Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

More Very Sad News Please Help Me!!

lUvMyLaB<3
March 11th, 2009, 07:19 PM
ok, well many of you know about these kittens I have, and the one orange one that has not been gaining well. Well... Today was spent at the vet, it was meowing this morning and would not settle, I gave it a suppliment feeding and when I did I noticed its gums seemed white, then I tried to make it poop and pee like you do after a feeding and it wouldn't, although there was some white stuff instead of pee.. So off the the vet immedietly we went this was about 5:30 am.. It still seemed pretty pink but I thought something was up. The vet gave it a tiny bit of sub-q fluid and some electrolytes, but it is sooo small, what to do? Took him home, at about 11 or so, he rested for a bit then and seemed to pick up, then later in the afternoon started crying out, quite loud and would not settle, now it seemed to be getting very white and not pink, so back we went.. we do not know what is wrong, possible internal bleeding maybe I don't know, started to gasp after each cry...

So the only thing to do, was let him go.. I didn't want to, but I am sure there was pain.. he was not going to make it, there was no way.. I fought so hard for him, but in the back of my mind I knew the whole time.. I could not take him home and let him cry and suffer. I think the mother knew too, usually after I gave him a feed and put him back she would lick him and today she would not lick him at all... Did I do the right thing? Oh pleeease help me..

The good news is the ONE kitten that is left is doing great nice and fat and huge and comfy and quiet.. please pray that she makes it for me..

Why is this happening?..? I cannot handle it.. All because someone let their cat breed at 7 months old!!! and then did not give her the food and care she would need to give the kittens a start.. They are horrid people! Then just drop her off like some used toy and never think about the pain and heartbreak they cause the cats and my family, there needs to be laws to protect these cats because the people are not doing it!

14+kitties
March 11th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Aww hon :grouphug: my heart is bleeding for you. It is so hard to go through this. Please know you are doing what you need to do. The little one would not have made it. You let him rest. :candle::rip: little baby. :candle:
You have one left, gaining weight, doing well. All you can do is hope that this one makes it. And it is in no way your fault. It is the fault of the person who allowed her to breed at such a young age. She is still growing herself.

:grouphug: for you. It will get better soon.

Bailey_
March 11th, 2009, 07:40 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss!! :cry: Keep us posted on the little kittens progress, and just know that you're doing the best that you can. This world can be very cruel, and sometimes the rest of us are left to pick up the peices. You should be very proud of yourself! I know we are! :pawprint:

Jim Hall
March 11th, 2009, 07:41 PM
what happens at least around here due to inbreeding the litters can have a lot of genectically induced problems often excaberated by poor nutrition

I do not want to sound callous belive me I hate it to when kits fail to thrive, but its a reality esp for strays of the 7 kits that were around this fall, i think only 2 or 3 survivied

im soory to hear of the kits luv your still an angel and gave and are giving them a great chance/

TacoGrl
March 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM
:cry: My heart is breaking for you and the kitties :cry:

You are a wonderful person for taking momma in and helping as much as you are...babes from babes (animals and people) don't always have the best starts and some go back to God :angel2: It makes us very sad, but momma and her little one still need you and we are here for :grouphug: :)

cpietra16
March 11th, 2009, 08:02 PM
This is so close to my heart. You did everything humanly possible. Don't blame yourself. You and the mom did all you could do. Nature needs to take its course at the end...you'll never know why. But I'm glad you were there to help. RIP little:rip::sad: one.

TeriM
March 11th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I'm so sorry for all that has happened with this litter :sad:. I absolutely know that you have done everything possible to give these kittens a good chance at life and I'm sure you have also saved the momma.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
March 11th, 2009, 11:37 PM
:cry2: I'm so sorry LML :2huggers:

:rip: sweet :angel2: baby kit :candle:

:goodvibes: :goodvibes: for the baby kit left

catlover2
March 11th, 2009, 11:37 PM
It's always distressing to have a little kitty put down, but you really had no choice as it was in terrible pain, and likely would not have survived much longer. There was definitely something terribly wrong with the kitty, and momcat knew it, that's why she ignored it. So sorry, but glad to hear you have a strong healthy one. :goodvibes:

Luvmypitgirls
March 12th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I am so very sorry to hear what you've been going thru. What a wonderful person you are to take in this lil momma kitty and help her and her new babies.
I truly believe you made the best decision for the little kitty, please don't second guess yourself.

I truly wish there were more people like you, willing to open your heart and home to needy furbabies.

Many hugs to you, :2huggers:

Love4himies
March 12th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I am so sorry, LML :grouphug: :grouphug:. Fostering is so tough on the heart.

You did the right thing and is what I would have done. At that age, there is nothing a vet can do and if you brought him home, the poor kitten would have just suffered.

:rip: sweet kitten :candle:

ancientgirl
March 12th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I'm so sorry to hear you lost this baby. He was obviously not well, and maybe would have not made it. He's not suffering anymore, please know that.

I understand your anger. It makes me angry just reading about this. I just don't know what some people have brains for because they don't seem to use them for any common sense. The mommy is still just a kitten herself practically :sad:

This is why I don't think I could ever foster, especially mothers. I just don't feel I could handle it emotionally.

You are brave and have a lot of love to give. You need to be brave for the mommy here and her baby. Please don't beat yourself up, you are doing as much as you can.

krdahmer
March 12th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Oh I am so sorry, I know exactly how sad and frustrating it is when you do all you can for those little guys and they just aren't strong enough to pull through.:sad: :rip: little one :angel: It's such a shame that things like that aren't considered abuse....because by neglecting her they caused the death of those kittens.:frustrated:

Tundra_Queen
March 12th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I am so very sorry of your loss. I feel just sick. The poor kitten and the momma cat. You tried so hard to help the little one. *HUGS* You are such a kind loving person, it's not your fault.

Debbie

lUvMyLaB<3
March 12th, 2009, 04:57 PM
THank you all, those are some very very kind words. and it means a lot to me to hear them. I cannot help but feel guilty, when you take on the responsibility of caring for animals that are not your own it feels terrible when something like this happens.

I just tried so hard for him. I knew that something was wrong, we had been to the vet a few times already. and he was like not even a week old. He was not gaining, some days we could get a few grams on him but days that he gained none, he was very scrawny, but seemed lively and that is what gave me hope. There must have been some internal bleeding, he was very pale and I am sure in pain why else would he cry out like that? I could not just leave him to die at home I think he was suffering, he seemed to gasp for air after each cry also, maybe blood in his lungs? I wanted to get him out of that pain as fast as I could. Like L4H said, there is nothing you can do when they are that small.....

Thanks again everyone

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Don't blame yourself, LML. :grouphug: Sometimes babies just don't thrive. You gave it your best effort, but it was basically out of your hands. :candle:

Focus on Mom and her remaining baby...they are so much better off for being with you rather than out on the street. :goodvibes: for both of them and :grouphug: for you...