptying the too much food from her tummy. She did get more food yesterday than what she's used to getting.

erykah1310
March 13th, 2009, 11:13 AM
You only need to be feeding 10% of current weight to a growing pup or 3% of ideal weight. I feed 2% to my gang with the exception of one of them who has too much energy so burns alot just doing daily activities. 3% is what is fed to him when he eats raw.

I would imagine you could get the digestive enzymes there, check with your local drug store and see. Its a human digestive enzyme that really helped one of mine with the switch.
It aids in breaking down the food.

growler~GateKeeper
March 13th, 2009, 07:38 PM
-No, I havent. What is it? I live in Sweden and don't know what is it, so that I could find the same stuff here...

Look for acidophilus also called probiotic

We would love to see pics of Lily :D

Nagini
March 14th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks! I'll look for that. She is good now, and I've had no problems with her after it at all. A thing like that just makes me wonder a little, I get really worried when something happens... :-)

And aye aye, some pictures of Lily here!

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_WrYhvnSoyb8/SbuubzxA86I/AAAAAAAAAUw/9BdrvsbI6c4/s144/10032009410.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_WrYhvnSoyb8/SbuucUGnARI/AAAAAAAAAU4/NengRRrVbxM/11032009431.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_WrYhvnSoyb8/SbuucY2XawI/AAAAAAAAAVA/aKPYpCe5AQI/IMG_0701.jpg

growler~GateKeeper
March 15th, 2009, 01:22 AM
It is safe to continually supplement with a probiotic to ensure her natural bacterial count is balanced, it doesn't have to be just when an issue arises. :)

Lily is gorgeous :lovestruck: Love the last pic :cloud9:

Nagini
March 15th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks alot. I find her quite lovable too!

I haven't started supplements yet on her, but Ill check on that probiotic thing. I think she is still in some ways adjusting to all of this new fancy food she's getting and that might ease it up a little + as you said keep it as an continuous part of diet :)

LoveMyPresas
March 27th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Hi fellow presa lover :)
I switched my presas to raw a month and a half ago, and things are going great now. In the beginning, not so great.. LOTS of diarrhea (in the middle of the night in crate) and some vomiting but now things have smoothed out.. I don't feed any veggies.. Maybe once in a while if we have some left over, but right now my dogs eat chicken quarters only and some chicken liver at times.. I had them both on anti diarrhea liquid and gave them a spoonfull of yogurt on top of their chicken to help with their tummy.. it really seemed to help. Just go easy on introducing new foods, that's all I can recommend. The switch is hard for them, but once its done it's perfect :)